Quick Summary Detecting With The AQ

7 hours ago, Beach Pirate said:

Hi Kenne-Bill,

Appreciate your summary. Good to see the AQ is in the hands of another water hunter.

When fully submerged, do you think it is possible to keep pulse delay at 7 but reduce sensitivity to stabilize falsing? 

Thanks again 👍

I had the sensitivity at the preset mark 4, I suppose setting it lower could help reduce falsing but 4 is already somewhat in the lower range approaching 0.

6 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Thanks for the report on the AQ. Did the rings have a strong response? Any guess on how deep the Titanium ring was? I agree the AQ does have a solid, easy to swing feel to it.

Yes the rings had a strong response, the Titanium ring I believe was a fresh drop and no more than a few inches deep. 

• Like 3

I found those lower sensitivity settings greatly reduced the depth capabilities. I tried it on several targets that I found in all metal and sensitivity maxed. I then lowered the sensitivity and found many signals disappeared when set at 5 or lower.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tony said:

There’s a reason why detectors such as the discontinued Tesoro Sand Shark had a minimum start delay of about 25uS.

I think the Tdi is another kind of beast Tony...I strongly suggest You to try and find the "sweet spot" between noise and "life signals" under the coil...

(In saltwater):

>Turn on the gain to 40/50%

>turn delay Up from 10uS and meanwhile Bob the coil to where the noise seems to gently disappear...Check the number...

>last one, if you want two tones, turn on GB and raise it to the nickel coin level to be accepted with high pitch tone...(try on land the first medium conductive one).

now, you might find other 30/40 %of gain available without to hear the screaming bit.... in your ears.

Don't change the order but follow Gain+delay+eventually GB.

Just my recent experience after months of crazyness.

• Like 2

Good report and Thank God we have another person who hunts in the water.. 

bit noisy especially when swinging the coil away from the shoreline into deeper water 

Try hunting "in to shore" instead of parallel with the beach...., then out.....going out is not as... but going in it's smoother and you can really hear the Halo's of deep old targets. Let me know if that works for you... also Pinpointing...... pumping the coil on deep targets will pull them up better so you can center them to dig. The problem lies you can only swing that big coil so fast in the water..so by pumping the coil to the left..(weak / disappearing signal) then to the center (strongest signal) then to the right..where it fades out...then I just pump back to the center (strongest) and do a little forwards backwards centering then.... dig... , like the wiggle wiggle of the BBS machines they can really come in stronger. A smaller coil would make it better for the........... in the water hunters...Alexandre.. :)

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Try hunting "in to shore" instead of parallel with the beach...., then out.....going out is not as... but going in it's smoother

Same thing helped with the HH Pulse. Other thing that helped was holding the coil just off or barely touching the bottom and letting the wave motion sweep the coil. That way it didn't sound as much on the moving water and when timed right with the water movement would give more listen time for targets and less listen time for detector settling.

3 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

A smaller coil would make it better for the........... in the water hunters...Alexandre.. 🙂

How does the water drag on the AQ compare to the drag on the 10 inch Excal?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cudamark said:

I found those lower sensitivity settings greatly reduced the depth capabilities. I tried it on several targets that I found in all metal and sensitivity maxed. I then lowered the sensitivity and found many signals disappeared when set at 5 or lower.

Okay, having not used the AQ, it sounds like the Sensitivity function impacts the detector far more than other PI detectors that I have used.

3 hours ago, tvr said:

Other thing that helped was holding the coil just off or barely touching the bottom and letting the wave motion sweep the coil.

UGH, Hate trying to keep separation. My hunting style is coil glued to the carpet. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 9:32 AM, midalake said:

UGH, Hate trying to keep separation. My hunting style is coil glued to the carpet. 

I think the intent here is to let the wave and swell motion move the coil across the sea floor as this will reduce the salt signal as the coil and salt water “target” move as one. I always do this when possible as it’s also less fatiguing. In my rough hunting conditions, sometimes I say to Mother Nature....”so where are you taking me this time?” On more than one occasion, I have been swept along and detected a nice gold ring that I probably would never have detected over.

• Like 5