Effective Insect Repellants

Rashes in water may not even be from bugs. If there is high concentrations of fertilizers in the area and you see algae booms then it could be hydrogen sulfide often seen as bubbles as you walk through the muck. Good indicator of high levels of hydrogen sulfide is when you pull up any lead sinkers that are black, silver turns black from it as it is highly corrosive.

My Niece recently had rashes all over her arms, back and legs from a local swimhole. The rash didn't last too long, just a few days but wasn't very nice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide

I use waders. I like that thick barrier between me and the borderline urinal I find coins in.

For Permethrin I just use the ordinary spray found near camping and outdoor supplies from Repel or Coleman and think their content is around 0.5%. So far I just spray my shoes and hat and use ordinary deet based on cuffs of pants and arms if needed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I've found some 36.8% concentration on Ebay. 

I purchased mine at Rural King, and it works well without adding any Deet. Just make sure you stay in the percentages I mentioned and you will be O.K.

All this bug repellent talks reminds me when I told my cousin that Avon Skin So Soft is the best thing for bugs as a joke. He loaded up on it before a softball game and smelled all flowery at the bar after. Got a whole lotta dirty looks.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I hate chiggers like crazy and we have them here in TN very bad.

There is a product I use called chigg away. It comes in a little green bottle and you can get it online. 

It is sulfer based. Kind of a cream paste style product. I smear that all over my ankles and also rub some on the outside bottom of my pants legs. Also some on my socks after I have applied it to my ankles. 

I have yet to have any after applying it to my lower leg area. 

Good luck.