New Nokta Very Noisy...

Hello all! New to the forum. Got a Nokta Simplex+ to replace my old Whites detector. First 2 times my son and I took it out, we found good stuff (knife, ring, and a dime). Took it out yesterday, and on any setting, it is just beeping like crazy. And the numbers jump from 10-90. Even when not moving the detector.

Just saw a post about a wonky update, and wondering if we should so something about that. Or is there a way to reset this thing and tune it in?

My old Whites had a ground control knob, but was also from the 1960's... lol

Thanks for any help/advice!

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Could have been electrical interference at that location, which usually can be confirmed by moving to a new location.

Thanks Steve! We just brought it out to try it here at our house, and same thing. I will do the reset and see what happens. Thanks again!!

It does sound like EMI but you don't indicate if you were at a different location.  As Steve said, switching to a different location will confirm this.  Also remember that the Simplex will go nuts if you have a pinpointer on nearby.  I would recommend doing the latest update; a "mute" function is included that is a very effective workaround for the pinpointer noise issue.  I have used my Simplex in a various locations and have never encountered a noise issue like you have mentioned.  Good luck!

bill

• Like 1

I do not have the simplex but my buddy does, I have the MK and I will tell you that we both suffer from EMI. The biggest culprit's are transformers, power lines not so much. I hunt a couple of great places that make my machine go crazy, especially with the 11 inch coil. Turn down the volume and listen to the hard hits. The machine will overpower the noise and jumpy numbers on good targets. You will hear good solid tones when you go over something good. This will take some time to get used to in the bad areas but I promise you that it works. Be patient and you will be a master of the simplex, they are a great machine. Also pay attention to the sounds your machine makes and not so much the numbers, this will help you find a few more pieces of treasure that you might pass by. good luck and please show us some of your finds.

Coil connection may be loose.   Nokta waterproof connectors are hard to tighten with the cord wrapped around the shaft.   I recommend you tighten the connection prior to wrapping the cable around the shaft.  Once the connection is tight, then rotate the lower rod to wrap the cable.   I have to do this with my Gold Kruzer or I can't get the connection tight. 

Once you can rule out the coil connector,  Do a factory reset.  

If you are getting noise while holding the detector still, turn down the sensitivity to the lowest setting.  Should go quiet.  The raise the sensitivity until the chatter resumes.   Frequency shift and see if you can find a quieter one that will allow you to raise your sensitivity higher.  If not, lower your sensitivity until its quiet.  That is your hunt setting.

If you want to hunt with a noisy detector, raise the sensitivity and go for it....but the whole purpose of the sensitivity control is for just this purpose.

HH
Mike

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, kac said:

Ever solve the issue?

No sir. Took it apart, cleaned it up, put it together, reset all settings, and still just goes crazy (even when not moving it) when we turn it on. And just missed return window of course... lol. Might try firmware rollback...?

• Like 1