My New Scoopal Sand Scoop

17 hours ago, okara gold said:

Nice looking scoop with a hard to beat price. I especially like the small holes right on the tip so if the target falls through the larger holes you can just pick it up without a lot of extra material.

I agree about the small holes. And honestly, I don’t think price equates to durability. This thing is built like a tank. Heavy duty stainless, all one piece with only welding back and top. The handle support is overbuilt if anything. I think it will prove to be a very durable scoop. Not to mention you can buy two of these and still have money leftover compared to the more expensive models.

scoopal-sand-scoop-2-stainless-steel-beach-detecting.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not sure you could use a carbon fiber handle with your Scoopal without some sort of adaptor. Carbon fiber and u-bolts don't fair well. If you're into titanium, Extreme scoops has a version in that too. They're not cheap, and I haven't heard a lot of feedback on how well they're holding up. Anyone have one they've put some miles on?

1 hour ago, cudamark said:

I'm not sure you could use a carbon fiber handle with your Scoopal without some sort of adaptor

Seems like a piece of pipe cut lengthwise and a sleeve/washer would do the trick. I'm fine with hardwood myself, like hickory sledgehammer handles.

Sure, a short length of thin pipe cut in half should do the trick if the overall diameter doesn't get so big that the u-bolts won't slip over everything and the holes in bracket still line up. Wait until you get  a few more years behind you. Then you will appreciate the weight saving that the carbon fiber gives you. 😀

• Haha 1

Man! That’s seems like great price for that scoop. I’m very curious how it holds up in hard packed clay. Keep us posted!

Aaron

Well Steve , I can give you a personal rundown on that scoop as I have had 2 ( make that 3) of them.

The GOOD : price , can't beat it. Lightweight and small as I can twirl it like a high school cheerleader.  Great for dry , medium wet /damp soft sand.

The BAD : size , I also prefer it a little bigger/wider= less scoops to retrieve your target. Durability is suspect ; I'm rough on my scoops. Bought 2 (1 for backup). The factory aluminum handle will buckle. So I put a carbon fiber shaft on it. Make sure to constantly check the u-bolts are tight and secure. Mine loosened up , eventually enlarging the holes that secure the bolts to the scoop. This in turn caused more pressure on the bracket itself. Then the thin SS started to tear apart on the backside. This was done in hardpack , almost concrete like wet sand. Again I'm hardcore on my scoops , dig fast and don't mess around. This scoop was rendered useless within 5 months.

The UGLY: the return. Because serious detecting only warrants it for 30 days , I had to jump through hoops. They told me to contact the manufacturer Quest rep from China. They gave me the contact info. I never talked to anybody , though I tried. It was all emails , sending pics , etc. On the other side of the world. Then it was back and forth , then finally sent to the wrong address. Which created more problems. This was pre covid. Bottomline is after about 2.5 months I finally get it shipped from SERIOUS.  Which could have been done initially in 2 weeks. The busted 1 went in the trash. I had 2 new scoops which I promptly sold. Never again...

The CONSENSUS : I still actually think it's a good scoop as long as you kinda baby it. Just wasn't large and strong enough for me. Price is right , I guess.... hope you have better luck than me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, King-Of-Bling said:

hope you have better luck than me.

I’m sure I will. I don’t think it’s a matter of luck. I carefully maintain my gear, and do things like use nylocks, etc. You could definitely say I am the kind of person that babies their gear. When I dig, I work and wiggle instead of power forcing it. I’m fine with the size also. If I’d wanted bigger I’d have got it, but having used this size scoop in the past I find I get the majority of my targets on the first scoop. Excellent report, a good counterpoint and warning to those who are rougher on their gear than I am - thank you! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How good are the Coob scoops? Think they are in the same price range.

• 1 month later...

I decided to upgrade my scoop from the broken rake handle I was using to an ash shovel handle. I picked up an Ames True Temper 2037400 46-Inch ash shovel replacement handle at Home Depot for about $15. I cut the taper off at the shovel end at an angle to match the scoop angle and bolted in place. Still happy with the scoop. It is holding up well.... but as I mentioned earlier I do not brute force my digging. More like wiggle and work in the rocks and hardpack.

scoopal-digging-scoop-beach-wood-handle.jpg

• Like 5

Truck bed liner paint makes for a nice grip on the wood handle. I still have a regular rake handle, I don't beat up on my diggers either. Too many rocks to work through. Stomping it will certainly damage the scoop.

IMG_1201.JPG

• Like 1