Whites Left Me A Phone Message...

Got a message while I was out of touch in Nevada. Holly? said they were reopening their Oregon repair center for 3 or 4 weeks. She said they'd take care of my GM24K problem, under warranty.

Best news I've had since Tuesday Morning...LOL

Jim

• Like 8

That is really good news, I wish they would reorganize and stay in business.

• Like 5

2Valen

I’ve been with Whites so long it’s like loosing a family member. I too hope they are willing to give their business another try .

Chuck 

• Like 3

Sure, but not criminal. if they failed to live up to the warranty, you could take them to court. Of course, it would be a "losing money" proposition, given what attorneys charge...LOL  I think they still have a lot of unsold inventory. If word got out that the warranty was no good, it would really devalue that inventory. but mostly, I think they're doing the warranty work  because they're decent people. It's the culture of the company, and always has been. That's the saddest thing about the closing....we lose that great culture.

Jim

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Sure, but not criminal. if they failed to live up to the warranty, you could take them to court. Of course, it would be a "losing money" proposition, given what attorneys charge...LOL  I think they still have a lot of unsold inventory. If word got out that the warranty was no good, it would really devalue that inventory. but mostly, I think they're doing the warranty work  because they're decent people. It's the culture of the company, and always has been. That's the saddest thing about the closing....we lose that great culture.

Jim

If you had the Gmx would you take it water hunting now given what  is going on with the  Whites situation?

I generally don't answer hypothetical questions, but if what you're really asking is "do I trust Whites to take care of their warranty issues?" yes I do. And were I in the market, I'd buy one of their remaining detectors.

Jim

• Like 3

That is a good thing to stand behind their word. Glad it worked out for you.

I’m glad it sounds like you might be able to get your issue with the 24K addressed Jim. :smile:

20 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

If you had the Gmx would you take it water hunting now given what  is going on with the  Whites situation?

The problem is not whether Whites wants to do warranty or not. The problem, with the factory closed, is parts supply. The number one issue with the MX Sport/GMX housing was pods that cracked and battery compartments that broke. Given these are a new series, and the obvious fact now that White’s was suffering, how deep is the stock of repair parts? You can’t repair a cracked pod if the parts run out.

Same thing with bad coils. They are generally replaced, not repaired. Is there a big stock of 6” concentric and 4x6 coils to draw on? I very much doubt it. More likely after a little time passes owners of some of these newer models will find that if parts are needed they are just out of luck. Old models like the MXT, perhaps not so much.

That could change if somebody buys White’s and gets back into production while assuming warranty obligations. Even that you never know. Fisher used to have lifetime warranties. When they went under and First Texas bought them, the first thing they did was stop honoring the old warranties.

Given the options from companies that are going concerns, there is no way I’d buy a new White’s right now and just assume the warranty is not going to be an issue. I’d at the least be expecting a serious clearance discount price, but bottom line right now is if I personally wanted a new full warranty detector, I’m not interested in a Whites right now any more than I’m interested in a Tesoro.

• Like 3

My answer wasn't based on the GMX, Steve. That's why I rarely answer hypothetical questions.  I know zip about the GMX, or any other "waterproof" detectors. Don't use 'em. You are correct about the lack of parts. I'm concerned about that with my coil issue. On the other hand, I've done so well with the used Whites detectors I've bought that I don't worry about failures very much. But, that's my choice. No way I would tell anybody else which detector to buy. I try hard to avoid those discussions.

Jim

• Like 3