How Would You Like To Have To Find A Ring Twice?

Yesterday I went out on a hunt.  It was at my 'bit beach' which produced the gold cluster ring on Sunday.  I skipped this beach on Tuesday because I went down to a beach about one hour south but that is another story.

Yesterday the finds were 'thin' as the wave action had taken some of the targets back down the slope and I had also found many of them.  As I was detecting I started to think about these waves and the slope and the thought came to me that I was getting good targets on this slope because the targets had been moved by wave energy.  The targets had been moved by gravity and tides to the 'staging area' and when the waves came at the right angle and tide they were cast up to be found.  I had looked at the energy charts for surfing and there was a lot of energy even tho the intervals were long.  So these waves broke loose the sand and over came the gravity holding the targets in place and sent them 'flying' high up the slope.  Now I'm just going to call them 'anti-gravity' waves for short.  I'll look for storm or swell events that will create these anti-gravity waves to kinda use a science fiction term for beach hunting.

During all of this idle thought getting targets I got another two rings.  I got these in spite of two other detectorists coming on to my little beach but they hunted the blanket line and not the slope.  The second ring looked to be silver and I put it in my Minelab pouch along with the other finds and trash.

When I got home I told my wife I got another couple of rings and some change but I couldn't find the silver ring.  I went back out to the car where I had emptied the pouch and it wasn't there.  Where could it be?  It was time for me to take my son to the park so I told my wife we were off but I went back to the beach first.  I had emptied my pouch in the parking lot and I wanted to check there.  It was not at my parking place.

The only other place I could look would be near the trash can.  I had taken some ragged glass bottle tops off the beach and put them in my pouch when I first started.  As I was leaving the beach I stopped at a trash can to throw them away.  I don't normally do this but ...  So my son and I go to the trash can and I hunt around it with the detector without my headphones.  I don't hear or see anything but I look in the can and I see that the beach maintenance people have taken a Styrofoam cooler with a lot of old french fries and other food garbage and put it in the can.  I was certain this was the can but I couldn't find my broken glass.  My son couldn't wait so off we went to play.

About 30 minutes later it was time to go and I wanted to give one last chance to find the  ring, again.  This time I laid the can down and dug through all of the wet stuff and mess.  The seagulls started gathering around.  My son is looking in the can with me and we see the bottom.  I find one of the glass tops but no ring.  Luckily there were not many people around or someone would have wondered about an old man and a toddler looking through the beach trash.  I wondered about it myself.  It was just a ring.

I put all the stuff back in the can and set it up with no ring.  I wasn't going to have a happy ending.  After I set the can back up I turned on the Nox and swung it about 3 feet from the can and I heard the 24-25 I was looking for.  Sure enough it was the ring.  We went on to the park.  After I showed the ring to my wife and said here was that other ring.  She knew nothing about the 'story' until I told on myself at dinner.  She got a good laugh and so did I.

Here is that cheap little silver ring.

IMG_8663.thumb.JPG.3c1f68fb235ebcc8dc082b5490328092.JPG 

These are the other finds from the day.

IMG_8662.thumb.JPG.0f0ab67d9ab9f55c9acc9907195bce01.JPG

The day after I found the 5 rings which included the gold I found 3 more rings.  That would be Monday.  One is a silver bow-tie ring.

IMG_8670.thumb.JPG.03bccc4574cc40157d75aa8bfd4028c8.JPGIMG_8671.thumb.JPG.4e1d3d618b152e15838c40849bbb409f.JPG

The beach hunt I went to on Wednesday didn't produce much there was a stainless steel ring.

IMG_8664.thumb.JPG.64ee7f12851b8e272e4f8d5eba720315.JPG

Finally I have some other 'find' pictures without a story but that makes for 12 rings this week.

IMG_8668.thumb.JPG.231d163365fa018d7a0ff3b03e69b253.JPGIMG_8669.thumb.JPG.d632b01a2d849c16f3688ebdc6206c1c.JPGIMG_8666.thumb.JPG.c681ac6d00c380efd964b3605bd390fb.JPG

The End

IMG_8667.JPG

• Like 8

Cool, like catch and release! What a better way to re-nourish your favorite hunting spot with your favorite finds! Almost endless fun 🙂

You're luck it wasn't in the trash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, I only threw two pieces of glass in the trash so I guess it 'lodged' in one when I  took them out of the pouch.  It dropped in the sand before the glass made it to the can.  This is what I thought happened when I couldn't find the ring.  There were two places it could be.

Has anyone else done this?

That's a lot of hunting and nice to recapture one that got a away. I hate unsolved mysteries when it includes something you just had in your hands............ I don't mind loosing a silver but it kills me when I loose a gold. I lost three gold rings last year. And only found one. One got knocked out of my sifter by a wave, gone. Second and third got stuck to my gloves ..........they were small...though they went in the pouch but they came back out with out me noticing......... Only found one of those and I recognized it right away. This time making sure It got in the pouch and zipped up..

All it takes is one hunter in the area and for sure he could find it, I lost a silver ring a month ago, hunting with the AQ..took a friend back to the spot..........he found it...I was glad, ................. it solved the mystery and he got something.

• Like 2

That's a good looking ring Mitchel- congrats x 2! 

"Has anyone else done this?"

I think that it happens to everyone if they hunt enough. Once I was scuba diving with my daughter and trying my hand at underwater metal detecting. She had the finds bag and I was handing her everything I found including a silver band, my first and only ring ever found while scuba diving. At the end of the dive we were going through the finds and I asked "where's the ring?"   We never found it and it was a bit humorous but I would have been crying on the inside if it was gold. 😉

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

because I went down to a beach about one hour south but that is another story.

I was waiting for a place report...But almost sure I sent You in a hell as there's no trace or words of southern beauties🤣

• Haha 1

Well, I just couldn't let it go.

I had another ring 'disappear' from my car one day.  I knew it had been on the seat.  The seat had been cleaned up and it wasn't me.  I asked enough questions and searched enough spots to know it had been thrown away in the dumpster the night before!

We went out and searched it and there it was in the bottom.  We have people go through our dumpsters all the time for bottles and cans and many mornings they are dumped so that was really lucky.

• Like 1

Good thing your son isn't in school yet (is he?).  Otherwise I can hear his response to the class assignment about what you want to be when you grow up:  "I want to grow up to be just like my dad!  He's already started teaching me."  (teacher:) "Oh, and what is your father's profession?"  (proud reply:)  "Dumpster Diver!"

On a more serious note, it sounds like you have just one pouch where you put both the good finds and trash.  Or am I misinterpreting?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Well, I just couldn't let it go.

I had another ring 'disappear' from my car one day.  I knew it had been on the seat.  The seat had been cleaned up and it wasn't me.  I asked enough questions and searched enough spots to know it had been thrown away in the dumpster the night before!

We went out and searched it and there it was in the bottom.  We have people go through our dumpsters all the time for bottles and cans and many mornings they are dumped so that was really lucky.

Well, Don't feel bad Mitchel. I have had many finds disappear over the years. Some were given away, others were lost. A couple of one-of-a kind finds were stolen and I have also accidentally thrown some out. However, I think the biggest enjoyment I get from the hobby is finding the good stuff the first time- with the metal detector.