• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished off the stick battery, All works as should....m=uses stock "AQ" mounts which is nice....next is get it in the water later this week. Painted 3/4 flat black and left a clear area so I can watc

If the dag thing did not cost so much I would take it a part...then the warranty things also. If you shake it you can hear it rattle inside so I know it's rebuild able if it is loose. O well. some day

Putting things straight about  batteries (specially Li-Ion) for the AQ (or for any portable device) Three different cases: Independent battery cells   They are charged in parallel

Posted Images

I'm amazed at what you can do! 👏

• Like 1

Very slick, Joe!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Thanks 1

That turned out great Joe. Nice job!

• Thanks 1

Joe,

What is the approximate total cost that you have in the 26650 battery version, part wise excluding labor? Your DIY skills match your detecting skill so I am not surprised to see such a clean factory looking setup as your attention to details are just as equal.  Kudos to you on taking the time out of your detecting time to better this machine.  Of course more uninterrupted time in the water beyond the 3.5 hours is the main driving force behind your work on this project but also maybe a little "FT, why didn't YOU do this in the first place" attitude can be seen also. LOL

Can't wait for the DIY video!!!

HH,

Joe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, cuniagau said:

Joe,

What is the approximate total cost that you have in the 26650 battery version, part wise excluding labor? Your DIY skills match your detecting skill so I am not surprised to see such a clean factory looking setup as your attention to details are just as equal.  Kudos to you on taking the time out of your detecting time to better this machine.  Of course more uninterrupted time in the water beyond the 3.5 hours is the main driving force behind your work on this project but also maybe a little "FT, why didn't YOU do this in the first place" attitude can be seen also. LOL

Can't wait for the DIY video!!!

HH,

Joe

Thanks cuniagau..

A quick add up. maybe 65.oo dollars. I'll do a break down later to confirm. I'm happy with this first try at a battery but I see a few things I need to change..Let see how this one goes, I can start using it more now that I don't have to worry about the run time.

I also slipped in a on/off button for the audio, I'm just as excited about that also..

Good Luck to you, and Be safe..

• Like 2

That's a nice looking setup Joe, to have your AQ battery improved, completed and ready to go. 👏

Looking forward to run times.

Looks great Joe! I’m really thinking four 26650 batteries are going to be the optimum solution for those wanting longer run times. Yours is more elegant and waterproof than my more off the shelf alternative. Total cost either way looks to be about the same at around $70 batteries included.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By schoolofhardNox
      Got a chance to try the AQ on the wet slopes at one of my beaches. I spent most of the day waiting for a low tide so I could see how the AQ performed for me. This beach is generally protected, so the beach does not get ripped up very often from storms. The first part of the day was using my GPX for the dry sand. Late afternoon I spent 2 ¾ hours on the wet slope with the AQ. I ran mute exclusively with 7.5us. It ran very stable with almost no end of sweep falsing. Really nice and smooth. I am still learning, so I dug everything I heard (and even a couple of nulls) which ended up being a quarter and a toy car. The hair pins and long thin wires all gave a double beep, I will be passing on digging them from now on. I will probably live with digging the bottle caps as there are not as many on the wet slopes as there are on the dry sand. I did find 2 rings and was hoping for gold but stainless 316 and aluminum is all I could muster up. They did come in very strong and were in the 10-12” range. All in all, I am happy with the performance of the AQ and I am sure when I get some hours under my belt, I will be more confident in what to dig. I rarely give up on digging a target once I start, but I had to leave a nice deep small target. The water was filling up the hole and the sides caved in so many times that I gave up on it. This area of the beach has a layer of fine sand followed by a layer or small pebble and shell. The next layer has larger rocks locked together tightly. A small target was located somewhere in that last layer. Using the edge of the coil vertically as a pin pointer on the AQ works excellent. What does not work at all is Garrett's pin pointer in water. Even balancing it to the water does not help. I think if I had a better pin pointer, I would have located that target. Also, I am really liking the ease of using the AQ. It does not take you long to get used to how it works or how it sounds. I think it will work well for my type of beach hunting.

• By Tmox
      This could happen to you!!
      Long slow romantic walk on the beach this morning. Almost 3 hours in it's time to change the battery. I take the battery off the detector to make the swap and look at it and holy cow the thing is bulbous!
      I suspect this is what happens when you don't practice safe charging.

