Garrett Apex Testing Video #1

27 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I don't need anymore detectors.  I mean it this time.

🤣

Thanks for having a good sense of humor.  (I mean putting up with my razzing.)  BTW, the multifrequency selections apparently do use higher than 20 kHz, but Garrett hasn't said (and probably won't) exactly how high.  But I get it -- you're not expecting anything from the Apex that other detectors in your arsenal don't already have.  Neither am I but I can hope to be surprised.  I bet the aftermarket coil manufacturers will jump at the chance, but of course that likely depends on how well the Apex is received.  From what I see on Ebay there are a lot 3rd party coils for the AT series and even some for the low-end Ace.

9 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

....  But I get it -- you're not expecting anything from the Apex that other detectors in your arsenal don't already have.  Neither am I but I can hope to be surprised.   ...

I am quite sure that the Apex will be better than the Equinox in dense iron trash areas . This could be appreciated in Europe where the most important thing for a detector is its ability to manage dense iron trash areas. Also it is a light detector , this is a plus ... Of course for those detecting only in moderate iron trashed areas ( NZ etc 🙂 ) it is different ...

11 minutes ago, palzynski said:

I am quite sure that the Apex will be better than the Equinox in dense iron trash areas .

I hope you're right.  If so, that will get my attention, for sure.

45 minutes ago, palzynski said:

I am quite sure that the Apex will be better than the Equinox in dense iron trash areas . This could be appreciated in Europe where the most important thing for a detector is its ability to manage dense iron trash areas. Also it is a light detector , this is a plus ... Of course for those detecting only in moderate iron trashed areas ( NZ etc 🙂 ) it is different ...

The Apex has a pretty serious out of box edge simply because of the coil... the one coil I’ve wanted since day one for the Equinox, and which Minelab has steadfastly refused to make. That one thing alone is about enough to make me ditch Minelab for Garrett. Almost. Such a shame the Apex is not submersible and lacks full multitones. I could live without the submersible but going to five unadjustable tones would be painful for me.

garrett-viper-6-11-multiplex-search-coil.jpg

• Like 2

At least those unadjustable tones are fairly musical. Palzynski, if the Apex has better recovery speed/target separation ability in thick iron than the Equinox or even the Vanquish I will be pleasantly surprised, but mostly shocked. There are ways to set up the Equinox so that it will do almost as well and the Deus/ORX in thick iron trash. I like having both. 

Jeff

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I don't know if this is just a festering rumour or if it is has some truth to it....

"All this is not cool, because the company actually supports license that protects their technology from other competitors, and there are rumours that other companies will not be able, or legally allowed, to make alternative compatible coils for the new Apex. In their turn, Garrett themselves are not clear about when they release additional coils, and whether they are going to do so in the nearest future at all."

https://detecthistory.com/reviews/garrett-ace-apex-review/

I can’t put much faith in a guy that says things like this “Multi frequency – this feature makes Apex kinda a competitor for XP Deus, which also has the option of search by using every frequency separately, or using all frequencies at the same time.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I can’t put much faith in a guy that says....

After reading his webpage, I don't even think he has swung one, but rather just read over and regurgitated the advertising info Garrett has been distributing since Mid-May.  That makes calling this a 'review' misleading (or worse), IMO.  His comparison at the end with Vanquish and Simplex is even more lame, in multiple ways.

We so much need Garrett to get these on the market so we can get some reasonable and reliable testimonials.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

At least those unadjustable tones are fairly musical. Palzynski, if the Apex has better recovery speed/target separation ability in thick iron than the Equinox or even the Vanquish I will be pleasantly surprised, but mostly shocked. There are ways to set up the Equinox so that it will do almost as well and the Deus/ORX in thick iron trash. I like having both. 

Jeff

Actually I never found on my Eq 800 the settings to do as well as my Deus HF in thick iron trash. Even setting the Equinox  reactivity and iron bias to the max ,the Deus HF "deus fast' factory mode  outperforms the Eq, this without modifying any setting on the Deus.  But I have very special areas ,very old antique houses that have collapsed with plenty of roof rusted nails , perhaps one every 5 or 7 cms ( 3 inches ) , at the surface and the same at depth ... A nails carpet ... Will be interesting to see how the Apex performs there .... Extreme conditions , but I know that if a detector works correctly there , then it can be used everywhere else ... 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

Actually I never found on my Eq 800 the settings to do as well as my Deus HF in thick iron trash. Even setting the Equinox  reactivity and iron bias to the max ,the Deus HF "deus fast' factory mode  outperforms the Eq, this without modifying any setting on the Deus.  But I have very special areas ,very old antique houses that have collapsed with plenty of roof rusted nails , perhaps one every 5 or 7 cms ( 3 inches ) , at the surface and the same at depth ... A nails carpet ... Will be interesting to see how the Apex performs there .... Extreme conditions , but I know that if a detector works correctly there , then it can be used everywhere else ... 🙂

He said almost as well, not as well. Most everyone agrees to Deus has the edge over the Equinox in dense trash. But the consensus also is that the Equinox comes very close, so I do agree Garrett has some work to do there. With identical coil sizes my bet is on the Equinox for recovery over Apex, but stock coil to stock coil, Apex may have a very good chance of surprising people.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

There are ways to set up the Equinox so that it will do almost as well and the Deus/ORX in thick iron trash.

That's good news for me.  I've done pretty well with separation not knowing any special adjustments.  Jeff, can you either link to a thread here that discusses how to adjust the Eqx for maximum separation, or create one?  Separation is the biggest thing I need in a detector and it's the one thing that would push me to buy an Apex if it turns out to be noticeably better than the Equinox.  I even thought about buying an Orx for just that reason -- its separation ability -- but Chase talked me out of it.  (😁 Actually he and I discussed through PM and I decided that this improvement alone over the Eqx likely wasn't sufficient to spend that kind of money.)