My New Scoopal Sand Scoop

I use the peel and stick anti-slip strips for a bathtub on my handles. Real easy to replace or add new ones when needed.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, cudamark said:

I use the peel and stick anti-slip strips for a bathtub on my handles. Real easy to replace or add new ones when needed.

Those are a little rough on my hands as I slide my hands kinda fast for retrieve , but they do work. I even tried safety grip tread tape. Like that used on a skateboard. What a mistake. Tore through my gloves in a week. Down right dangerous !

• Haha 1

I like how the handle is attached. Looks like it holds it tight.

• 6 months later...
On 8/29/2020 at 8:57 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I decided to upgrade my scoop from the broken rake handle I was using to an ash shovel handle. I picked up an Ames True Temper 2037400 46-Inch ash shovel replacement handle at Home Depot for about $15. I cut the taper off at the shovel end at an angle to match the scoop angle and bolted in place. Still happy with the scoop. It is holding up well.... but as I mentioned earlier I do not brute force my digging. More like wiggle and work in the rocks and hardpack.

scoopal-digging-scoop-beach-wood-handle.jpg

Steve, did you use the included hardware on the U bolts or did you upgrade or change anything?

Most feedback I have seen on these is that the hardware eventually pulls through. But maybe that’s from rougher use. 

7 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

Steve, did you use the included hardware on the U bolts or did you upgrade or change anything?

Most feedback I have seen on these is that the hardware eventually pulls through. But maybe that’s from rougher use. 

I also purchased the same scoop as Steve, based on his recommendation, thank you Steve.  As I was assembling the scoop to the handle,I noticed that the supplied nuts were not going to hold without the help of washers.  The drilled holes were slightly and I mean slightly smaller than the nuts, so washers were needed and unfortunately not supplied.  I also added a piece of rubber under the “U” bolts to prevent slippage and damage to the wooden handle.  This being my first scoop, I don’t know if the rubber is a good idea or not, time will tell.  Hope this helps,

Brian. 

3C8249A6-88F6-48CE-84BB-630CFEC080D2.jpeg

FFF12E41-6F72-4856-949E-B9ED86E28610.jpeg

• Like 3

As shown on the last page I picked up an Ames True Temper 2037400 46-Inch ash shovel replacement handle, which fit my hardware without needing shims. The handle tapers at the end, and I sawed the taper off so the bolts fit the thickest part of the handle. I do not think Brian did this above, and you can see the length difference in the u-bolt excess becasue of it. The u-bolts are too long but other than that the hardware supplied with mine is fine. I double bolted and used loctite, so not expecting issues there.

scoopal-digging-scoop-beach-wood.jpg

scoopal-hardware-details.jpg

• Like 2

Why they supplied those u-bolts is beyond me. Your foot slips or just carrying around can cause some injury. This is speaking from experience. Option 1 : buy smaller length u-bolts. Option 2 ( what I did , much cleaner) : buy a few slightly larger washers and locknuts ( the kind with plastic in them so they don't unscrew by themselves). 2 washers and tighten down nut , then grind down excess bolt. Bottomline is do what you can to eliminate that excess bolt sticking out.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PhaseTech said:

Has anyone tried PVC tube/pipe as a handle? 

Yeah. Not really worth the effort. Smaller diameter for a scoop will flex. Unless you glue a dowel the entire length. Then cap the end with a bike grip. Also gives the impression that your a cheap loser. That's right...I did it ONCE !

• Haha 1