Initial Thoughts On The Pulsedive

Well, I took the plunge and bought my first Nokta-Makro product. I went to my nearest dealer and he had one left. Just the base pinpointer without coil. This actually worked out better for me because I was primarily interested in the 8" coil and didn't want to have to purchase the 5.5" which I doubt I'll ever use. So I paid just $99 for the base unit and he ordered me a coil for $84. This way I pay $183 and get the coil I want, rather than $160 and $84 = $244. Doing it this way, you would not get the nifty carry case however. You'd have to order that separate if you want it. In a few days when the coil comes in I'll leave some thoughts on that. 

For now, I'll say this and rather begrudgingly...I think this pinpointer is the best deal going right now, even if you don't want the full setup and just want a pinpointer. Like every other NM product released particularly over the last couple years it's very well built, and it is built with the future and innovation in mind. I didn't want to like this company, for a lot of reasons, but they have more to do with my own sentimentality for American and even Western products. Particularly here in the US I didn't want to see companies like Whites boxed into a no win, no profit situation. So, it's never been about performance. I watch the forums and social media enough to know the performance and build quality was there. I needed a product I just couldn't resist. At first I thought that might be an Anfibio or a Simplex, but even they haven't broken down that wall. The original full Pulsedive was already almost too good to resist on its own. Then when Dilek quietly announced the 8" coil and I saw the evidence that it was boosting depth by 30% and coverage too obviously, that set me over the finish line.

We know what an underwater metal detector costs in this hobby. Their are competing products that don't offer this much, at a far greater price. Many people seem to do quiet well with just straight forward Pulse induction, and you can't beat 60m (200 feet). Let's face it, if you're looking for lost jewels or a ship wreck, disc is probably mostly out of the question anyway. It would be for me. So not only will this be a pinpointer for me, it will likely be my anything past 10ft primary diver for a while. 

The base unit is rather large for a pinpointer, but that's to be expected with something that converts to another form, and I don't mind that at all. There's also a possibly unintended advantage here where if any part of this machine fails, it's so compartmentalized you can replace it rather cheaply and easily. The unit feels good in the hand and to me is easy to program/adjust. So far, I have done limited depth comparison, but it seems to be on par with some of the more powerful pinpointers, like my TRX and Tek-Point. If straight up pinpointer depth is all that matters you still seem better off with a TRX, but not by much at all now. That gap is closing and could probably be filled via software at some point. Like the TRX, you can replace any wearable external part on it, including shell. Unlike the TRX you can add on to this (probably in more ways than coil in the future), possibly update its software?, recharge its built in lithium ion battery, pair it with existing and future products, and clearly see it's flashlight. $99 vs $160 bear in mind as you process that. With the base pinpointer I got two caps, several gasket seals, a lanyard, charging/update facility cord, and a well constructed holster. I have no complaints about field performance. Like the TRX and Tek-Point, The power is there to pinpojnt objects above the ground before you ever begin to dig. If you're one of those that thinks that's too much power for a pinpointer, you can dial it back as much as you like too. I do prefer a tip only pinpointer, but I'm not much bothered by those that detect along the entire shaft either. 

These are my initial impressions. They may be better classified as a value comparison, but I'll leave that up to Steve. I'll share more of the smaller details and coil info when it comes in and I gain more experience with it. At this point though, if I were just starting out, or needed 1 good pinpointer, I think I'd be foolish not to consider this the best deal out there and a no brainer If it could be my only unit. I don't see myself parting with the TRX because it still is the flat out depth demon and I admire it just as a pedal to the floor piece of technology. I do think I will be parting with my Tek-Point however if all else goes well here. This is what any future Tek-Point needs to compete with though, and that's not about depth either. Tek has the punch. It's the innovation and features that set it apart. 

Update: initially I assumed updateable software thinking I'd read that somewhere. I'm not sure this is the case, and may have mixed up descriptions in my head. I haven't been able to corroborate that yet. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ☠ Cipher said:

I do prefer a tip only pinpointer, but I'm not much bothered by those that detect along the entire shaft either.

I may have missed it.  Which type is the Nokta/Makro Pulse Dive?

Nice review.

36 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I may have missed it.  Which type is the Nokta/Makro Pulse Dive?

Nice review.

This beauty here. Converts from a pinpointer to a handheld pulse induction diver with either a 5.5" coil or 8" coil. The loop conversion is optional. You could buy just the pinpointer for around $100 and the option to purchase the loop separately is always there. 

IMG_3478.PNG

• Like 1

I got the box set, and the 8" coil about a week or so ago! I've only charged it and made sure all the accessories fit and worked! Did a few air tests, but no water test yet! It supposedly won't do full depth,  until it's in the salt water! I would like to do a salt water, fresh water, and land comparison to see the difference in depth for each!

**Be careful that the accessories are lined up properly when installing! I'm going to remove the "Red Arrow" stickers, and use permanent ink, or nail polish to mark the alignment spots! The stickers will not last long in water, i suspect! 

**I can see that the little plastic "stop" tab may be a possible weak point! As it may not be hard to snap it off, if you are not careful!

**The attachments must be swapped out, and attached in air! (Check gaskets!!) No underwater swapping, or carrying seperated, unless kept dry! I'm thinking drybag or box, if i need to bring more than one attachment in the water with me!

**The box kit comes with (2) caps!  A Vented "Land Only" cap, and a Nonvented "Water" cap! I will probably keep the Water cap on full time! One less thing to forget to install! And "sound only" mode was plenty loud enough with it on! 

I did not receive any English instructions, so i will have to hunt them down on the internet!

That's about all i have so far! Good luck all!👍👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My only issue and the reason I stick with my orange carrot is I like being able to keep extra 9v battery in the truck when my battery dies instead of being stuck recharging a pinpointer. 

But that said I might end up buying the basic pointer just to try it out

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 57buick said:

My only issue and the reason I stick with my orange carrot is I like being able to keep extra 9v battery in the truck when my battery dies instead of being stuck recharging a pinpointer. 

But that said I might end up buying the basic pointer just to try it out

Developing the habit to regularly charge after each use (I have an XP wireless audio pinpointer) will prevent that occurrence, but if you already have a Carrot anyway, there's your backup and you still have the 9vdc spare on top of that.  I always have a spare pinpointer in the truck and a backup detector if at a remote site.  Don't need an equipment failure ruining a perfectly good day away from work and honey-do's.

• Like 1