New Nokta Very Noisy...

So this happens where ever you use it and I don't mean in or around your house? You took it to an open area away from power lines and buildings and it still does the same thing? Have you turned the sensitivity down to about half and tried it in different modes? Is the threshold tone ON or OFF?

It has a 2 year warranty. Service Center is in Ringgold GA. Just call or email them.

Nokta Makro Service Center
862 Laffayette Street 
Unit 1162
Ringgold, GA 30736
1 706 619 2601
service@noktamakrorepairs.com

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

So this happens where ever you use it and I don't mean in or around your house? You took it to an open area away from power lines and buildings and it still does the same thing? Have you turned the sensitivity down to about half and tried it in different modes? Is the threshold tone ON or OFF?

It has a 2 year warranty. Service Center is in Ringgold GA. Just call or email them.

862 Laffayette Street 
Unit 1162
Ringgold, GA 30736
1 706 619 2601

I am emailing right now. Thanks!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

862 Laffayette Street 
Unit 1162
Ringgold, GA 30736
1 706 619 2601

Yes, we tried it in different parts of the state even. I haven't touched the threshold tone. 

I think the must frustrating thing is that out of the box, my son found a ring and a knife. He is 13yo and didn't mess with any settings or anything. After that, we put it away, and the next week we tried finding stuff around our home (on a golf course so lots of change falls out of pockets around here). And the thing just kept beeping. Took it up to the mountains, same thing. Even back to same property he found ring/knife and same thing. 

We loved the ease right out of the box, and now its just super buggy. For a 13yo trying to get into the hobby, his interest quickly fades if something isn't working... lol

• Like 2

For kicks try turning the sensitivity all the way down and see if and where that may calm the machine down. If turning the sensitivity down effects the chatter then it is an EMI issue with the machine and could mean a bad coil connection or something else.

Note that the machine has more power available than most conditions allow, plenty of power under the hood and can't be run flat out in all places. I run my Multi Kruzer between 70-85 in the disc modes 2 tone, 3 tone, 4 tone so they don't chatter.

Increasing the discrimination a little would stop the small chatter from ground mineralization but ground mineralization wouldn't cause big spikes like you described. Really sounds like a bad coil connection, possible damaged coil wire. Really sounds like it needs to be serviced.

1 hour ago, levdeb said:

Yes, we tried it in different parts of the state even. I haven't touched the threshold tone. 

I think the must frustrating thing is that out of the box, my son found a ring and a knife. He is 13yo and didn't mess with any settings or anything. After that, we put it away, and the next week we tried finding stuff around our home (on a golf course so lots of change falls out of pockets around here). And the thing just kept beeping. Took it up to the mountains, same thing. Even back to same property he found ring/knife and same thing. 

We loved the ease right out of the box, and now its just super buggy. For a 13yo trying to get into the hobby, his interest quickly fades if something isn't working... lol

Yup. That's the way kids are.

Hello. May be one of you got a new cell phone, and may be you got this right from that date the detector isn't working anymore? Just a thought.

Think the service center will help.

• Like 1

Simplex is a great value but I would not recommend it as a first detector for most people.  Calling it “Simplex” is a misnomer IMO, it has a myriad of unique and relatively advanced settings  combined with a crowded user interface that can be daunting to someone just starting out with detecting.  If this flames out your son’s interest in the hobby, that would be bad.  What you are describing sounds like a likely hardware problem, so hopefully warranty repair can resolve the issue.  I would recommend a Vanquish for a good, capable, and relatively inexpensive turn on and go detecting experience, but that would only really make sense if you could still return the Simplex.  OTOH, if the Simplex gets fixed and you and your son can invest the time it takes to learn the detector, some of the more advanced features will be welcomed once you climb the learning curve.  Regarding firmware, advancing to 2.78 vice reverting back might result in quieter and more stable operation.

Nokta Simplex+ Version 2.78 software change summary: 

Updates Made :

IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH THE INCREASED ID DEPTHS OF VERSION 2.76 OR 2.77, YOU DO NOT NEED TO INSTALL THIS UPDATE! 

ID stability and depths have been changed back to the same levels of version 2.68. This will NOT affect the overall depth and sensitivity of the device.

• 1 year later...
On 7/5/2020 at 4:08 PM, levdeb said:

Hello all! New to the forum. Got a Nokta Simplex+ to replace my old Whites detector. First 2 times my son and I took it out, we found good stuff (knife, ring, and a dime). Took it out yesterday, and on any setting, it is just beeping like crazy. And the numbers jump from 10-90. Even when not moving the detector.

Just saw a post about a wonky update, and wondering if we should so something about that. Or is there a way to reset this thing and tune it in?

My old Whites had a ground control knob, but was also from the 1960's... lol

Thanks for any help/advice!

I have only had my Simplex+ just over a week and I get like a steady "white noise" and a buzz all of the time. I do a ground balance, turn down the sensitivity and  change frequencies. Can't get rid of the hum and buzz.

When I swing to the right, it sounds like it hits a target but when I swing back to the left, I hear nothing. It does it in my yard and in open farm fields. I'm tempted to sell the Simplex and go back to my $100.00 Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.

2 hours ago, mrbooker said:

I have only had my Simplex+ just over a week and I get like a steady "white noise" and a buzz all of the time. I do a ground balance, turn down the sensitivity and  change frequencies. Can't get rid of the hum and buzz.

When I swing to the right, it sounds like it hits a target but when I swing back to the left, I hear nothing. It does it in my yard and in open farm fields. I'm tempted to sell the Simplex and go back to my $100.00 Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.

The Simplex is a whole lot of detector for the money and is far from "simple".

You didn't mention what software version and what mode you are using.

For instance, the default setting All Metal Mode has a threshold tone that is continuous (unless you lower its volume level). The threshold tone will react to the ground also if one doesn't do a ground balance especially if your coil sweeps are not level. All Metal Mode instructions are on page 9 and the Threshold feature is on page 13 in case you haven't studied the manual.

Otherwise..........??????

On 5/17/2022 at 1:34 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

The Simplex is a whole lot of detector for the money and is far from "simple".

You didn't mention what software version and what mode you are using.

For instance, the default setting All Metal Mode has a threshold tone that is continuous (unless you lower its volume level). The threshold tone will react to the ground also if one doesn't do a ground balance especially if your coil sweeps are not level. All Metal Mode instructions are on page 9 and the Threshold feature is on page 13 in case you haven't studied the manual.

Otherwise..........??????

I almost always use Field or Park modes. I only use All metal mode when I go to a new place to detect. I'm sure I'll get it figured out after some use of the machine.

Just now, mrbooker said:

I almost always use Field or Park modes. I only use All metal mode when I go to a new place to detect. I'm sure I'll get it figured out after some use of the machine.

OBTW:   I have version 2.78