Sulfides That Burn By Themselves?

Not sure if this is the answer but may give some clues:

hydrogen sulfide, chemical compound, H2S, a colorless, extremely poisonous gas that has a very disagreeable odor, much like that of rotten eggs. It is slightly soluble in water and is soluble in carbon disulfide. Dissolved in water, it forms a very weak dibasic acid that is sometimes called hydrosulfuric acid. Hydrogen sulfide is flammable; in an excess of air it burns to form sulfur dioxide and water, but if not enough oxygen is present, it forms elemental sulfur and water. Hydrogen sulfide is found naturally in volcanic gases and in some mineral waters. It is often formed during decay of animal matter. It is a part of many unrefined carbonaceous fuels, e.g., natural gas, crude oil, and coal; it is obtained as a byproduct of refining such fuels. It may be made by reacting hydrogen gas with molten sulfur or with sulfur vapors, or by treating a metal sulfide (e.g., ferrous sulfide, FeS) with an acid. Hydrogen sulfide reacts with most metal ions to form sulfides; the sulfides of some metals are insoluble in water and have characteristic colors that help to identify the metal during chemical analysis. Hydrogen sulfide also reacts directly with silver metal, forming a dull, gray-black tarnish of silver sulfide (Ag2S).

• Like 1

Thanks Lunk.

I was just looking at a map of the Superstition mountains in Arizona. Could not help but notice a fairly good size spot of bright yellow in the mountains several miles from civilization,maybe 1/2 the size of the yellow smiley face on our forum and that shade of yellow?  I doubt its a beach umbrella...Could it be a large sulfur boulder? Dunno, how it would stand out so well on an aerial Google image? I guess a rock could have been spray painted yellow, but that would be a major no- no  in a wilderness area. The surrounding colors are more beige and reddish and greens. Maybe its a marker rock? or nothing at all...that area is so darn rugged, it might take me all day to hike 2 miles to the spot IF I ever get to Arizona again...

-Tom

That's one of the coolest geology oriented things I've seen in a while. I didn't believe it until I looked it up and sure enough it can happen.

Thanks for the link.