Test On 4mm Yellow Gold Stud Earring

In my now bone  dry ground I buried this target at  about 3inches,maybe a tad more.With the earring  lying flat on the ground and the post facing me I might get a weak signal one way but it is so  soft and not   repeatable that it would be hard to hunt this way with the GMX and 4by6 coil.It is hard also to  tell it from a false  signal.This coil with the cover on is a fail for me in this test.The earring is 10k at 2.8 grains.

I then put on  the much loved 6inch concentric coil with no cover ( GMX) on this target and got nice soft   repeatable hit with post facing me with a little room to spare. I then could turn on target and get some weaker hits on the more difficult angles.   I would say this  coil passes  on this test with a good grade for a very tough target. They are much     tougher targets then most   ring hunting situations.

I tried the Nox with 11" coil on this tough  target that  has 2 pieces  of junk  about 12 inches on  both sides and in all the park 2 modes and all the gold 2 modes it was a no go.I wonder if the junk is hindering with that signal.I will try 6" coil after.                                                           

Were we going to see a picture of the earring?

4 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

I tried the Nox with 11" coil on this tough  target

That is strange, last year I was in field 2 setting and factory settings all the way around and came across a similar earring about 3 inches down. The signal was week but sounded in both directions around 10-12 VDI.

Was park 2 the only setting you used and after GB and Noise what were your settings?

9 minutes ago, 2Valen said:

That is strange, last year I was in field 2 setting and factory settings all the way around and came across a similar earring about 3 inches down. The signal was week but sounded in both directions around 10-12 VDI.

Was park 2 the only setting you used and after GB and Noise what were your settings?

I tried the gold modes and this earring is smaller then most.In park 2 in multi I had sens.  at 20 with recovery at 4 with f2 0 bias.20 and 40 kz. sens. was near max . The gold modes were about the same settings.I  think the nearby junk hinders me  from getting a distinguished signal on this target.That is  why small coils have their place.None of my gold earrings will give a id at 10-12.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

I tried the gold modes and this earring is smaller then most

My mistake, mine was fairly larger than most with a diamond in it, and was about the size of a nickel.

It was probably heavier than yours as I never weighed it (no scales ) to determine the weight.

My wife showed it to me when I asked her about it, she is hoping I find the other one.

• Like 1

I put the  6" coil on the nox  and used park 2 mode sens .22 in multi  freq. first  and tried   all  modes in park 2 in  2 tone.  multi gave me mostly weak iron  tones and gave me them in  most angles. In 20kz. I got very weak  iron hits in 24 sens..In 40kz. I got  stronger iron and some  none iron hits and seemed less coil  speed demand to get a good signal at max sens. I Got a hit in most angles.In gold 2 mode in multi freq. with sens .21 I got not  that  bad a signal that seemed better with faster swing speed with mixed id.In 20kz it was a weaker but smooth signal with worse id at 24 sens. At  max sens. in 40 kz. I got a very nice signal with mixed id that was tighter and less sensitive to  swing speed.I would use 40kz. in gold mode for this target for my first choice.You could put all the park 2 modes in 1 tone to get a smoother signal and  decide what to dig .