This Might Be My Last New White's Metal Detector

Yes havingstl the idea was to use 6 inch concentric or mono coils, all the same size as far as possible. The GMX and Tdi coils are flat profile and the older Eclipse 5.3 and Black MaX 5.3 are fat or chunky with dead air. Watched the White's video with different machines but also different coils, didn't want to make the same mistake... Loving the Gmx flat profile concentric, a real must have.

All the best.

coils4.thumb.jpg.7d9f70a4da4560702782c4dd12c88941.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since I had already purchased the Quest MX Sport adapter cable I decided to get the headphones to match. Just the one cable from the detector to the transmitter.  Original idea was to cut and splice to fit the Garrett Z link. Problem was I like the Quest Pro Wireless, just a bit more comfortable. Audio is good with no lag, a quality product. So the GMX wireless headphone challenge has been met. With both the Quest and Z link systems I have the wireless headphone option with all my machines. I'll use the Quest Pro and my loaner machine will use the Garrett. Inexperienced guest users tend to get easily frustrated by the wired headphones and the wireless system is so much more user friendly. Doc's Detecting arm cuff makes for a more comfortable swinging action. Again the machine is not heavy and balances well. There is a neoprene cuff under the Doc's cuff for a better fit, everything is tight and comfortable.

For water use the GMX will use the Whites waterproof headphones.

Again the old rule is that if you personalize your gear it just feels like it works better.. a set of covers to protect the screen will be the final add on.

All the best, Karelian

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1956 (2).JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

I do not see myself using the White's stock headphones with the GMX out of the water. Waterproof headphones for rare water work only. I'll use the Sunray Pro Gold when wired up with the adapter cable, or the wireless system. The supplied headphones are OK, but most quality aftermarket options blow them 'out of the water'..

A set of Grey Ghost Amphibian headphones would be my ideal match for the GMX. Very tempted..

23 minutes ago, karelian said:

I do not see myself using the White's stock headphones with the GMX out of the water. Waterproof headphones for rare water work only. I'll use the Sunray Pro Gold when wired up with the adapter cable, or the wireless system. The supplied headphones are OK, but most quality aftermarket options blow them 'out of the water'..

That's too bad. I was excited the headphones came with the detector and it wasn't something else I would need to buy.

A long answer to a short question. The supplied White's headphones are decent, they will do the job. If you are out of the water then use the adapter cable if you already have 'high end' headphones. If not the White's are ok. Because I have a 'collection' of machines I have also quite a few headphones. I've been detecting since the early 80's, only in the last few years did I purchase the Sunray Pro Gold headphones. So in comparison to  Sunray the White's are just Ok, but compared to what I was using years ago, they are very good..  Any headphone set will be much better than the inbuilt speaker.  At the end of the day the key is to get the coil over the target. Normally I wait for things to wear out before looking to upgrade, that has been the way with home appliances  and metal detector headphones. With White's going out of business I need to look to the future when my GMX is still going strong, but the factory headphones are looking worse for wear. Hence the focus on the Grey Ghost Amphibians, get them while you can... Can always modify gear to fit later on as well using the White's set for parts..

Because none of my current machines have inbuilt wireless audio, the addition of Z link and the Quest wireless system allowed me to enjoy the benefits of modern convenience  while continuing on with my older machines.  My GMX will see use as a 'backpacking' detector, going into remote areas where the factory waterproof headphones make good sense, as do the Grey Ghosts.  Neither the Quest or Z link are robust enough to perform such duties. Both the Quest and Z link systems are compatible with all my Tdi machines, XL Pro, MXT etc. No audio issues or problems so far, wireless headphones are great. Simply plug into any USB port to recharge at the end of the day, at home or in the car. Even use a portable power bank which works perfectly. With a waterproof detector wireless will not always be the first choice.

Finally every time I buy a machine I allow a bit extra for bits and pieces so that I can 'adapt' the detector to better fit my needs.  Neoprene covers from the UK to protect the screen, Doc's arm cuff cover, folding detector stand.. None of these things are necessary, the motivation is 'want' not 'need'. In my experience the machine works better after the personal touch..  So that is partly true for the Grey Ghost Amphibians.. with a noticeable performance increase over the factory headphones. Quality has a price attached.

The package deal from Whites with the adapter cable, headphones and the two coils was great. No 'need' to go and spend more money. If you want better audio with a small gain in performance, then in my experience it requires an additional investment more often than not.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

First thing that stands out with the GMX is that the inbuilt speaker is not as loud as I would like, being waterproof that is no mystery. This type of machine would rarely use the inbuilt speaker as most users would be using headphones. An amplified external speaker like a Nokia MD-11 on hot days and out in the bush, but headphones would be the norm.

The supplied Whites headphones are decent, but no volume control.. decent but not great.

The arrival of a pair of Grey Ghost Amphibian headphones for the GMX illustrates the importance of high quality audio. Simply fantastic quality, performance is great. The volume control is most welcome, at max the headphones are 'loud'.

Tested with targets there is a performance gain, yes it is marginal but it is real. Add extra comfort, superior performance that really cuts out external noise. Well worth the investment and highly recommended. When considered against the cost of fuel and accommodation plus other expenses when out prospecting this has been a good investment. An investment in performance and quality. Peace of mind knowing my 'setup' will be performing at its peak. The Grey Ghost headphones are simply superb. 

All the best.

IMG_1959.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The final personal touch arrived in the mail from the UK. Cordura covers, instead of neoprene. I wanted durability and scratch resistance. I'll do a few modifications on the covers to make for a better fit and add the other personal touchs as well.

Basic setup for 90% of the time,  the only variation being either external speaker or headphone. Again headphones being the norm. The screen has the original packaging protector and now the Protector covers as well, so no scratches for a while at least.

IMG_2043.JPG

IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2048 (2).JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, karelian said:

The screen has the original packaging protector....

Have you tried computer screen anti-glare protectors such as this?  It's better (IMO) than the screen protectors included with the Minelab Equinox, for example, as it reflects less when in bright sunlight.

I definitely like the quality of that UK made pod cover -- way better than the cheap-looking ones I've seen.