When Does A Zinc Penny Signal Make You Feel Good?

17 minutes ago, 2Valen said:

Beautiful finds and glad to know that I need to keep digging those ranges.

Love the turquoises pendant very nice and I bet your wife is wanting it.

That turquoise pendant is definitely very unique and a keeper. Not currently married but I'll save it for.................who knows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Not currently married but I'll save it for.................who knows.

So when you say your a prospector you really mean it in so many ways.

2 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

Hi I havent beeped for coins in a few years but dont indian cents read at or near zincs and crew caps as well ???:ohmy: Mike C...:ph34r:

Sure do.  Funny(?) story -- I was in a schoolyard and for some reason decided the area I was hunting wasn't old enough to contain IH's, so I (not so intelligently) chose not to dig the Zincoln zone.  After about a 4 hour hunt I was home looking through my finds, surprised to see the wreath and then the headdress.  Well, apparently it was hitting 21-22 but I sure was disappointed in myself for skipping the 19-20 signals on the ML Eqx.  Most of the time digging Zincolns just isn't that time consuming since they tend to be shallow, anyway, and can be maskers in the least.

I guess it's possible that a clean cut at 21 (dig 21 and above, ignore 20 and below) will get all the IH's and miss the Zincolns, but it's usually not that easy, and of course we never really know the true ID of the targets we leave in the ground.  I'm sure I've left some gold rings by skipping over the pulltab zone.

Very nice ring !   

When is a "zinc penny" signal a good thing for me?

When I'm in a Ghost Town -   likely an IHC or token. 

When I'm in the shallow water looking for gold rings. 

When it's a deep target in a park or old yard. 

Rich - 

• Like 1

Real nice ring and all from digging a penny signal! Way to go! A few years back I was in the water and had a scrambled type of signal , all broken up and I almost didn't dig it. It turned out to be a long 18K chain with an 18K gold  Poseidon medal. But why the strange signal.... It also had 2 silver charms on each side of the medal. So the machine was reading the gold and silver, hence the erratic signal.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

OK, I need to quit screwing around up at Tahoe with the Impulse and get back to turf hunting for gold. Very inspiring Jeff... thanks! 👍🏻

Thanks for the post Steve. I am definitely not one to toot my own horn or look for recognition. I posted just so those of you who need inspiring can still get out there and find these drops too. It makes everyone believe that they really are still out there even in your basic municipal park turf. You just need a decent detector, some perseverance-experience and some old fashioned luck.

Jeff

• Like 1