Hi All. Im totally new to all this fun and looking for a little advice....I hope you'll bear with me! I recently decided to build a little sluice for fun in and around the waterways of the UK. having researched it seems the vortex dream mat gets a lot of good press but the price and availability for me in the uk (for what might be  only a passing fad - at the moment ) is too steep. I am lucky to have access to 3d modelling software and mould making erquipment and thought Id give making one a go. Im reaching out to see If anyone has one on this forum and if they could confirm a few dimensions? Fingers crossed and thanks in advance....

990678A9-22F7-4544-8ECF-4E667C273872.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 1:53 PM, big dreamer said:

Im reaching out to see If anyone has one on this forum and if they could confirm a few dimensions?

How big of a sluice are you wanting to make?

I would start with that first and then the mat would fill the inside except for the funnel top section.

For the top I would look at the standard Keene sluice and make it like that  with the rubber mat at the funnel.

Place your insert inside the remainder of the sluice.

Something about 1 1/2 meters long should work for the creeks where you are at. Make the sluice out of aluminum including the funnel for ease of carrying to your location.

Most small sluices are about .15 meters wide with others about .254 meters and they do a great job.

I have made standard sluices from wood and metal and have had good luck with them.

I would like to hear how yours works when you make it. I do like the design of what you have so I will watch this thread for your reply.

• Like 1

There is more to getting the gold than just making a sluice box.....

First and foremost. What is the gold like in your area? 

Is it course gold? Or is it very fine gold?

And yes it does make a difference in what your recovery is going to be.

Coarse gold and nuggets are easy to catch....... Fine gold is another and very different story.

Give us some additional info and we will be better able to help you.

Oh.... and I don't speak metric.....:biggrin:

F43B97EB-AEB4-4522-A1A4-7B1CB7E3CA2B.jpeg

6EDA6E42-39F1-4FBE-A712-E931540E9254_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 4