This Might Be My Last New White's Metal Detector

A 24k with the same coils makes more sense,  considering balance and weight. But the GMX come with the headphones and this package has the two coils I want the most for use in Australia. So the GMX  won the coin toss.  The GMX simply won because of that 6x4 DD coil, the added durability and waterproof capacity are great, but the lighter 24k has a lot of appeal. Goes to price and coil selection. The Minelab Equinox 800 with the smaller 6 inch coil, water proof, local support etc was a real competitor. The Equinox or its successor may later replace my Explorer Se Pro and Musketeer Advantage. This White's package with two coils and the headphones beat the local competition on local prices.

So the GMX looks as if it will be my last new White's machine. Given the local lockdowns and restrictions in Melbourne Australia, I have not managed to dent my holiday/party budget. So that money instead goes to the GMX purchase.  I'll be brewing my own coffee and baking my own muffins for a while yet, saving in the process... Santa came early this year..

All the best, take care and be kind to yourself and others.

IMG_0709 (2).JPG

whites-gmx-sport-color-flyer-med2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

phrunt, Australia and New Zealand are closing in on that 'travel bubble'. So in the not too distant future there will be opportunities to get on a plane and do some Aussie style detecting. If you drop into Victoria I'll give you a chance to swing a collection of White's machines. In Victoria we are going to be the last state to open up, the boys out West are almost good to go now. The luck of the draw when you are fighting something microscopic and too small to shoot..

Given your enviable  arsenal of machines you are certainly well equipped to do the Oz tour. I know I'm going to go extra hard and hit the goldfields in both the West and East of Victoria as soon as possible. A new machine is just the right excuse to go  hunting when things settle down a bit.

When times are tough and people are feeling the pain it can be the best time to buy stuff. The time was right and  it  was already on my shopping list. Puts the dollars into the economy when its needed. My GMX is a micro dot in the scheme of things, one sold machine for a US seller, work for the couriers and other folk in the supply chain. I've got six weeks of lockdown, time to do research and get ready. A couple months waiting for the new machine works out great in my timeline. Last package from the USA took nearly three months using priority air mail, but I got it..

I'm going to do a write up on the GMX when it arrives. Take it out into the goldfields and put it to work. Ordered covers for both coils and a spare battery holder, it's going to be working for me for many years. That 6x4 DD and flat bottom 6" are my idea of perfection using this machine with the conditions I encounter here in Victoria. First trip will be to Dunolly to 'Christen' the machine in the area around the Welcome Stranger monument. I haven't personally seen a VLF machine used there in years, I know they are out there though.   Let's see if the GMX finds  some of the smaller gold they may have missed.  A new machine, possibly the last of the White's. Something to get excited about and to enjoy the anticipation of its arrival for the next few weeks/months..

All the best. Karelian

• Like 4

I heard from a whites dealer that the whites factory is closing. This dealer is closing down once his inventory is depleted. 

• 4 weeks later...

Took just under 4 weeks to arrive, tested and working fine. Took me all of one minute to decide to put  a proper folding stand on it. I can see the Z LInk wireless system being used on dry land, with the headphone socket up front and plenty of room to fit the transmitter etc.

So far so good, hits those small bits real hard. Weight and balance with batteries installed is very good. Something positive for a change and I'll be very keen to get out and do some prospecting when circumstances allow.. All the best.

IMG_1902.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

• Like 1

The design is good but I don't like it when a detector falls on its side, it was OK as standard but I wanted better than OK.. Now it will be upright regardless of the terrain. Z link  makes good sense on this machine. Flat Concentric is a winner for sure, coil clips a nice addition. All together a nice package with the two coils and headphones. 

IMG_1904.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

Spaghetti is the best description, but it works. I can see myself buying more connectors so that I can do modifications and make this more elegant and funtional. Just one cable from the detector into the transmitter. Another project... All the best.

IMG_1919.JPG

• Like 1

Yep wireless audio is a winner, a few parts and some time with wire cutters and a soldering iron will sort it all out nicely. 

Yes phrunt the only place I could find the GMX was on Ebay, I didn't hesitate. The Global Shipping Program seems pretty quick compared to regular post. All customs and duties organised and paid for, no hidden headaches or costs.

When considering the purchase I remembered a creek in Victoria that was crevice heaven when I was a kid. Same creek almost dries out during summer with a few deep water holes full of trout. The idea of the GMX working that creek meant I had to have it. My exuse anyways..

Everything came in the mail today, the detector, the parts I ordered to go with it as well as a compact fishing rod I will take with me next time I visit that same creek. I ordered  Advanced NuggetShooting with Goldmaster 24K by James A McCulloch,  postman just delivered that today as well.  Nicely autographed by the author. When it rains it pours, probably all on the same cargo aircraft.. from the USA to Australia. All combined for a very welcome distraction. I am feeling very lucky, everything works as it should and arrived in good time. Itching to get out there... full of 'golden dreams'. All the best.

IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

Mystery Creek..jpg

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 3:48 AM, phrunt said:

Good luck with the shipping! No really I mean it, good luck!  International Priority for me so far has been almost 2 months.........

I do envy you on the detector! Always wanted to try a Whites, now I never will.

Simon , I think you can still get them at Metal   detecting . com.An old dealer friend who passed last year  wife     is selling his 20 year plus gold bug 2 that he probably never used  for 250 and a explorer  # 26 serial# with sunray probe for same  price.He put maybe 30 hours on it.

Issue of connecting wireless audio has been made much simpler with a cable that connects the MX Sport / Gmx Sport headphone outlet to micro USB, spotted on Fleabay.. One cable from the machine into the wireless transmitter.  Not made for the Z link but it uses the identical micro usb connection, should be fully compatible. 

No more spaghetti.. back to waiting for the postman.

Quest MX Sport adapter cable...

mx_sports_cable.jpg