2 years ago there were bucket loads faster processors than the Equinox has, I doubt the processor has much to do with it.  If it was as simple as a faster processor for the extra $1 in production cost they would have done it 🙂

• Like 3

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took a quick peek at these videos. Garrett must give the “influencers” instructions to not really talk about the detector or to even show it in action much. They all boil down to “I’m using the Apex

APEX TESTING July 6, 2020: KG and Ringy's first video in a series of tests and tips on the new Garrett APEX metal detector. Dual volume controls are featured.  

Rather see how one the members here does with one.

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, phrunt said:

2 years ago there were bucket loads faster processors than the Equinox has, I doubt the processor has much to do with it.  If it was as simple as a faster processor for the extra $1 in production cost they would have done it 🙂

Precisely!  Under specs Garrett lists Apex recovery speed as:

Fast Target Separation/Recovery

Garrett lists the AT Max as:

Fast Recovery Speed

Looks like they got it covered.  :wink:

The key is having an adjustable recovery speed so you can trade off depth vs. separation as the situation dictates.  Deus/Orx/Equinox have that adjustment. That knob is missing on the Apex.  Therefore, the manufacturer is going to dictate a middle ground that best balances depth vs. separation for most situations with Apex.  Which also means that it likely will not rival the aforementioned machines in extreme iron situations.  Simple as that.

• Like 2

Until somebody actually uses an Apex who will genuinely report on it then it’s pure guesswork. One thing is for sure. Garrett positioned this as an Ace, part of its low end range. Don’t believe for one second there is not a reason for that. I would not expect blistering performance. To do so and give it away at a low price is corporate malfeasance, and I don’t think Garrett is that stupid.

garrett-ace-apex-metal-detector-specification.jpg

• Like 2

Someone hit me in the head with a Hammer PLEASE!

• Haha 1
On 7/19/2020 at 7:56 AM, GB_Amateur said:

That's good news for me.  I've done pretty well with separation not knowing any special adjustments.  Jeff, can you either link to a thread here that discusses how to adjust the Eqx for maximum separation, or create one?  Separation is the biggest thing I need in a detector and it's the one thing that would push me to buy an Apex if it turns out to be noticeably better than the Equinox.  I even thought about buying an Orx for just that reason -- its separation ability -- but Chase talked me out of it.  (😁 Actually he and I discussed through PM and I decided that this improvement alone over the Eqx likely wasn't sufficient to spend that kind of money.)

Recovery speed at 6-7. Two tones. Turn sensitivity down to 15-18. Works well in heavy iron. Have to move a little slower because higher recovery speeds make the signals shorter. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 2:24 AM, phrunt said:

All they've done is put me off, I wont be getting an Apex. I hate overly excited loud obnoxious people getting all excited about "finding" amazing finds.  I've done enough detecting now to know the difference between competing products is often minimal and if they are finding it with their current whizz bang detector they no doubt would have also found it with their previous one too.  People who spend the time and put in the effort get the best results, some of these guys seem like they've drank 50 cans of Red Bull, these Red Bullaholics seem to be the people Garrett like to use in their videos.  Most of the videos seem like they're made for 5 year olds to watch.

excellent point! can't expect them to comment in a negative way when garrett is controlling the purse strings.
we will know in time, because the guys in the field laying down hard dollars will tell us so.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

• Like 1
On 7/18/2020 at 3:44 PM, phrunt said:

If I was to buy a new Garrett they'd need to make a high end model, incorporating higher frequencies and some improvements over what I have already.  A thing people are often concerned about is finding good stuff in dense trash and they put up with what I hear are poor ID's on the Deus to get this. I don't care about targets in trash, trash is not an issue for me.   My ideal VLF has good sensitivity to tiny gold, water proof in case I drop it in a creek by accident, a back light, a nice loud speaker and good ID's on very deep coins.  I've got that already.  They'd need to improve on any of those things to spark my interest 🙂 The only thing that may do it is the ability to use aftermarket coils and Nel, Mars and Detech hopefully deciding to pump them out.

I don't need anymore detectors.  I mean it this time.  An Apex isn't in my future.   It's moving in the right direction though as I think specialty detectors are only there for profits in this day and age and I guess because manufacturers like to have 20+ year production runs, multi purpose detectors should now be capable of being good at everything.  Aftermarket coils for my favorite Gold detecting multi purpose VLF and it's virtually nailed it for me, sadly the coils won't happen so if Garrett decides over 20kHz isn't just fluff and they make a high end Multi Freaker they may spark my interest, but seeing 20+ kHz is fluff... I guess that's unlikely.

believe it or not, i am waiting for the "results" of this thing in "dense trash" because that is where i live!...want to be able to 
hunt "cooked" parks and other public sites that have been "burnt" for years.am holding off going after a minelab because want to 
determine if garrett can make a difference, and IF it's (s.m.f.) can possibly improve on the minelab's offerings under those conditions. if not, then i'll invest in the stock, but NOT  the detector, because it will still sell very well.

(h.h.!)

j.t.

On 7/18/2020 at 6:44 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

At least those unadjustable tones are fairly musical. Palzynski, if the Apex has better recovery speed/target separation ability in thick iron than the Equinox or even the Vanquish I will be pleasantly surprised, but mostly shocked. There are ways to set up the Equinox so that it will do almost as well and the Deus/ORX in thick iron trash. I like having both. 

Jeff

this is what i am thinking too!..that little vanquish is headed towards true "sleeper" territory the more people 
use it, the more people are finding out about it.

• Like 1

JT, the Vanquish models are really fun to use and they actually work very well if the hunting conditions aren't too extreme. Would I sell my Equinox and just use the Vanquish. Heck no. I guess if I just wanted to do a little casual hunting now and then and was not totally addicted to metal detecting the Vanquish would be fine....... (sometimes I wish I got paid to detect other than with finds and the experience which are priceless, the hours and hours I have spent in the field...........)

I really hope the new APEX will be just as fun to use and hopefully a little more versatile for more extreme conditions than the Vanquish.

On 7/19/2020 at 6:11 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Until somebody actually uses an Apex who will genuinely report on it then it’s pure guesswork. One thing is for sure. Garrett positioned this as an Ace, part of its low end range. Don’t believe for one second there is not a reason for that. I would not expect blistering performance. To do so and give it away at a low price is corporate malfeasance, and I don’t think Garrett is that stupid.

i was wondering this same thing.the eq 800 sells for $899.00
you can get the apex for $400.00  less than half compared
to the minelab..makes perfect "marketing sense" to me, with such a large disparity
in price, i doubt the garrett will be the "sleeper" that matches the 800's performance over all.
doubt they will make a "ringer" for $400.00..just sayin'

(h.h.!)

j.t.