Which Of These 3 Coils For Underwater Work?

Tony

I have decided to finally swap out my big 12” Dual field coil on my TDIBH for something smaller. The purpose is to use in the water.

I have some pros and cons with each model so feel free to add any ideas you have.

1. Coiltek Platypus 12x8. Waterproof, epoxy filled. Maybe too long on the 12” side which sees the most water resistance
  2. Detech 8” Mono. Foam filled so more buoyant but not too worried as 2/3 the size of the Dual Field coil. Good size. Waterproof.
  3. Garrett 8” Mono coil. Waterproof, epoxy filled. Good size. Suitable for lower delays?

51FCEEBE-81B3-42AA-ABA7-2CEA6E74AD20.jpeg.41d9fab6686659778785642bc994e9f0.jpegGarrett coil

37B388E5-F66A-4747-8C3A-603628B73C64.jpeg Coiltek coil

58BEBC9E-9E14-405E-B293-ED98B82C259F.jpegDetech coil

If you don't want to live my same nightmare, try to ask Nenad as I think is the only "authorized" dealer near your area able to sell something of those brands to you...I tried to buy the platypus in the Usa...Nothing...

• Like 1

All okay....I have access to all these coils locally and for about the same price.

There may be a fourth option and my first choice......hope to find out soon.
This style.....⬇️

EC69D8EA-AA9F-4FED-9304-E955EF59F70C.jpeg

• Like 1

Remembered the older Whites PI beach machines had the weighted 950 coil. Spotted this one from an old expired fleabay add. Seller was in Florida and asking $100. Old add, but it helps to know what you want.  Whites PI Surfmaster Diver 950 coil. Others would know more than me about this coil, zero buoyancy??

Whites-PI-Surfmaster-Yellow-950-Coil (1).jpg

• Like 1

I have been watching out for those coils but very hard to find. Hopefully the three spoke coil becomes a reality.....fingers crossed 👍

I use the 8'' Garrett Mono coil on my 'Crossbow' pulse works exceptionally well,also have the 14x9 coil as well,both work well but the 8'' is my favourite out of the 2.Very good depth and also good for smaller targets like jewellery etc.

• Like 2

Anderson makes a weight that attaches to the coil to fix the floating issue. Around $35 US, on fleabay. Was thinking of something similar for my 12" duel field coil used on the beach with the Tdi Pro up to knee deep.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Foam filled solid coil might be hard to swing in the water and might be too buoyant. I have used the 8" Garrett mono on my SHMK2 and it handles nice in the water. There is also the 10x14 mono that gives bit more depth and covers more area but I find it hard to pinpoint with, usually end up using the edges of the coil to narrow my dig.

Do want to point out that the Garrett coils can be prone to chipping if you bang them good. Wish they made a coil cover for it.