Which Of These 3 Coils For Underwater Work?

Tony

10 hours ago, N7XW said:

I can't really contribute much to this conversation but I will say that I absolutely love the 8" mono coil.  I used it on the beach in the heavy black sand last weekend and it was great.  Very stable, easy to swing underwater and deep.  So deep, I need a better sand scoop.  I had to leave multiple deep targets because I simply could not reach them. 

Definitely appreciate first hand experience 👍

Is this on the TDI detecor?

2 hours ago, Skullgolddiver said:

I think to hardwire it for a couple reasons...Not only for a watertight work, but even to avoid different coil's operations due to connector eventual resistance/capacitance/electrolysis phenomenons...Things that I'm not able to measure and master on the control box...Not yet at my level of electronics knowledge...I'll lose the option to change the coil in a fast way, but is not my primary target.

I'm doing this thing for a noise reduction first and hopefully to reduce also delay a bit to "see"thin stuff eventually 😬 missed with forced settings I'm using.

I’m all set to hardwire......if I don’t hear back regarding the 3 spoke coil then the Detech 8” mono will be ordered. It should be a simple plug cutoff and then wire up.....one to the centre wire and the other to the outer shield braid.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

one to the centre wire and the other to the outer shield braid.

I can't help on this subject😁😁😁 but ready to know what and where to weld

Here’s a photo of the Whites coil wire after desoldered from main board..

Should be able to replicate this with the Detech coil cable.....fairly typical mono coill setup where the Receive and Transmit are on the same centre wire. Just need to twist up enough outer braid for soldering up to the other wire (shown black in photo)

BDAF6A20-C0EC-4ECA-9089-523CB9574BE1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

Just need to twist up enough outer braid for soldering up to the other wire (shown black in photo)

I can do that 😎 

Thanks

8 hours ago, Tony said:

Definitely appreciate first hand experience 👍

Is this on the TDI detecor?

Unfortunately not.  I was using the Infinium.

On 7/11/2020 at 7:51 AM, karelian said:

Remembered the older Whites PI beach machines had the weighted 950 coil. Spotted this one from an old expired fleabay add. Seller was in Florida and asking $100. Old add, but it helps to know what you want.  Whites PI Surfmaster Diver 950 coil. Others would know more than me about this coil, zero buoyancy??

Whites-PI-Surfmaster-Yellow-950-Coil (1).jpg

I had that coil it is fantastic, found more rings than ever...but that was back when everyone and their kids were wearing gold lol.

And here it is...🤩

Now I only need to find a peaceful place and a bit of time to do the surgery operation 😁...

Boosted Battery pack on the road too...

I'll make a picture of finished work....Hopefully the next week... cheers all

IMG_20200723_125632_compress1.jpg

• Like 2

If you get stuck with the surgery, I can help. If possible, leave the red and black wires on the PCB (don’t desolder) unless you have someone to help hold these wires as you solder onto the small tabs. These wires can be used to connect to your new coil wires so leave them if you find it easier. You also don’t need to detach the control plugs from the PCB as I did on the picture. The gasket is tricky.....but I’ve done it a few times and no problems. Just make it is seated properly before you tighten any screws.....a small flat piece of plastic helps move it into place after the lid is placed on top. Get someone to keep pressure on the top lid as you seat the gasket and THEN secure the screws....just enough for the plastic tabs on top lid and bottom half to touch....no more than that ! 
I use silicone grease on the gasket as it helps the top lid to seat easier and slide over the gasket.....but the gasket can pop off easier too before the top lid is secure. You’ll work it out okay. Make sure the gasket isn’t pinched as you gently tighten the screws.....use that piece of plastic to slowly seat the gasket if does bunch up. A credit card is good to use.

Goos luck

Tony

• Thanks 1