• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been wanting to take the QED to the beach for a while now, it has a Mode 11 beach mode which is very deep, its essentially just a mode that has ground balance disabled at 7.5uS pulse delay.

If they scream in your ears, being not so deep, just move downward from them a little, to go on another "line"... If you dig it deeper with an higher amount of thin and light stuff, might be the

A PI gets max depth under normal conditions without ground balancing. The ground balance is a subtractive methodology and does not add depth, but instead removes an offending part of the signal that i

Posted Images

Excellent result!  You have a new place to detect when the urge hits you.

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, phrunt said:

with such a big coil

Your test area is really not so different from mine conditions...Strong salty, more than heavy mineralized.

However I think a 10" is the good balance in your environment and probably even with smaller coil, You'd still need to raise pulse delay a bit over 10uS. Vlf is not the answer if you're are not between dozens of signals...Trust me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I will try clean it up a bit somehow.  My silvers from the sports fields always come up looking new.

Try a ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with a little ammonia in it, it cleans silver pretty good for me.

• Thanks 1

Looks like a good place to practice social distancing.You got a tough target in very tough  conditions which makes it a good day. It also  Looks  like a good place to fly a kite.             

• Like 1

I was pretty happy to get the Florin, I've found hundreds of silver coins and only two Florins, well three now.

Funny enough you're right Skullgolddiver, I was in Mode 5 in the wet sand which is a Pulse Delay of 10 (Mines a post upgrade QED).  It ran fine in that mode on the wet sand with the 15" spiral X-coil.  I put it on to cover ground being a giant beach.

delay figures.png

I don't think Iron disc would help much, very little junk was iron, mostly bottle tops and pull tabs but I like target ID's as I'm a lazy digger 🙂 At least on the beach digging was easy.

Fortunately we don't have to social distance here anymore, thankfully we have eliminated Covid from New Zealand and life's been back to normal for some time now.  Our last transmission case was 71 days ago.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, phrunt said:

mostly bottle tops and pull tabs

If they scream in your ears, being not so deep, just move downward from them a little, to go on another "line"...

If you dig it deeper with an higher amount of thin and light stuff, might be the case to go home or elsewhere soon...

Always go for weight my friend, never trust numbers so much, even if it reveals iron, it is better to dig 30 iron grams in acceptable depth than 2 aluminium grams ...

• Like 4

SGD said it Simon, those are 'mass' clues I use also.  I dug a lot of iron drill bits at one beach and on other 'good' beaches I'll dig fishing weights and know there is a chance for rings.

Mass matters as the waves and energy classifies the targets unless they are fresh drops.  You didn't tell us how far you were from 'shore' in your picture.

I would think you could put on your ski clothes and stay out a bit longer.  

Mitchel

• Like 3

Simon, I'd also say you have a unique beach there to have a silver coin in that kind of shape.  My old coins which are all clad, copper and nickel have much more wear and corrosion.  I can't quite understand a beach that would have a coin like you found (within detectable range) without more beach wear.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Simon, I'd also say you have a unique beach there to have a silver coin in that kind of shape.  My old coins which are all clad, copper and nickel have much more wear and corrosion.  I can't quite understand a beach that would have a coin like you found (within detectable range) without more beach wear.

That is after I cleaned the coin when I got home, I couldn't take photos at the beach as my phone went flat, I'm going to try clean it further yet to try make it look like one of the ones I find in the grass, they always look new.  The silver was quite high up, where I took the photo is about 3/4 of the way down the beach to the water and it was further away from the water than the spot I took the photo..  The beach is very flat, I don't know how far the tide comes in but it's a very wide beach which is why to move closer to the water I drove my car, it is possible that coin has never had salt water on it, just the salt from the sand 🙂   It was hard to tell where the tide gets to as the entire beach was wet from the rain, I don't go to this beach often, once every few years, I am an inland lake person, not an ocean guy 🙂   I guess the closest to the water I got was between 50 to 100 meters.

I did a bit of driving around and exploring the beach before detecting, it's pretty fun driving along it, you can drive for miles and stopped at spots for a swing for a few minutes.  I will go back on a nicer day but not a warm day as I like to detect when nobody is around.  I had the beach to myself yesterday.  I tried my T2 and Ace 350 there years ago and both really struggled to work, even on the dry sand up near the dunes.

• Like 2