First Gold Nugget With MDT 8000

Very nice report Steve! Hope to see you using the Salinity balance next time. The salinity could have calmed that tin down for you. Didn’t you get a couple coil covers w that unit?

16 hours ago, Aaron said:

Very nice report Steve! Hope to see you using the Salinity balance next time. The salinity could have calmed that tin down for you. Didn’t you get a couple coil covers w that unit?

Yes, the unit came with two fitted scuff covers. But not a solid full bottom one like I am describing would be beneficial as a nugget hunting accessory.

I wish the salinity control was a magic solution. However, even run at 50 it has no discernible effect on these type flat steel targets, while at the same time definitely attenuating the response to gold nuggets. That is why I ended up running it disabled.

• Like 1

I have owned my first Tarsacci over a year and a half now and have tried no less than five different sets of phones on it. I liked it so much I bought a second one used. I also prefer mixed mode as it is ( for me ) deeper than all metal or disc. I too have a rough time with the high tone but for me, after much testing, the Sun Ray Pro gold are by far the phones of my choice. I am a water hunter mostly and I don’t worry about them not being waterproof. With the control box submerged mostly, I rely on tones only. I especially like the volume controls to balance out the audio. Don’t let the simplicity of the machine fool you as there really is a multitude of settings available in combinations that at first you may not pick up on. All in all, it is a fantastic machine. Congratulations on the nugget. First time out that ain’t bad !!!

• Like 1

Can you hear the iron off the edge of the coil? I do that quite a bit to check on bottle caps when coin shooting. Get bit of a grunt on edge tip or tail and I move on.

1 hour ago, kac said:

Can you hear the iron off the edge of the coil? I do that quite a bit to check on bottle caps when coin shooting. Get bit of a grunt on edge tip or tail and I move on.

Nugget detecting in mineralized ground can be a bit tricky. The bottom line is pretty simple... gold reads well into the ferrous range. This means that if you employ any ferrous discrimination at all, you will leave some nuggets behind. This is why serious nugget hunters always dig all targets, and why an $8000 nugget detector like a GPZ 7000 has no ferrous rejection.

But some places have too much trash and you do not have enough time. You can go about the situation in a couple different ways. You can aggressively try and make targets go ferrous, and in highly mineralized ground, if you try hard enough, you will probably succeed. You will also walk away from more gold than a person who is willing to dig targets that are “iffy”, which is the other way to go about it. Do you look for reasons to dig, or look for reasons not to dig? It is not uncommon at all to get targets that give off both ferrous and non-ferrous responses, bouncing up and down. They could be trash, they could be a nugget. Do you dig them, or don’t you?

All I can tell you is these flat “tin” targets read aggressively non-ferrous. This is not like some unknown issue... many detectorists can tell you about the wonders of rotted steel cans. The only detectors that I know of that pretty much squash the stuff are the BBS/FBS machines, but they are also not well regarded as nugget machines by many people for various reasons. One major reason being that the aggressive rejection of ferrous comes at too high a cost in gold nugget capability.

Non-Ferrous Reading As Ferrous

Tune Out Nails, You Will Miss Gold

garrett-target-id-gold-range-ferrous-overlap.jpg
Ferrous/non-ferrous overlap region

• Like 3