Went Out In Lake Michigan Today And There Was Some Black Sand On The Beach

It was streaks of black sand on the beach. I hunted in the water with the Equinox 800 in Gold 1. I didn't dig any deep targets. The scoop would have black sand go across regular sand when I would shake the scoop. Everywhere I hunt is very mild. I don't know if this is affecting the depth here or not. My other beach waters would ground balance 0. This one was 14. The Gold Kruzer mineral was bouncing 2 - 3 bars. That's not to bad.

I ran a super magnet thru the sand on the beach. Is this a lot of black sand on the magnet or not? I have seen sold black sand beaches in the upper peninsula of Michigan. They mine a lot iron in the UP.

Beach.jpg

That’s what my magnets looks like after I clean the magnetite off! :smile: As has been said before, in locations with heavy concentrations, a single swipe through beach sand will double or triple the size of your magnets as it is totally encased in a spiky ball of magnetite.

7E171711-48E2-4F72-8571-8C6548DFBFEA.jpeg
6500D476-EAF3-49D4-8BB5-E20ABD276E02.jpeg

• Like 4

From your description and black sand magnet results, you could probably do just as well in Park 1 which is actually in the manual as the first choice for freshwater hunting. That is what I use on freshwater lakes in the Denver area and there is plenty of black sand.

Jeff

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jeff McClendon said:

you could probably do just as well in Park 1 which is actually in the manual as the first choice for freshwater hunting.

I do the same thing and it works just fine.

There is some black sand on the shores up there, but all I have ever found was flour gold there.

Make sure you adjust your iron bias to your choosing and then ground balance.

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That’s what my magnets looks like after I clean the magnetite off! :smile: As has been said before, in locations with heavy concentrations, a single swipe through beach sand will double or triple the size of your magnets as it is totally encased in a spiky ball of magnetite.

7E171711-48E2-4F72-8571-8C6548DFBFEA.jpeg

WE HAVE A BINGO!!!!

NICE Black Sand Spikes!!!

• Like 1

In lake Ontario on the south shore it depends on the spot.  If you get a certain wind direction that takes  the tan sand off and the black sand piles up on the shore it can be super  hot in these   spots.A lot of times the coins and jewelry are laying on the  black sand where you eyeball them and pick them up like pop corn. I have had my xterra overload because  that part of the beach was that hot.I would say mostly it is  half way hot where     deeper  targets makes the  signal sound worse when the black sand is not as  concentrated with the tan sand.If the black sand is thick you want a pi because the signals are terrible   unless they are on the surface.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, midalake said:

With all due respect. That magnet is not holding "black sand"....

Why is Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee) entering my mind?

black-sand_1.jpg.dde7bc0c4f7fbe8b1405ccab4f7acb6e.jpg

"(chuckle) That's not black sand."

black-sand_2.jpg.d0a031639b8f254fee9dad8e0ea84350.jpg

"That's black sand!"

• Like 4