My Hope For The Impulse AQ - Perfect Coil Sizes

2 hours ago, Willy said:

Real experiments in real ground and sea water will tell.

So many different scenarios. Looking forward to trying them out! Thanks for the updates.

From my earlier experience running the Garrett Sea Hunter, the reduction in depth from the larger coil (14x9) to the smaller 8” coil wasn’t nearly as bad I thought it would be. I believe it was in the order of maybe a couple of inches on average coin/ring sized targets.......that little 8” coil in rough saltwater was sensational and my gold tally increased significantly......it never came off again. I used to run a modified Aquapulse AQ1B and I recall similar results from the big 15” coil and then moving to the 10” coil. Leave the big coils for the hardpan and lower beach low tides 👍

I plan to fit out my TDIBH with a 10” coil.....as big as I’ll go for water work !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

From my earlier experience running the Garrett Sea Hunter, the reduction in depth from the larger coil (14x9) to the smaller 8” coil wasn’t nearly as bad I thought it would be. I believe it was in the order of maybe a couple of inches on average coin/ring sized targets.......that little 8” coil in rough saltwater was sensational and my gold tally increased significantly......it never came off again. I used to run a modified Aquapulse AQ1B and I recall similar results from the big 15” coil and then moving to the 10” coil. Leave the big coils for the hardpan and lower beach low tides 👍

I plan to fit out my TDIBH with a 10” coil.....as big as I’ll go for water work !

Tony I'm so desperate for a small coil I'm ready to take the little 8 inch off of the barracuda and try it on the "AQ"..😬

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Compass said:

Wouldn't you lose some of that depth with a smaller coil? 

Underwater there's the opposite rule...Bigger coils means more noise and effort paying a lower effective gain too ....

Smaller coils means less noise and effort and more effective gain to max out..Similar performance of a big coil out of water....Where a small one is almost useless...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Tony I'm so desperate for a small coil I'm ready to take the little 8 inch off of the barracuda and try it on the "AQ"..😬

Will that be hard to do.........in-line connector I’m guessing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I'm ready to take the little 8 inch off of the barracuda and try it on the "AQ"

Let me dream of a connector mod tutorial Joe!🤩

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Joe... from what I’ve seen of your modification skills, I’ll bet you could take the wheel off a bicycle and make a coil out of that!!!😃

• Like 2

11 hours ago, midalake said:

Do I hear 9 1/2.........9 1/2, 9 1/2, going going........GONE!!!!   [8" is a little small] 

The ideal coil would be made of a flexible material like rubber (or chewing-gum!!) so that the user could change its diameter at will to make it perfect for all environment cases. In this case, you could have your own perfect coil, 12.5",12",11.5",11",.... down to 2"!!!

Sadly, this is not (yet) possible with the current technologies😢😢

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

It would probably more or less work BUT you will loose quite a few inches and possibly loose a few µsec of pulse delay.

The design of the Impulse coil has been specially studied to cope with small pulse delays and EMI protection and still kept light.

Its production in series was carefully setup in order to generate constant specs in values of R,  L and C. with thorough measurement  at various phases of the production line. The measurement data is recorded for statistical reports.

This is unusual in the coil production of the detector industry.

• Like 5

I will take any coil between 7-9".  I would ask for a 6" but I don't think that would happen, so I'm shooting for 7-9". Anything larger and I might as well stick with the stock coil. Hopefully a small coil would be great in heavy iron, wet sand conditions.  Mute mode I would assume.

• Like 1