Two Silver Dimes Today... Found Them Eight Feet Apart

1 minute ago, 2Valen said:

I am 60 miles south of Springfield, Illinois, and I agree with the weather report from you. It reminds me when Robin Williams gave the weather report in the movie Good Morning Vietnam.

That whole thing Robin Williams did in that movie was improv.  The "Good morning Vietnam!" thing.  It all came from his head.  Dude was a genius.

I read a book some time back written by a Green Beret who was a Congressional Medal of Honor winner in Vietnam.  He said that when you get used to 115 degrees with high humidity, 75 degrees feels cold.  75 wouldn't feel cold right now, but it would be nice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CmonNow said:

It's the first time I've found two silvers in the same day, and hopefully not the last.  It was actually two silvers in ten minutes.  Probably best not to dwell on, or try to top that.

Certainly randomness (luck) plays a bigger role than most of us accept.  Although I keep records, I don't set out on a hunt to break records.  My goal (when park or school detecting) is simple -- come back home with one old coin (and here I include any Wheatie as an old coin).  Sometimes I don't meet this modest goal, but I don't get bothered by it.  Two secondary goals -- have fun and learn something.  If I were to not meet those I would be bothered, but that doesn't seem to happen.  Attitude is the key there; luck only rarely can interfere.

I've had the same three twenties in my wallet for months now, and I almost never have even one coin in my pocket.

Similar here.  We've conformed to a cashless society.  Even plastic credit cards are on their way out.  My modern coin finds are modest compared to many, and I still find in the ground a factor of at least 30 or 40 what I get in change at the store, etc.

I skip way too many 12-13-14 signals due to can tabs....

I hear ya.  One of the many tradeoffs of detecting -- how much time do I spend digging trash?  I have pretty strict VTID selection criteria.  Even with that, this year (mostly at one park) I've found 17 keeper nickels (mostly Buffies), 112 non keeper (all Jeffie) nickels, and 713 pulltabs.  If I see even one 15 or higher (but below Zincoln -- different category) flash on the screen I don't dig.

a repurposed plastic spatula handle for last-inch digging to find the target while trying to minimize scratching.  I'm having to be careful with plugs the last few days because they all want to break apart.

I also use plastic tools often, to prevent damaging the target.  Sounds like our recovery principles have a lot in common.  And, yes, the dry part of summer has arrived early this year.  Fortunately I have a placer (glacier) gold creek within driving distance.  All I have to put up with there are mosquitoes and heat.  Digging is not a problem.  😅

Hope you find some more keepers soon to show us.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2020 at 7:35 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Fortunately I have a placer (glacier) gold creek within driving distance.  All I have to put up with there are mosquitoes and heat.  Digging is not a problem.  😅

There are a lot of small, cold-water streams around here.  Some have exposed gravel banks at the bends.  At least one that's located on public land is known to have produced gold.  I picked up some panning equipment over the winter and I've watched enough videos that I know enough to head out and try to find some gold.  From my trout fishing days, I know that if you wade while wearing shorts, the cold water does a good job pulling heat out of your lower legs to mitigate the hot weather somewhat.  If you stay in the water long enough you can even start to feel a little chilly when it's 85 degrees.

Hope you find some more keepers soon to show us.

I went back to the spot where I found the two silvers, covered a bit more of the ground and only found a green 1941 wheatie.  I decided to go try a beach that I know has a long history of use going back to the pioneer days.  Stayed on the dry sand to start with and only found a clad dime, a couple zincolns in pathetic condition, and a broken pair of cheap sunglasses.

I think the river level came up an inch or so from all the sweat rolling off me, and I decided to head back to the Jeep along the edge of the water.  My coil had gotten a bit dusty and needed a rinse anyway.  About three feet into my walk along the water's edge, my now-cleaner coil produced a promising beep and I found my first silver Rosie, a 1952-S about six inches down in the wet sand.  I'll go back to that beach when it's cooler and less populated.  Given its long history I'm sure there's more to be found.

That made three days in a row finding silver last week (I work a four-day week).  In between the two silvers above and the Rosie from the beach, I found a 43-D Merc at another park in a neighboring town where I had found another Merc a few weeks ago.

1943-D Mercury Dime Front.jpg

1952-S RooseveltDimeFront.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/7/2020 at 7:35 AM, GB_Amateur said:

My goal (when park or school detecting) is simple -- come back home with one old coin (and here I include any Wheatie as an old coin).  Sometimes I don't meet this modest goal, but I don't get bothered by it. 

Same here.  One old coin makes a good day detecting into a great day.

A couple weeks ago I found 31 coins in four hours, all within about 40 yards of each other and three of em in a one-foot circle.  There wasn't a gem in the bunch.  It was all clad and pennies, with the oldest being a 1977 penny.

Had fun, and it was by far my most productive day ever in the raw number of coins found (previous record was 14), but just one green wheatie would have made it better.   A 'bad day' detecting is still better than a good day working.

I haven't been out yet this week due to yard work, tree trimming, the gas man replacing a couple regulators on our meters, and a couple honey-do items, and today I'm surrounded by rain of varying intensity.  Radar shows it breaking up now though, so I think I'll head out in an hour or so and be able to stay dry.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CmonNow said:

A 'bad day' detecting is still better than a good day working.

I second that!  But your silver haul lately shows the bad days are temporary streaks, and hopefully the exceptions.

39 minutes ago, CmonNow said:

A couple weeks ago I found 31 coins in four hours, all within about 40 yards of each other and three of em in a one-foot circle.  There wasn't a gem in the bunch.  It was all clad and pennies, with the oldest being a 1977 penny.

Still good practice.  Every target dug, trash or keeper, should add a bit to one's knowledge base.  You mention trout fishing.  I also see a lot of parallels between these two pasttimes.  For me, if I got juicy treasures every time out it would take some of the excitement away.  The bad days and mediorcre days make the good days just that much sweeter.

One more parallel (I'm on a roll 😁) is golf.  Most of the time I played golf it was I vs. I.  Getting a rare (for me) birdie was like digging a silver coin or tiny nugget.  (I wasn't very good at golf, as you might have deduced.)  I had my goals and I measured my performance against the past.  Hitting a good shot was an accomplishment in itself.  My very best shots would be so-so shots on the PGA tour, but those guys aren't my competition.  I'm my competition and I only answer to myself.  Exact same situation in metal detecting.

• Like 2