Specific Tumbler Models Advice

putting this here, because not sure where it fits best....

I have a huge bag of lousy shape coins I want to clean up...or rather have my kids clean up.  I want to get some sort of tumbler that is sturdy and won't wear out with a lot of use.  Anyone have specific models/brands they like, or models to stay away from?

Thanks.

I use one of these for various tumbling including clad. It handles 18lbs at a time (including media). Walnut shell seems to work good on clad. I used the fine and ran it for 4-6 hours. You can pay a lot of $$$ on a tumbler and they all basically jiggle the contents around.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-vibratory-bowl-with-liquid-drain-hose-96923.html

• Like 1

Lortone tumblers are more expensive than others but these are the tumblers used by rockhounds that need to tumble rocks 24/7 for weeks at a time. I have two Lortones that I've been using to tumble coins for over 30 years and still going strong. For coins, It usually only takes a couple of hours. Lortone has many different size models and I prefer the model 33B with two 3 lb barrels. Lortone cost more but I feel they are worth it. 

• Like 1

^^ What he said ^^

• Like 1

Another vote for Lortone.

There are several models. A tumbler works best when half to three quarters full so pick the size to fit the quantity you will most often process. The 3 lb is probably the most popular size. You can use fillers when short. Cleaning Coins With A Rock Tumbler

image.jpeg

Rock Tumbling Guide

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...