Going To Alaska With My 800 & 600

I am headed to Alaska next month with both of my equinox detectors. I am flying into Fairbanks and want to do some detecting and panning. The last time there we did some panning and believe it or not we panned . 26 ounces of gold. Not in one day of course but in several creeks North of Denali. 

This time we plan on panning, detecting and fishing. I am also driving the Dalton Highway to the end of the road if possible. A bucket list Item.

I have driven coast to coast to the farthest point in NE Maine to the coast of CA and I been to the end of the road in Key West. Now I want to drive to the farthest point north in Alaska. 

Are there any good gold panning spots along the Dalton highway  or any suggestions where to pan or metal detect in  the Fairbanks area

• Like 5

Awesome, have a great trip. It’s a long drive from the Brooks Range to Prudhoe... way longer than it looks on a map. Drove it many times myself. Lots of pretty swamp (oops, wetlands) to look at. Be careful getting out of your car - the mosquitos may carry you off! :laugh:

Dalton panning info and more here...
https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/gold-prospecting/public-mining-sites-parks-tours-museums/#Alaska

• Like 2

Thanks for the info Steve

I know it's about a 12 hr drive but do to extended daylight that time of year I will have plenty of time to rest etc along the way. I will even have some camping gear and extra gas. I have rented a 4x4 crew cab pickup.

I have been as far as Wiseman in the past. I have also experienced the mosquitos as well. 

I kinda figured we'd hit flat land with a lot of marsh area or wetlands judging by the google maps. We do have hats with mosquito netting. I learned that my last trip. No amount of repellent seems to work. My grandson finishes summer school in college in a cpl of weeks then he will have the required credits for his engineering degree so this is a graduation present. Made for a good excuse to go back to Alaska with him. 

7 hours ago, Norm S said:

We do have hats with mosquito netting. I learned that my last trip. No amount of repellent seems to work. My grandson finishes summer school in college in a cpl of weeks then he will have the required credits for his engineering degree so this is a graduation present.

So let me get this straight, you are using your grandson as bait for the mosquito's, while you go panning and metal detecting?

Beautiful country up there and that is a great idea you have for the bait to keep them off of yourself.

Have fun and good luck!

• Like 1

Yeah he is only 21 and prime bait. He lives in S IL just north of Alton and not many mosquitos there. We been there before and this time we are going to do some gold panning, fishing and metal detecting. 

1 hour ago, Norm S said:

He lives in S IL just north of Alton and not many mosquitos there.

I am just 45 minutes from Alton, and believe me there are plenty of mosquito's here. I am out in the country only a mile from a lake with creeks all around me.

You are in an area on the gulf next to Biloxi I believe, and you have a few down there.

The last time I was in Alaska there was nothing to keep them critters off a person, and all you could do is use netting. Half of the time they would just cut through it and laugh in your face.

Good luck and keep an anchor on you in case they try to carry you off.

If you have time try your luck at Muldrow Glacier, it is in the Denali National Park.

Many years ago I was able to find a few ounces there over about 5 days before I had to go somewhere else.

Once again good luck.

• Like 1

My grandson actually lives on 47 acres outside of Brighton and they have a small lake on it but not really bothered much by mosquitoes. I lived in Edwardsville for over 20 yrs

. Is Muldrow Glacier accessible by truck