CTX 4040 Or Equinox 1000... Or Both?

Minelab has five key products under development. It should be a pretty good bet that with the CTX 3030 being so old it does not even appear on the timeline below, that a product refresh is in the works. We also all know Multi-IQ was a big success. And one thing I know about Minelab, is the V2 version of anything is the one to die for. They usually come out with something totally new as proof of concept, and then the next version or two refines that into everything it really can be.

The main question I have is the hardware. Will the new model still use the existing CTX housing? It’s a little heavy, but well balanced, and does allow for much more battery capacity. Or do they use the Equinox design? Hard to imagine in an upscale model, so I’d kind of doubt that. Something brand new, with the best features of CTX, but lighter weight? A new design would help keep the price down, which is a key now if you really want a best seller.

minelab-ctx-4040-equinox-1000.png
New Minelab Ultimate

The most requested thing in Equinox is more target range, so mating a CTX type display with Multi-IQ would seem a bit of a no-brainer. All I know is that if a Minelab can successfully put the best of CTX and Equinox together in a single detector, something that would make owners of either of those detectors want one, it could be another major home run for Minelab. And yes, it is the next detector that I personally am waiting for, now that I finally got an Impulse in my hands. Well, and whatever follows the GPZ 7000. Impulse plus CTX replacement plus GPZ follow up is what I’m shooting for as my future personal lineup.

new detector.PNG

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The main question I have is the hardware. Will the new model still use the existing CTX housing? It’s a little heavy, but well balanced, and does allow for much more battery capacity. Or do they use the Equinox design? Hard to imagine in an upscale model, so I’d kind of doubt that. Something brand new, with the best features of CTX, but lighter weight? A new design would help keep the price down, which is a key now if you really want a best seller.  (emphasis mine)

The other thing the Equinox introduced was its low price/performance ratio.  Advances equivalent to the Fisher F75 and White's Vision (eventually V3i) at $1300 and CTX at $2500 -- probably won't work in the 202x decade.  I realize there are those who will pay whatever it takes to get the top performer.  There are also those who won't, and obviously one of the manufacturers' toughest decisions to maximize profit (or to an extreme, to simply show a profit) is how to set the price point.

• Like 3

WOW! I was ready buy a CTX when I heard about the Equinox and changed my mind after reading about it. With 5 products in development you have to know one of the five is going to be another hit like the Equinox. A suped up CTX would awesome.  At my age not sure I will ever buy another new detector but I said that about buying new vehicles and I have bought 3 of them in the past two years so when there is something out there I want I go for it

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The most requested thing in Equinox is more target range, so mating a CTX type display with Multi-IQ would seem a bit of a no-brainer.

This, I think.  With Multi-IQ refinement/enhancement and more of a balance between high and low conductor sensitivity.

If they combine the best of the CTX and the Equinox, they'll hit a home run. I like the Equinox for deep coin hunting, but the CTX gives so much more target information. Combine both and I'm a buyer.

• Like 1