I was just thinking about the recent threads on the beautiful batteries OBN is making and thinking I don't need to get one, I've got two perfectly good batteries. I'm going to rethink that. HELP OBN!
      Tim

• By Tmox
      This is my "field expedient" really low budget Connector Protector. My original plan was to simple add a piece of 3/4" pvc to the end of the shaft to protect that frail looking little connector in case a fall. That done I thought if I add a 90* elbow and a "tee" them it sorta kinda protects the battery also.
      If you decide to try this, the only little trick is the 3/4" pvc doesn't quite fit over the end of the detector shaft. You need to make sure the black end cap that has the connector is flush (may require a tiny bit of sanding). you need to heat your piece of 3/4" pvc with a heat gun and when it is soft slip it over the end and let it cool. It will be a very tight slip fit. You are good to go.

Up next my pregnant battery.
      Tim
    • By Joe Beechnut OBN
      Got in 4 hours Tuesday AM, started out with rough water but by 11 am things were calming down. Took me about 30 minutes of messing with the controls before I got it to run stable and under control, then I slowly adjusted the setting as the water calmed. Started out with the settings ....delay 11.5 (15) Sensitivity 6, ATS 8, All metal , volume I ran high the whole time with the threshold just audible.. ( The settings that really seem to calm the AQ in rough water is the delay and ATS ) And by end of day I cut the delay down to 11, sensitivity 4, ATS 6, all metal, volume 9, and threshold 4/5 just audible.  It was purring like a kitten. Dug a lot of nickels, no silver coins, one nickel / silver ring (my first marked that) and one 1.5 gram 10k..
      This spot I have passed thru with the excalibur a few times of late, I've yet to find targets the way the AQ does. Shallow targets here are trash so I keep on walking on those..I only dig faints here...and the ring was maybe 12/14 inch's? The AQ loves the small gold rings.  
      First time out this year with the drysuit, It was 60 degrees with winds early am. I hate being cold...Plus on one of the other forums some one posted about some flesh eat bacteria and I had cuts on me from working in the yard Monday so best to be safe. All worked out good and glad I went that route.
      Video of..........cam has been on the blink of late, I think the problem is moisture inside of the Go Pro. As you can tell by the frosty video. I checked to see if i got the gold ring on video, it did, then I stopped the recording..... then it would not restart. Once home I checked and it started to work again. I just dropped it in a bag of rice to see if that will draw some of the moisture out.

• By Carolina
      Just a short note on Joe’s “shorty” AQ battery. It fits well under the cuff and balance was not noticeably effected from the lighter than stock battery. Run time for me in “tone mode” was 6 hours 20 minutes. It is my understanding that in all metal it is approximately one hour less. The M12 (CTX) phones connector was a welcomed change and the power cable with a small loop and ninety degree connector also worked well. Get one of his battery set ups and avoid changing batteries in mid hunt, while they are available. I believe he has other set ups with even longer run times. Knocked it out of the park again Joe, thanks.

• By schoolofhardNox
      Finally I  was able to get to a beach after their season ended. I used the AQ in all metal and mute modes. I could not use the tone mode since I was way too close to the Acela high speed train. Most of the trains that run that rail don't affect my pulse machines too much, but when the Acela hits the rails, it's a no go for any machine. The AQ handled it a bit better than my GPX does. But you still have to hear the interference and at times you just can't hunt. I hunted for 5 1/2 hours with the AQ  (2 3/4 hrs per each battery). The low tide was exceptionally "high" at +0.9. This did not allow me to get much wet sand, so most of the hunt is in dry sand and any wet sand I could find. This is just the first part of the hunt involving the AQ. I hunted another 3 1/2 hours with the GPX not shown here.  I have a lot to learn, so I am digging every target. I am getting better at knowing hair pins, as I could call most of them before I dug them. Bottle caps are a different story, as the only idea they might be bottle caps was the extremely strong and wider signal. But I think a gold ring a 2" would sound the same? I should be able to get out again soon and hit a very good low tide, so I will have better information on how I do in the iron and wet sand. I did manage to get a small silver ring, some bling jewelry and a lot of exercise! Settings were Carolina's settings. Thanks man! I ran at 7.5us most of the time. I still like how the AQ responds and feels generally. Only real drawback is swapping out a battery making sure no sand gets into the connections. For those that have way more experience on the AQ than I do, have you found the depth on dry sand to be equal or less than wet sand?