The headphone cable on the AQ underwater headphones is over 6 feet long. But it is coiled up so tightly it pulls on and stresses the cable near to where it connects to the detector.

Now certainly a good preventative measure is to use a tie wrap to attach the cable to the rod under the elbow as a strain relief. I'm a little lazier though and want my headphones to not be pulling that hard in the first place. The cable should hang with a bit of a slack in it before it gets to the detector, instead of pulling sharply upward.

So this is an oldtimers trick to relax the cable on new headphones. Just tie them up and let them hang. You usually do not have to worry about them getting too long. In fact, you may have to do it again later as the try to go back to the original coiled configuration. But I get mine to where I want them, and worry a lot less about stressing the connector down the road.

the-hanging-headphone-trick.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

When I made head phones several years ago I got some coiled cables in that were tight and were only 3 foot. I though I got a deal at 3 dollars each but when I seen them I figured 10 for the trash can...But I got looking at them and the were so tightly coiled I did the same thing you did, but one step further. I headed them with the heat gun...after about two runs with the heat gun they were 4 foot long and looked perfect..with lots to spare. The things we do to customize are machines!!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

When I made head phones several years ago

Still dreaming to make one of the amplified GG...Even if on the Ctx the treshold is all but an help and I solved the scarce audio output just increasing pitch Hz...

• Like 1