Two Silver Dimes Today... Found Them Eight Feet Apart

Nice finds, you don't know what it is unless you dig and check your hole, sometimes there is a bonus. Hope you checked the area well, looks like a good spot to spend some time!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Majuba Man said:

Nice finds, you don't know what it is unless you dig and check your hole, sometimes there is a bonus. Hope you checked the area well, looks like a good spot to spend some time!

I had been there a couple hours by the time I found them and my brain was starting to go goofy from the heat, so I gave up before I started raving like a lunatic and shaking the sweat from my head like a wet dog.

Was 91 and humid and I couldn't buy even a light breeze.  I was hunting that particular area because it was shaded by several large trees, but that only helps so much when the air refuses to move.

I found a couple clad and a 1964 nickel about 20 yards from these coins a few weeks ago.  I'll be able to get out earlier tomorrow than I could today.  It will be cooler and I'm going right back to that spot.

• Like 1

Great finds and wish I could get back out there.

Keep up the good work and happy hunting.

What part of the country are you in as it sounds like your close to where I am at, hot humid and no breeze.

8 hours ago, 2Valen said:

Great finds and wish I could get back out there.

Keep up the good work and happy hunting.

What part of the country are you in as it sounds like your close to where I am at, hot humid and no breeze.

Western Wisconsin.  It's been hot and muggy here for a week and it sounds like it's going to last another week at least.  Weather like this makes doing any little thing outside seem like a lot more work.  

It's much easier to dig than when the ground is frozen solid and covered in snow, though.  Gotta take the bad with the good, as mom used to say.

Two silver coins in one day is getting rare these days, unless you can get access to a spot that was frequented by leisure activity and has never been hunted.  Well done!  The condition of the Merc is particularly nice and as far as the Barber goes, still attractive even with the ding.

Good that you're returning to that spot.  Sounds like it was at least semi-popular back when silver was still in circulation, having found the dimes and the Wheatie.  If you haven't been, don't forget to dig 12-13 (and even 14, particularly if it shows 13 as well) since that's where nickels vTID and the wartime nickels (always having a large mintmark over the dome of the Jefferson Memorial) have quite a bit of silver, roughly 3/4 as much as a dime.  There may be Buffies and V-nickels in that ground as well.  Some have found Warnicks with even higher vTID's but I haven't.  And make sure to check the vTID after getting the target pinpointed/located directly above the coil attachment screw.  That's where vTID is most accurate.  If after doing that you see 10's or 15's then, in my experience, it's not a nickel.  12-13 is the sweetspot but also getting some 11's and 14's can still be a nickel.  And if you're digging all non-ferrous, well, at least practice predicting what you've got before you dig.  (Apologies if you know all this, but others will read it and they might not.)

I've put detecting on hold over the last week and probably at least the upcoming one, too.  Besides the heat and humidity, our part of the Midwest hasn't had appreciable rain for over a month and the ground is so dry it's almost impossible to dig a plug and get it to return and stay.  (Just a dried up pelt that wants to come loose with the least little disturbance.)  Some use the screwdriver recovery technique, but there are downsides to that and it tends to keep you close to the surface where it's mostly (but not always) modern coins.  I woudn't discourage anyone from going that direction; it's just not for me.  I'm retired and our winters have been mild (no ground freeze, or if it does it thaws quickly) so I can wait.  But I have relatives I visit in Wisconsin so I know what you have to deal with in the winter....

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Two silver coins in one day is getting rare these days, unless you can get access to a spot that was frequented by leisure activity and has never been hunted.  Well done!  The condition of the Merc is particularly nice and as far as the Barber goes, still attractive even with the ding.

Good that you're returning to that spot.  Sounds like it was at least semi-popular back when silver was still in circulation, having found the dimes and the Wheatie.  If you haven't been, don't forget to dig 12-13 (and even 14, particularly if it shows 13 as well) since that's where nickels vTID and the wartime nickels (always having a large mintmark over the dome of the Jefferson Memorial) have quite a bit of silver, roughly 3/4 as much as a dime.  There may be Buffies and V-nickels in that ground as well.  Some have found Warnicks with even higher vTID's but I haven't.  And make sure to check the vTID after getting the target pinpointed/located directly above the coil attachment screw.  That's where vTID is most accurate.  If after doing that you see 10's or 15's then, in my experience, it's not a nickel.  12-13 is the sweetspot but also getting some 11's and 14's can still be a nickel.  And if you're digging all non-ferrous, well, at least practice predicting what you've got before you dig.  (Apologies if you know all this, but others will read it and they might not.)

I've put detecting on hold over the last week and probably at least the upcoming one, too.  Besides the heat and humidity, our part of the Midwest hasn't had appreciable rain for over a month and the ground is so dry it's almost impossible to dig a plug and get it to return and stay.  (Just a dried up pelt that wants to come loose with the least little disturbance.)  Some use the screwdriver recovery technique, but there are downsides to that and it tends to keep you close to the surface where it's mostly (but not always) modern coins.  I woudn't discourage anyone from going that direction; it's just not for me.  I'm retired and our winters have been mild (no ground freeze, or if it does it thaws quickly) so I can wait.  But I have relatives I visit in Wisconsin so I know what you have to deal with in the winter....

It's the first time I've found two silvers in the same day, and hopefully not the last.  It was actually two silvers in ten minutes.  Probably best not to dwell on, or try to top that.

Like I've said before and I'm sure most of you realize, every coin we pull from the ground is one less that's out there for the next guy, which is both good and bad.  We're digging ourselves out of a hobby.

I used to fill the change jar on my dresser every four months or so, cash it in and get $50-60 out of it.  These days, I hardly carry or spend cash anymore.  I've had the same three twenties in my wallet for months now, and I almost never have even one coin in my pocket.  It will probably take me the rest of my life to build up thirty bucks in that same change jar.  If my ways are anything like your ways, that does not bode well for the hobby of metal detecting, at least not for coin shooting in the conventional, easy-access ways.

We're in the time of year here where it's feast or famine for moisture.  Too dry or too wet depending on the day.  Last Sunday we had a mega-rainstorm go through and wash out some roads north, east, and south of here. We had a four-foot-wide river running in the road ditch in front of our house, which is normally part of the lawn.  Today, eight days later, everything is getting dry again under the baking, terrible, horrible, sun.  Sun should be banned.  And wind should be subsidized, but only when the soil is moist.  🙂

I skip way too many 12-13-14 signals due to can tabs, especially in this weather, and I get a lot of those signals in the places I hunt.  The rare nickel I have dug is because it held a solid 13 with maybe a slight deviation to 12 long enough to convince me to give it a shot.  I carry a Predator Tools Raptor Model 31-C as my main digger, and also a brass probe along with a six-inch bronze-shafted screwdriver and a repurposed plastic spatula handle for last-inch digging to find the target while trying to minimize scratching.  I'm having to be careful with plugs the last few days because they all want to break apart.

13 hours ago, CmonNow said:

Western Wisconsin. 

I am 60 miles south of Springfield, Illinois, and I agree with the weather report from you. It reminds me when Robin Williams gave the weather report in the movie Good Morning Vietnam.