This Might Be My Last New White's Metal Detector

11 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

Simon , I think you can still get them at Metal   detecting . com.An old dealer friend who passed last year  wife     is selling his 20 year plus gold bug 2 that he probably never used  for 250 and a explorer  # 26 serial# with sunray probe for same  price.He put maybe 30 hours on it.

Wow where is he selling that explorer?

Where did you get that folding stand?

Nokta Makro detector stand, ebay. Fits 22mm rods/shafts.

Air quality in Melbourne Australia is very good today, fresh and high velocity from Antarctica. Great weather for testing the GMX, but because I want to do a comparison video I'll have to wait. All camera gear and other machines  cannot handle the rain and hail . These are probably my most used coils on the Vlf machines, they are great and if the ground will let me I will keep them on the machine. Super hot on small gold and great until things get  too noisy and I swap out for a small DD. 

Simply comparing all the 6 inch concentrics on the XL Pro, MXT and GMX.  Tdi Pro and Tdi SL thrown into the mix with Tdi Coiltek 6 inch mono. Not interested in getting too complex, simple 1 grain gold ingot, half gram gold coin and half Sovereign test targets.  I know the GMX hits harder on the smaller gold but there will be a point where things equal out.  Air test for entertainment value only.. just need the weather to co-operate..The GMX almost demands a comparison, a variety of operating frequencies etc  A bit of fun.IMG_1947.thumb.JPG.6415c6e9f0713939b42918ea45ebacb0.JPG

IMG_1929.JPG

IMG_1931.JPG

coils4.jpg

• Like 1

Just a quick air test on the machines, didn't record any video due to the weather. Later when things settle down I'll shoot a video but for now some preliminary air tests. All machines on max gain except Tdi Pro at 5.. Sunray Gold Pro headphones used on all machines, windy and neighbours kid practicing drums.. Tdi Pro standard machine with normal battery, Tdi Sl running 14.4 volts. XL Pro, MXT and GMX running alkaline battery packs, tested at 12.5 volts. Windy, noisy, lots of EMI. 2.5 cm equals an inch.

Tdi Pro  1 grain 11cm,  half gram gold coin 25cm, half Sovereign 35cm 

Tdi Sl    1 grain 7cm, half gram gold coin 19cm, half Sovereign 27cm

Xl Pro 1 grain 11cm, half gram gold coin 21cm, half Sovereign 32cm

MXT   1 grain 15cm, half gram gold coin 29cm, half Sovereign 34cm

GMX 1 grain 17cm, half gram gold coin 25cm, half Sovereign 32cm

You do not have to go far over half a gram for the MXT to equal or beat the GMX. But the GMX  hits harder and more consistently on the smaller bits of gold I have. A small crystaline specimen was loud and clear out to 15cm whilst the Tdi Sl struggles at 4 cm on the same bit. When you get to the smaller specs the GMX hits louder, clearer and more consistently. The GMX is best used with good headphones, the speaker suffers when there is any background noise. Much more so than the other machines that seem a bit louder. These are good VLF machines and they beat the Tdi Sl in the air and in milder ground. I know the XL Pro beats the MXT on copper and silver coins, but the MXT loves gold coins, rings etc Unrealistic results when you take the ground out of the equation, not an 'out in the field' experience. Looking forward to giving the GMX a good run on the goldfields as soon as that becomes possible. Working on a new prospecting magnet to find small iron etc. , with the GMX I'm going to need it. The GMX is not difficult to use, control interface is simple. If you can use modern tech  like computers and phones then it is intuitive. There are enough options to allow you to run it to its potential. Too early to make any real judgments since it takes time to fully understand a new machine. But for small gold it seems to perform very well. Now I just need to get out there and put it to work.

Video when weather allows.  All the best.

• Like 4