My Hope For The Impulse AQ - Perfect Coil Sizes

26 minutes ago, Compass said:

Joe, I thought that the main reason you liked the AQ was for its depth. Wouldn't you lose some of that depth with a smaller coil? 

I just re-read some previous responses and my guess is that one may have to trade off a little depth for less noise and better coil control. 

Smaller coils are easier to swing in water and in rocky grounds.

It also better picks up the small targets and is easier to pinpoint.
However, the detection depth is indeed reduced. Again, you can not have your cake and eat it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Willy said:

Smaller coils are easier to swing in water and in rocky grounds.

It also better picks up the small targets and is easier to pinpoint.
However, the detection depth is indeed reduced. Again, you can not have your cake and eat it.

Thank you Willy, I have found all this to be true and that is why I really like using the 6" coil on my Equinox when I lake hunt. However, from everything I've been hearing about the AQ, one of its most attractive features is its extreme depth. Really curious to see how much depth would be lost with an 8" coil and how much smaller targets could be found with it..

"This will possibly be offered as an option to the LTD version as well."

If different coil size options are eventually offered on the Limited AQ it may be a difficult decision for some of us. Most of my beach hunting is done in the wet sand and a few inches of water when the surf comes in. My first thought would be to go with the 12.5" coil for the maximum depth but an 8" coil with that short pulse delay could be a dynamic combination for the small gold.

4 minutes ago, Compass said:

"This will possibly be offered as an option to the LTD version as well."

If different coil size options are eventually offered on the Limited AQ it may be a difficult decision for some of us. Most of my beach hunting is done in the wet sand and a few inches of water when the surf comes in. My first thought would be to go with the 12.5" coil for the maximum depth but an 8" coil with that short pulse delay could be a dynamic combination for the small gold.

Indeed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Willy said:

That does not depend on Alexandre, El Paso decides what and when to deliver to Rick.

I was going to ask him to make me a custom one for I know he has made a few in the past. But since Fisher is moving forwards with it I will hold on that message. 

3 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I was going to ask him to make me a custom one for I know he has made a few in the past. But since Fisher is moving forwards with it I will hold on that message. 

Indeed, he did that before but now, he has no time left out from his R&D work on the GOLD version and on the support of the production start-up of the AQ.

1 hour ago, Compass said:

Joe, I thought that the main reason you liked the AQ was for its depth. Wouldn't you lose some of that depth with a smaller coil? 

I just re-read some previous responses and my guess is that one may have to trade off a little depth for less noise and better coil control. 

Yes.......... I would be giving up some, my guess is about 4 inch's but the amount of noise from a small coil would be so much less in the rough salt water it will make a huge difference. So you figure I get 19/20 on a nickel...it would go to 14/15..but then again we are in un-charter territory........... could be better.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Yes.......... I would be giving up some, my guess is about 4 inch's but the amount of noise from a small coil would be so much less in the rough salt water it will make a huge difference. So you figure I get 19/20 on a nickel...it would go to 14/15..but then again we are in un-charter territory could be better.

In the VLF world, it is generally admitted that the maximum detection depth is directly proportional to the coil diameter. It is evaluated at a depth about equivalent to the diameter for a concentric coil.

In the PI world, the equation is probably different but still directly proportional for the same target size, shape and material.

The detection range is a cone sticking out  under the coil.

A large coil generates a longer (thus, deeper) cone but its tip  is also larger making the pinpointing more difficult.

A smaller coil is better adapted for highly ferrous-polluted ground because its more precise detection cone

Real experiments in real ground and sea water will tell.

• Like 4

Well, here is a real world scenario. I have a area that obviously has old stuff, but lots of junk that is probably hiding some good stuff. I'd like to just go in and dig everything. I'm thinking a small coil would be best on the first go for easier pinpointing and recovery. Then when the area goes quiet, come back with the big coil and go for the deep stuff.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Yes.......... I would be giving up some, my guess is about 4 inch's but the amount of noise from a small coil would be so much less in the rough salt water it will make a huge difference. So you figure I get 19/20 on a nickel...it would go to 14/15..but then again we are in un-charter territory........... could be better.

1 hour ago, Willy said:

Real experiments in real ground and sea water will tell.

Do I hear 9 1/2.........9 1/2, 9 1/2, going going........GONE!!!!   [8" is a little small] 

• Like 1