Here are my latest digs in the water at Tahoe. Things were going great until the handle on my old scoop finally gave up the ghost. Can't complain, it served me well, but not like you just run to the store and get another. I'll have to make one.

Anyway, I have to admit at this point I am wondering where my first gold ring with the Impulse is at. Popular beach, tons of people in the water for many years, plenty of targets... no ring. Maybe somebody is running a magic detector here that finds gold rings while leaving all the aluminum tabs and nickels behind? :laugh:

I'm actually very pleased with this mix of trash. Exactly what I expect to be finding, but getting it pretty focused, good ratio of ferrous to non-ferrous. I’m digging tight signals that have a little depth to them. Generally ignoring boomer targets and surface double-blips, though a few surface targets got dug just because they were so easy. It's mostly bottle caps and large ferrous faking me out, but not so much as to bother me. I expect a certain amount. Anyway, I need to get a new handle made up so I can get back in the water tomorrow. Best find - a Buffalo nickel, can't read the date so far. The item in lower left is a corroded zinc penny.

I’m in thick magnetite sands with lots of rock. Hunting tones exclusively, 7uS, sensitivity to max, ATS and reject at preset.

fisher-impulse-good-stuff.jpg
Fisher Impulse - the non-ferrous

fisher-impulse-bad-stuff.jpg
Fisher Impulse - the ferrous

broken-digging-scoop.jpg
Broken scoop handle

• Like 7

That's a lot of square and pull rings, where you in the water? I usually find those along the towel lines but in the water I find more of the steel caps as people like to fling them from the shore.

Snag a piece of aluminum tube, I use McMaster Carr www.mcmaster.com for small quantity stuff and industrial cool stuff. 6130 should be fine for that and you can just drill a hole through a piece of wood to work a small bend like that without damaging the tube without a bender.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This stuff is mostly knee to crotch depth

Go deeper Steve!I know is scary for the actual machine stated weaknesses, but seems to me like you are only meters away from the edge of glory point...

• Like 4

I will later. I’ve got months of hunting ahead of me. Right now I’m using waders and paranoid about getting water in my eyes until I’ve completely healed up from cataract surgery. In a few weeks the water will be warmer and I will switch to my wetsuit and mask and snorkel work. But for now while learning the machine I’m quite content doing what I’m doing.

Some of the best rings I’ve seen were in water shallow enough that moms can splash and play with the little kids.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Some of the best rings I’ve seen were in water shallow enough that moms can splash and play with the little kids.

You are 1,000% correct...Those little one's are always holding mom's hand and pull those rings right off her suntan lotion drenched hands...

• Like 1

Steve... Knowing how deep some targets can be with the AQ, maybe its time to get a stronger scoop with a pointed nose for digging in those rocks. I have had my share of scoops over the years and am now solely using the Stealth 720i. Very pleased with it and feeling good about the lifetime warranty. 

• Like 1

This scoop has a semi-pointed nose and I’ve been digging in rocks for years with it. The scoop is just fine, it’s the handle just finally gave up the ghost. I might get another scoop sometime, but I’ve got no complaints really with the one I have. The Stealth 720i would be high in my list for sure.

steve-herschbach-beach-scoop-collection.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This scoop has a semi-pointed nose and I’ve been digging in rocks for years with it. The scoop is just fine, it’s the handle just finally gave up the ghost. I might get another scoop sometime, but I’ve got no complaints really with the one I have. The Stealth 720i would be high in my list for sure.

steve-herschbach-beach-scoop-collection.jpg

I really like that 3rd scoop in. I too have the stainless lip. I put a lot more holes in it for draining and over the years it has had no effect on scoop strength.  Nothing like a rare earth magnet in the bottom.  I have other customizing too. 

• Like 1

You  are  getting robbed for  sure with all he gold hits you dug with no  gold.My   friend  tried his nox in the  water      for the first time and  got  a nice gold ring early on in a 9  hour hunt.The last 3 times at this lake I could not get   gold but got plenty of pull tabs.  I was walking in   to   finish the day in a spot where we   never find gold and out popped a 4.2 gram wed -lok 14k gold band.The area we hunt is big and we were leaving an    old amusement park torn down pier area before I got the gold.I did     get 8 silver dimes in this good spot,plus a v and  buffalo nickel and about 15       Wheaties. I got a walker and    a other silver  dime  where my  friend got  gold.He got 5 silver dimes at  the     ghost pier spot. You are due  for gold.

• Like 1