My Best Week This Year

17 hours ago, Compass said:

Thanks Bill, I imagine so but it's been years since I've hunted around Zuma. I recently retired so it's nice to be able to go to the beach now whenever things look promising. That is a good question about my choice of detectors and I hope I have a good answer.

- My Beach Hunter is the best detector of the 3 for the black magnetic sand that I encounter on my beaches. It's not super thick most places but enough that it affects the Nox and Excal more.

- I believe that it is the deepest of the 3, especially, on the low conductor metals. The Excal is pretty deep in "all metal" mode but the target footprints seem small to me and the audio subdued whereas the Beach Hunter seems to belt out a tone on even small targets. I don't feel like I miss as much with the TDI BH. Now I do used a modified lithium ion battery pack that runs at about 15 volts but I would still feel the same way operating at the lower voltage. I use the Nox in fresh water where I can use the "gold" mode. It seems to operate more like a pulse with discrimination in that mode. Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of the "beach mode" on the Nox and with my hearing impairment I feel like I'm missing a lot. It might just be me but it seems like I have to concentrate so much more when I'm using the Nox in "beach mode" and I don't get close to the depth I need with my stock 11" coil. I could just need more practice with it though.

-  I used a Pro PI, then a Dual Field for several years with pretty good success. I think that the Beach Hunter is like the Dual Field but with a  stronger audio response, silky smooth threshold and greater affinity for low conductors. The 14 K bracelet I found yesterday really sounded good on the TDI BH but I tested it on the Dual Field and it had trouble "seeing" it. I think of the Beach Hunter as a Dual Field on steroids.

GL&HH!

Interesting.  I found that my Equinox 800 matched my TDI Beach Hunter for depth, or at least close enough that I prefer using it and not digging the junk targets at depth.  I will admit that I am not a PI pro, however, and may need more time on it to really appreciate its abilities.  I do want do some water hunting this summer and may use the TDI more because I am a little bit afraid of dunking my Equinox and having it flood.

51 minutes ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Interesting.  I found that my Equinox 800 matched my TDI Beach Hunter for depth, or at least close enough that I prefer using it and not digging the junk targets at depth.  I will admit that I am not a PI pro, however, and may need more time on it to really appreciate its abilities.  I do want do some water hunting this summer and may use the TDI more because I am a little bit afraid of dunking my Equinox and having it flood.

Yes, that is interesting. Are you using the stock 11" coil? FWIW, I have had the Nox submerged in fresh water many times without any issues.

That is a great looking bracelet.  I wasn't able to hunt as long as you did but I used the 800/11 and it hits pretty deep in the damp sand.  I tried some long walks with Beach2 in the low tide areas and it produced very little.  It makes me wonder what a PI would do.

One night I was out and there were a couple of PI guys and they were getting targets but very far between.  That is the staging area so when the sand gets moving they are released and then thrown up the hill with the crusty quarters.

I agree on the best week this year.  I found a ring every day except today.  I'll post the hunts up after I get the pictures.

Mitchel

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mn90403 said:

That is a great looking bracelet.  I wasn't able to hunt as long as you did but I used the 800/11 and it hits pretty deep in the damp sand.  I tried some long walks with Beach2 in the low tide areas and it produced very little.  It makes me wonder what a PI would do.

One night I was out and there were a couple of PI guys and they were getting targets but very far between.  That is the staging area so when the sand gets moving they are released and then thrown up the hill with the crusty quarters.

I agree on the best week this year.  I found a ring every day except today.  I'll post the hunts up after I get the pictures.

Mitchel

Thanks Mitchel, I've been checking some other videos and reports and it looks like some beaches got ripped apart while others pretty much stayed sanded in. I thought my beach was pretty good until I saw guys reporting tons of lead, old gold, blackened silver and silver coins from beaches stripped down near the clay. I am very happy with my hunts but it sure is fun to hunt an area packed with old targets. Looking forward to your reports!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Seeker said:

That’s a very nice bracelet. Great haul of keepers.

Thanks Seeker, Glad to see that you got in on the fun as well!