Wanted- Beach Rake

Hello, I am looking for a beach rake like the one in this video but will consider other designs. Thanks!

Added by Steve H, previous threads:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/2544-coolest-rake-ever/

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/11582-raking-for-gold-on-the-beach-and-in-the-water/

12 hours ago, Compass said:

Hello, I am looking for a beach rake like the one in this video but will consider other designs. Thanks!

Go to emachineshop.com, download their free CAD design program and design your own.  Then upload it to them and they will ship your lasercut product back to you.  I built my own truck roof rack and the lasercut parts were about $45 each, but you’ll only need one and can bolt it onto the head of a basic rake. Its easy!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Go to emachineshop.com, download their free CAD design program and design your own.  Then upload it to them and they will ship your lasercut product back to you.  I built my own truck roof rack and the lasercut parts were about $45 each, but you’ll only need one and can bolt it onto the head of a basic rake. Its easy!

Wow GotAu...that is an option that I didn't know I had. I will definitely have a look. Thanks!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Compass said:

Wow GotAu...that is an option that I didn't know I had. I will definitely have a look. Thanks!

Draw out your logo and name into the design too and make it personalized.  Here’s what I did for my truck, it will be easy for you to draw out those lightning bolt patterns for the rake because you won’t have to use precise measurements- I had to make mine fit predrilled hole patterns for a mountable awning and other hardware on these 34” long rack sides. I decided to use a famous hero for my logo:A8190211-26A0-4869-86C1-09793B3C967B.thumb.jpeg.d97dc3108b843d1af435a2e54606363a.jpeg

• Like 1

You know what though, the rake they show has many cut parts.  I would recommend making a base plate across the face of the rake, and put smaller teeth made of stiff wire sticking through them.  It will be expensive to cut out multiple parts  unless you design them in such a way that you can separate them... the expense for emachineshop.com is really the setup fee.

1 hour ago, GotAU? said:

You know what though, the rake they show has many cut parts.  I would recommend making a base plate across the face of the rake, and put smaller teeth made of stiff wire sticking through them.  It will be expensive to cut out multiple parts  unless you design them in such a way that you can separate them... the expense for emachineshop.com is really the setup fee.

Thanks again GotAU, In looking at the video I don't see the value in the barbs since the rake would only be going in one direction. I believe I can simplify the design to minimize the cutting. I've already downloaded the software and watching the tutorials- pretty amazing possibilities with this stuff and I really appreciate the info about it. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 10:49 PM, Compass said:

Thanks again GotAU, In looking at the video I don't see the value in the barbs since the rake would only be going in one direction. I believe I can simplify the design to minimize the cutting. I've already downloaded the software and watching the tutorials- pretty amazing possibilities with this stuff and I really appreciate the info about it. 

Not to preempt the one that Terry is offering to sell above, but I just realized you could design a single piece flat head for the rake with a lot of tines on it and then carefully bend each tine 90° to work as a beach rake. Make a straight longer section on the upper part of the tines for the bend.

Don’t cold bend aluminum like you can with iron, you have to heat the bend spot up over 400° Before doing it. A torch can do it, but I use one of those Harbor freight $30 heat guns whenever I’m doing it. Those guns can bring it up to melting point, so be careful. This video has a good way of doing it, using a piece of wood as a temperature check .

Just a thought.....

On 7/8/2020 at 10:49 PM, Compass said:

2 hours ago, TerryinHawaii said:

Hi,

I have one for sale.  $100.00 which includes shipping.  I came down with bad vertigo by the time I received it from a foreign country.

Thanks Terry, PM sent.

Thanks again Got AU, Interesting video as I bent some aluminum when I built a teardrop trailer years ago. I burned off candle soot to let me know that the temp was right before shaping with a rubber mallet. I'm not sure if you are suggesting aluminum for the rake tines but they may have to be thick to be strong enough and therefore would cause more drag.