My New Scoopal Sand Scoop

I like my snow rake handle, the scoop has quick release with pin like the detector shafts and so far seems super sturdy. Finding that being able to pop the handle off fits in back of the car much easier. I had posted pics somewheres on the forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King-Of-Bling said:

Yeah. Not really worth the effort. Smaller diameter for a scoop will flex. Unless you glue a dowel the entire length. Then cap the end with a bike grip. Also gives the impression that your a cheap loser. That's right...I did it ONCE !

I built mine with Schedule 40 PVC, it has a solid Bamboo core and a Raptor handle. It floats, and digs heavy river muck like a champ. Weighs about 4 pounds. 😁

20201108_154907.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I built mine with Schedule 40 PVC, it has a solid Bamboo core and a Raptor handle. It floats, and digs heavy river muck like a champ. Weighs about 4 pounds. 😁

20201108_154907.jpg

That sure looks alot nicer than the one I built. How tall is that and why ?

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

As shown on the last page I picked up an Ames True Temper 2037400 46-Inch ash shovel replacement handle, which fit my hardware without needing shims. The handle tapers at the end, and I sawed the taper off so the bolts fit the thickest part of the handle. I do not think Brian did this above, and you can see the length difference in the u-bolt excess becasue of it. The u-bolts are too long but other than that the hardware supplied with mine is fine. I double bolted and used loctite, so not expecting issues there.

scoopal-digging-scoop-beach-wood.jpg

scoopal-hardware-details.jpg

I see you used washers as well. Good to know. Looks pretty decent. I just got my RTG Blade today but may get a second one and this might be be a good option. Just was never too sure because of complaints off pulling bolts through. 

37 minutes ago, King-Of-Bling said:

That sure looks alot nicer than the one I built. How tall is that and why ?

Gotta say I stole the idea from some famous "Boys who vacuum" 😀 it's about 5' tall. Reason is that if you're in deep water you not only want leverage, you don't want to have to bend over and get your upper torso wet, or fill your waders. You pick it up and dump it in a floating sieve. 🤗 I watch their videos because most of what they find is relevant to me, they're not too far away.

Wanted to use schedule 80 PVC but they didn't have any at the time. Thicker walls.

The shovel part is a CooB Shark V10. 2mm stainless.

4 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Gotta say I stole the idea from some famous "Boys who vacuum" 😀 it's about 5' tall. Reason is that if you're in deep water you not only want leverage, you don't want to have to bend over and get your upper torso wet, or fill your waders. You pick it up and dump it in a floating sieve. 🤗 I watch their videos because most of what they find is relevant to me, they're not too far away.

Wanted to use schedule 80 PVC but they didn't have any at the time. Thicker walls.

The shovel part is a CooB Shark V10. 2mm stainless.

Very nice. And you don't have any issues with that 1 hole screw design ? Or do you run a bolt through it...

5 minutes ago, King-Of-Bling said:

Very nice. And you don't have any issues with that 1 hole screw design ? Or do you run a bolt through it...

Stainless bolt. Goes through the PVC and the bamboo dowel inside. I walked around Lowe's for quite a while until I found something that fit the pipe perfectly. I did have to sand the PVC a bit to get it to fit. Used a belt sander upside down in a vise. Sealed everything with marine sealant.

I've used it a few times with no issues, going to take it to the beach in a few weeks.

20 minutes ago, nickeldNdimed said:

I see you used washers as well. Good to know. Looks pretty decent. I just got my RTG Blade today but may get a second one and this might be be a good option. Just was never too sire because of complaints off pulling bolts through. 

My 1st blade only lasted about 2 months. I believe the welds were weak. Started to split at the top of the bucket where the handle meets. Then the weld at the handle started to go. The warranty and folks at RTG are awesome. So they made me a custom one with more width and thickness on the strap where the shaft meets. Going on 2 years now. SS lip a little bent and rivets are wearing down. But I'm extremely happy with this scoop for what I put it through and the cost. I believe I posted a thread and pics of this and a scoopal failure ( nightmare on getting it replaced ) on the other forum. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Stainless bolt. Goes through the PVC and the bamboo dowel inside. I walked around Lowe's for quite a while until I found something that fit the pipe perfectly. I did have to sand the PVC a bit to get it to fit. Used a belt sander upside down in a vise. Sealed everything with marine sealant.

I've used it a few times with no issues, going to take it to the beach in a few weeks.

Thank you. You have now changed my mind on what looks to be a good , solid and CHEAP alternative for a shaft. I have also used a decent fiberglass shovel handle with a dowel in the past that came out pretty good.

• Like 1

The ash handles like Steve H. used are fairly cheap at HD! About 15-20 bucks last I checked! I triple lacquered mine before mounting to my T-Rex! Going on 5 years and still holding up well!

One day I will cave for one of Steve G's carbon fiber handles! Probably the two piece, so I can store easily!👍👍