32 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

A lot of bottle caps will have a ferrous “edge” to the signal if using tones. But some just sound good so you have to dig them. My deepest signal so far was a quiet little tone in sand. Over ten scoops later there was the bottle cap. I started getting the ferrous edge when I got close, but by then I was determined to see it with my eyeballs.

I swear that the Corona bottling plant is just down the road from me and not in Mexico.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 7/3/2020 at 10:27 AM, schoolofhardNox said:

P7020141.JPG

Man I got to tell YA. I don't want to find any of that stuff  IN FACT the Corona pant is down the street from me!!!!!

If this detector can't dial that stuff[I had a few margaritas] OUT. Well then....

Dave 

To be perfectly honest, I kind of suspected bottlecaps would be a challenge with different alloys, state of decay, different depths....they even sound different depending on which way they are pointing up. The litterers could at least leave me the odd unopened one every now and again 🍺 

• Like 1

Oh MY!  A few weeks ago I pocketed 50 bottle caps from surface and Equinox.  I was digging all signals.  Thank you for cleaning up whatever area you hunted!    After seeing this, I agree with Joe that the water and early winter is the spot for the AQ

• Like 3

17 hours ago, midalake said:

Man I got to tell YA. I don't want to find any of that stuff  IN FACT the Corona pant is down the street from me!!!!!

If this detector can't dial the stuff[I had a few margaritas] OUT. Well then....

Dave 

All PI's and a bunch of VLF struggle with bottle caps. Once the season is over and the beach is cleaned up, it will mellow out a bit. Then that is when the deep stuff can be found. I don't usually hunt this early in the season, but will try and get out when I can. Who knows maybe someone will come up with a way to ID them before digging them. I don't mind the exercise, and this machine is going to compliment my Equinox and GPX nicely. One machine for tiny gold. one machine for Deep gold and one machine for deep silver. I think I have it covered now 😄

• Like 1

I would rather have a root canal than hunt dry sand. Been there done that, but that's just me. (BTW... never had a root canal, but I've heard stories!!!) I prefer the water and with that at least waist deep. It seems the further you are submerged the less trash and as Joe B has done... if trashy, dig the deep faint targets. It really is all about location. I intend to hunt the East coast of Florida if the AQ ever appears at my door and that will be only the long wet sand slopes. On the Gulf side... the water.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, okara gold said:

I would rather have a root canal than hunt dry sand. Been there done that, but that's just me. (BTW... never had a root canal, but I've heard stories!!!) I prefer the water and with that at least waist deep. It seems the further you are submerged the less trash and as Joe B has done... if trashy, dig the deep faint targets. It really is all about location. I intend to hunt the East coast of Florida if the AQ ever appears at my door and that will be only the long wet sand slopes. On the Gulf side... the water.

Root canal? That sounds painful. 😧  😄 I didn't have a lot of choice but to do the dry sand since the tide was high and my time was limited. But dry sand can yield information too. That's all I'm going to do is gather info until the fall when I can do all day hunts and work the wet sand hard. I know some people are disappointed in seeing all that trash, but that is the way I gain knowledge about a new machine. I did the same with my GPX for a while, until I learned where it was best to use and where it lacked performance. The dry sand has yielded me a huge amount of silver coins from this beach, so that is where the GPX works the best (for me). The GPX handled the wet sand OK but the amount of iron killed it's performance. The wet sand and water is where I'm hoping the AQ can excel at. But in the meantime, I hope everybody gains some insight from these dry sand hunts. I hope no one is discouraged about what this machine may be capable of doing, since it hasn't been out long enough to even scrape the surface of what it may do. OBN's hunts give you some solid data on what it can do in the water, in an experienced person's hands. I'm sure it will have it's place in dry sand as well, although the trash count will be much higher.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I know some people are disappointed in seeing all that trash,

I’m not disappointed at all. I’m one of those guys who is looking for depth / power in a PI. I’ll dig the trash to find the treasure. I found this ring about a year ago. It is 14K and rang a solid 14 on the Equinox. Identical ID to all the pull tabs I was finding. I was hunting the wet sand just about at high tide line which was littered with pull tabs and bottle caps. Apparently no one was digging them so I figured their might be a ring. Sure enough!

12C13B18-00C1-4D50-9660-BC3FFED7BB2A.jpeg

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, okara gold said:

I’m not disappointed at all. I’m one of those guys who is looking for depth / power in a PI. I’ll dig the trash to find the treasure. I found this ring about a year ago. It is 14K and rang a solid 14 on the Equinox. Identical ID to all the pull tabs I was finding. I was hunting the wet sand just about at high tide line which was littered with pull tabs and bottle caps. Apparently no one was digging them so I figured their might be a ring. Sure enough!

Nice hit. I think this machine will not disappoint in the depth category. My two most favorite things about the AQ is how quick the coil responds when you pinpoint and how nice and smooth the threshold is.

• Like 2

That's about 75 bottle caps less to mask over the potentially better deeper targets.  I get all that crap off my beaches so that I can concentrate on the deep stuff next time, and if I happen to find a gold ring mixed in with the caps, all the better.   

• Like 2