Which Gold Bug Is This? Pics Attached.

So I found this Gold Bug detector for sale.  The owner says it is the GB2 which it appears to be by the housing, but I think it may be an earlier version (?).  Id appreciate if anyone could give me some info on this unit.  In particular, my questions are:

What frequency does it run on?

Is it as sensitive as the GB2?

Is this maybe something similar to the CZ3D where the older models are more desirable/better?

Thanks guys.

Jon

17842.jpeg.cbd3fcb1ffaf096f86e7547a971b2a8c.jpeg17842.jpeg.cbd3fcb1ffaf096f86e7547a971b2a8c.jpeg

17843.jpeg

17844.jpeg

17845.jpeg

17846.jpeg

17847.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N7XW said:

So I found this Gold Bug detector for sale.  The owner says it is the GB2 which it appears to be by the housing, but I think it may be an earlier version (?).  Id appreciate if anyone could give me some info on this unit.  In particular, my questions are:

What frequency does it run on?

Is it as sensitive as the GB2?

Is this maybe something similar to the CZ3D where the older models are more desirable/better?

See the link phrunt provides above.

The owner is misrepresenting or does not know what he is selling. Bad sign. It is not a Gold Bug 2, but earlier model.

Runs at low gain 19 kHz

Nowhere close to the Gold Bug 2, which replaced it. But decent on larger nuggets in bad ground.

I would have to argue that not even a CZ3D is desirable/better than newer options. There is an analog nostalgia crowd that might argue such. I think my wired rotary phone made more reliable phone calls than my cell phone. But I’m still not going back to a rotary phone.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The owner is misrepresenting or does not know what he is selling. Bad sign. It is not a Gold Bug 2, but earlier model.

Runs at low gain 19 kHz

Nowhere close to the Gold Bug 2, which replaced it.

Hopefully just an honest mistake....  Two used Gold Bug 2's (each with 2 coils) sold for between $500 and $600 each within the last week.  They looked to be in very good shape.  (Pretty sure Fisher still doesn't honor warranty transfers on most detectors so that wouldn't be relevent.)  That 'original Gold Bug' as it's often called doesn't come close in used prices realized.  The Gold Bug 2 is still at least close to state-of-the-art.  As Simon and Steve mentioned, the 'new Fisher Gold Bug' (of which there are many varieties -- base model, Pro, F19, Teknetics G2, Teknetics G2+, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Pro -- see Steve's Database) all run at the same frequency as that one shown in the photo -- 19 kHz, and with quite a few features.  Here's a used F19 (manufactured just 8 months ago, and appears hardly used) for sale (fixed asking price, not up for auction) for $315 (includes conUS shipping).  That one comes with the 5"x10" closed elliptical coil which is preferred by many of the gold detectorists who use these detectors.

• Like 1

Well I knew this would be the place to ask.  Thank you guys,  I certainly appreciate the responses.

I get the impression that the seller may not be familiar with the differences in the GB model line (as was I), an honest mistake.

Based on what you guys have told me and Steve's excellent background info, I'm going to pass on this one.  The seller was asking $250 and I just found a brand new GB standard model on clearance for the same price.  As much as I'd like the added ground balance of the GB pro, I don't think it justifies an additional $400.   I do kinda have my heart set on the GB2 still so will probably add one of those too eventually.

Thanks again guys!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N7XW said:

I just found a brand new GB standard model on clearance for the same price.  

at the price of $250 I would highly suspect chinese counterfeit. buy from a reputable dealer to avoid any chance of counterfeit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N7XW said:

The seller was asking $250 and I just found a brand new GB standard model on clearance for the same price.  As much as I'd like the added ground balance of the GB pro, I don't think it justifies an additional $400.

Can't speak to the authenticity, etc. of the standard model you found for $250.  But don't pay $650 for the Pro since the Fisher F19 has all the features of the Fisher GB Pro and then some, and new you can find it for $450 total (ConUS shipping included) on Ebay.  That's with the 5"x10" coil.  If you want the 7"x11" coil instead, the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Pro (same features as F19) should be available for $400 from some dealers.  (If it were me I'd pay the $315 for the used F19 I mentioned above before I'd fork out $450 just to get a warranty.  But that's me.)

There has been quite a bit of discussion here as to why Fisher wants more for the Gold Bug Pro than the F19.  Apparently it's all in the marketing.  Just one more reason to come here and get the real scoop before committing you $.

• Like 4

I would simply tell the seller that it is not what he has stated and let him know it is only worth about half of what he wants.

I would also provide proof of what you are saying when you talk to him.

At that price it would be a good price if it works properly.

I contacted the seller and told him about the difference between his unit and the GB2.  After turning down that machine I decided to drive up to Cabelas and get the new GB for $250.  Turns out they had an F19 in the store for $400 that wasnt listed on the website.  Being unfamiliar with that unit too, I took some time to research, mostly on this site (thanks Steve!).  Since Steve preferred the 5x10 coil. I was planning on getting it for the GB too.  That would have made the cost the same.  So between the GB and F19, I chose the F19.

Even though it was a deal, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gotten it.  I was thinking my Infinium with the 5x10 coil may be similar in depth and sensitivity albeit no discrimination.  I dont know yet, just speculation.  I'm going to do some testing in the next couple days and see what happens.

14 hours ago, N7XW said:

Even though it was a deal, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gotten it.  I was thinking my Infinium with the 5x10 coil may be similar in depth and sensitivity albeit no discrimination.

Generally an IB/VLF and a PI complement each other.  In Gerry McMullen's class he shows how different detectors are better/worse for different types of naturally occurring gold.  (That demo includes the aircraft carrier Minelab GPZ7000.)

And there's Steve H.'s mantra (paraphrased):  "use a VLF when you can and a PI when you have to."  Don't undervalue discrimination!

$400 for a new F19 with 5"x10" is a very good deal.  Cabellas seems to have these sales occasionally with prices that are better than the MAP (agreed upon "Min Advertised Price").  Supposedly that's OK as long as they don't advertise them.  Not your problem, for sure.  Enjoy that new detector!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 8:02 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I think my wired rotary phone made more reliable phone calls than my cell phone. But I’m still not going back to a rotary phone.

Imagine texting on a rotary phone?