Which Of These 3 Coils For Underwater Work?

Tony

On 7/13/2020 at 3:15 AM, pjrough said:

Here is how detech 8" coil is sealed. I was thinking to open the coil and fill it up with the epoxy, but for the moment decided to glue the protection to ensure better sealing, just in case.

If the cable gland is sealed properly, I don't see problems.

20200712_210408.jpg

20200712_210347.jpg

20200712_210335.jpg

Looks like this will be my future coil on the TDI BeachHunter.......

58 minutes ago, Tony said:

Looks like this will be my future coil on the TDI BeachHunter

Mine too...Bought my today... Hopefully until the end of the month I'll try it after some extra care against leakage..Honestly I thinked to skip all the modifications needed to adapt another coil based for another machine.If is true that gpx coils can run on the Tdi, then should be fine.Also, the original coil tends to float...This will float...No difference but at least a smaller and better manouvrable one.In the worst case I'll make a stainless steel upper shaft💀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pjrough said:

A part there is another thing to take care: detech coil is made to fit minelab shaft. 

So you have to replace the lower rod, or to put some shims.

I'm considering to enlarge the coil ears drilling holes for a bigger stud. 

Even the White's original one doesn't thrill me.

2 minutes ago, pjrough said:

It is not only about the hole, the distance between co-called ears is larger.

🤔So was not only my impression 🤐

In the pictures doesn't seemed that large.

Thank you for the good one to have an idea of it!

9 hours ago, Skullgolddiver said:

Mine too...Bought my today... Hopefully until the end of the month I'll try it after some extra care against leakage..Honestly I thinked to skip all the modifications needed to adapt another coil based for another machine.If is true that gpx coils can run on the Tdi, then should be fine.Also, the original coil tends to float...This will float...No difference but at least a smaller and better manouvrable one.In the worst case I'll make a stainless steel upper shaft💀

SGD

Are you hardwiring or fitting an in-line connector?

I think flotation will be minimal plus I coat my coils in PlastiDip.....maybe even a solid skid plate of plexiglass glued to the coil bottom ?

I can't really contribute much to this conversation but I will say that I absolutely love the 8" mono coil.  I used it on the beach in the heavy black sand last weekend and it was great.  Very stable, easy to swing underwater and deep.  So deep, I need a better sand scoop.  I had to leave multiple deep targets because I simply could not reach them. 

• Like 2

If a job is worth doing then it is worth doing properly. Extra forces in the water make the use of a MInelab lower rod 'highly recommended'. Both Whites and Doc's lower rods shown. Detech 8" mono with Doc's lower rod fitted. Tight fit with no flex or other issues. I modify the rod with stainless steel spring clips in addition to using the locking cam. Some just use the cam lock, but in the water I would go with both. The White's and Minelab rods are the same diameter so fit into the uppers is perfect. Tried alternatives but because I tolerate zero flex I ended up with the GPX compatible lower rods. Glad I did it in the end. All the best.

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1169 (1).JPG

l_air_test.jpg

detech 1.jpg

1552006821_light.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tony said:

hardwiring or fitting an in-line connector

I think to hardwire it for a couple reasons...Not only for a watertight work, but even to avoid different coil's operations due to connector eventual resistance/capacitance/electrolysis phenomenons...Things that I'm not able to measure and master on the control box...Not yet at my level of electronics knowledge...I'll lose the option to change the coil in a fast way, but is not my primary target.

I'm doing this thing for a noise reduction first and hopefully to reduce also delay a bit to "see"thin stuff eventually 😬 missed with forced settings I'm using.