Anyone Using The Nemo Blu3 Portable Dive System?

AlbyM

Hi all,

I just bit the bullet and purchased a Nemo Blu3 portable dive system as another tool in my metal detecting arsenal. For those who don't know about the Nemo, here are a couple of videos that show what it can do:

I'd love to compare notes with those here who are using a Nemo Blu3 with their Nox underwater. I haven't used it yet myself as I had to put it in my shipment to Vietnam, where I will be starting a new job in a couple of months. So I'm just doing a lot of research at this point.

The only problem I am hearing so far is that the Nox can be difficult to hear underwater over the Nemo Blu3 regulator whether you use the Minelab "yellow" underwater headphones or don't use headphones at all. For anyone using the Nemo with their Nox (or diving at all), have you been able to find an alternative underwater headphone with better sound or another workaround? Thanks in advance!

• Like 3

Never heard of them and I doubt many people here have, but I think you just sold one! :smile: I have a new set of Tony Eisenhower headphones I have yet to get wet, and one of these is just what I need to make that happen. I’m a certified SCUBA instructor with lots of ratings, but ditched all my gear years ago as being just too much stuff, not to mention the hassle of getting tanks filled. I had a Keene 12V system similar to this for a short while, but it used a car battery for power, and that alone weighed more than this entire rig. Again, too much gear to carry very far.

This thing... I’m sold. Thanks for the post. 👍🏼 Perfect timing for me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve,

Yes, your reasons for purchasing one pretty much match mine. Really psyched about this new tool. Could be a game-changer in getting further out than the waders and picking up the goodies they can't get to. I'll look into those Tony Eisenhower's Headphones.... thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

Yup, people drown in their bathtubs also. Nobody is getting out of here alive.

Interesting fun fact, this started as a Kickstarter project last December. Being so new I'd say it is basically an unproven, buy at your own risk sort of thing. Who knows if they will be around a year from now.

• Like 3

He's using this Nemo since a couple months if I'm correct...If is durable like a 15liters cylinder should be fine for me and I'll be more than happy to carry it in a backpack...My back is almost done thanks to the damn Bi-bo I sold

• Like 3

Yes, I agree that getting SCUBA certified really should be mandatory to start working with a Nemo (which I am). A lot of the online "training course" that the Blu3 Nemo training provides is a lot of the essential safety information you'll learn while getting SCUBA certified anyway. I don't mind being tethered as long as I don't have to rent all that SCUBA equipment and refilling tanks (which I admit I'm too lazy to do). 

Just a slight clarification that the Blu3 Nemo was a Kickstarter in December of 2018 (not December of 2019). So although still pretty new, there are some people who were able to "give it a spin" over the last 1+ years and the reviews are relatively positive. I have friends that are currently using it with their Equinoxes and Excals and the only problem is the volume of the underwater headphones over the noise of the Nemo regulator.

• Like 2

I'm fascinated by these units and recently in the russian area seems to be in a large expansion between detectorists community.

I understand now why...Most of compressor's suppliers are from China and for them is pretty easy and cheap to buy stuff and apply a bit of Diy art...

I suffered a severe disc protrusion being insanely negative buoyant weighted for three years, walking already dressed far from car along the beach to enter the water with harness, scuba tanks, weight belt,scooter and detector...With a damn drysuit.

Marine's daily training is a joke for comparison...In fact I destroyed my back with insane pain and months to go back again safely underwater.

I sold good part of my heavier scuba equipment but still have the scooter, a broken dredge to be reanimated (in case of fever at maximum level)long hose from a "snuba" experiment I tried, sacrificial bcd to be used as a floater and now....I'm trying to capture this unit...No need of a hose and regulator for me, so the unit alone can cost a LOT less...

1923504845-2110551833.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlbyM said:

Just a slight clarification that the Blu3 Nemo was a Kickstarter in December of 2018 (not December of 2019). So although still pretty new, there are some people who were able to "give it a spin" over the last 1+ years and the reviews are relatively positive. I have friends that are currently using it with their Equinoxes and Excals and the only problem is the volume of the underwater headphones over the noise of the Nemo regulator.

Oops, my mistake, I looked at the “last update” date in the Kickstarter page. Not that I was honestly worried about it. I want one anyway. The whole thing weighs less than a bare scuba tank. For my desired use at Lake Tahoe, where I would need to possibly pack some distance at times down some steep hills, this looks perfect. And frankly for anyone that keeps their wits about them diving at less than 10 feet is no big deal. The air quits, you are less than two body lengths to the surface.

I have done a lot of detecting at 6-7 feet, literally on tip toes with my snorkel barely out of the water and with enough weight to be negative in the water. Get a target, tuck and dive to bottom, and fan while holding breath. I can normally get the target in one or two dives, and it is a great way to build lung capacity! Anyway, there are places at Tahoe where people dive off rocks, and a little extra depth and ability to stay down longer could do some magic. I’ll probably order one of these today with a couple spare batteries.

• Like 4