Garrett Apex Testing Video #1

One thing I think we enthusiasts at detectorprospector.com need to keep in mind -- Garrett has their way of advertising and this video fits that mold.  In recent years (in particular) they've appealed to the masses rather than the detector zealots.

It's interesting to see their (almost every issue) ads on the back cover of the ICMJ Mining Journal.  Both June and July they've been featuring the Apex.  For many months (~3 years in fact) before that they more/less alternated between the AT/Max and the ATX.  It's hard for me to figure how the Apex (or the AT/Max) is particularly appealing to natural gold detectorists and prospectors.  But Garrett forges on, doing things the way they choose.  Anyone who dares underestimate their marketing effectiveness is in for a jolt, IMO.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Anyone who dares underestimate their marketing effectiveness is in for a jolt, IMO.

You're right!

And I also recognize to them one apparently little plus doing this...One can like or not their product, but for those that want it, from the first announced launch to the market landing time is fast!

1 hour ago, Skullgolddiver said:

And I also recognize to them one apparently little plus doing this...One can like or not their product, but for those that want it, from the first announced launch to the market landing time is fast!

I guess it depends on how you define 'fast'.  There does seem to have been a trend lately by some to announce a new product and then we wait (and wait, and wait).  Note the Apex hasn't made it to market yet, so any award for getting in consumers' hands quickly needs to be kept in reserve until we see that.  I think originally they said second half of July.  Now we're hoping for early August.  Tick, tock, tick, tock,...

• Like 1

I use videos to hear the audio tones.   i make buy decisions based on the feature set as described in the operating manual.   No operating manual up yet for the Apex Ace. 

HH
Mike

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

It's hard for me to figure how the Apex (or the AT/Max) is particularly appealing to natural gold detectorists and prospectors.  But Garrett forges on, doing things the way they choose. 

The AT Gold and AT Max can actually do OK on larger gold if mineralization isn't too bad. With lots of hot and cold rocks along with high mineralization around........they are pretty disgusting to use, however. Been there and painfully done that. 

The Apex however, may just turn out to be a decent prospecting detector IF it is true that Garrett's simultaneous multi frequency range extends above 20 kHz. At least the Apex multi frequency operation, coil size and Dual Volume Control (give me a break please=iron tone volume control, finally!!!) should make the Apex workable in higher mineralization.

Jeff

• Like 1

I took a quick peek at these videos. Garrett must give the “influencers” instructions to not really talk about the detector or to even show it in action much. They all boil down to “I’m using the Apex, and look what I’m finding.” Most of the time you can’t hear the detector or see its responses. Almost no genuine commentary about what is supposed to be a revolutionary new product, for Garrett anyway. For it to be that consistent across all videos leads me to think there are guidelines being complied with. How otherwise can so many people shoot so much video and convey so little actual information?

79AA9FF7-322F-4FD3-B420-42CF31166E9C.jpeg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I took a quick peek at these videos. Garrett must give the “influencers” instructions to not really talk about the detector or to even show it in action much. They all boil down to “I’m using the Apex, and look what I’m finding.” Most of the time you can’t hear the detector or see its responses. For it to be that consistent across all videos leads me to think there are guidelines being complied with. How otherwise can so many people shoot so much video and convey so little actual information?

Yes I entirely agree ,  the Apex is never showed in action in these videos . I wanted to hear the Apex audio , at least a few seconds , no way . Never seen such stupid marketing videos .... I largely prefer the FT Fisher approach with the Impulse AQ and the design engineers directly discussing with the users , like on this forum ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

....  Most of the videos seem like they're made for 5 year olds to watch.

These videos are probably an idea coming from the Garrett marketing dept , but the detector itself may be a ( very ) good machine. I have more confidence in the engineering guys than in the marketing ones , this is true for Garrett but also for car manufacturers etc .... 🙂 

So yes the best thing to do is to forget all these videos stuff and wait for real field tests ... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

I wont be getting an Apex.  (emphasis mine)

6 hours ago, palzynski said:

So yes the best thing to do is to forget all these videos stuff and wait for real field tests....

Pal, maybe you missed what Phrunt said.  He's not waiting to make his decision.  😁

Simon, my advice (cliche') to you:  Never say 'never'".  BTW, related but OT -- the owner of the Washington Redskins (American) football team has agreed to change the team's nickname.  This comes after 5 years ago saying "...NEVER, and I'm putting that in capital letters..."  The fact that team corporate sponsors were going to cancel contracts worth (likely) hundreds of millions of $ might have had something to do with his change-of-heart.  So, Simon, who's going to threaten you with loss of endorsement money??

• Like 1