Garrett Apex Testing Video #1

Man I was so excited that Garrett came out with a new unit in  a multi frequency option. I used to use Garrett machines often and have owned several different ones.

I got on youtube the other night and have noticed a few unboxing videos and first time out with an Apex video. SO I thought they were already on the market.

I was shocked to see that it is still on pre order this morning!! How is that?? I guess because maybe they have somewhat of a following that they are given special permission or privileges from the manufacturers of trying them out first.

However, I see a lot of b.s. over reacting sometimes in these videos that it makes me want to scream. Too much drama......finding silver halves in a hunted out lot......give me a break.

I am looking forward to guys comparing them to other machines in the field though. The Apex machine may be somewhat competitive to the equinox but it is not water proof.....Kind of a step up from a simplex in my opinion with the multi freq option.....but the simplex is still water proof and cheaper.

Anyways........there is a ton of videos on the Apex machine that has not even hit the scene for the public yet. At least when Makro Nokta discusses releasing a unit, they may mention a new unit but it is all kept hush hush until the release.

Covid 19, continued field testing and some rumored software updates are holding up the public rollout. Since there has been no mention of user friendly, at home software/firmware update abilities for the APEX, Garrett needs to get the software as "right" as possible. Speed up the recovery speed some more too Garrett. The tones in the videos I've seen still sound fairly elongated to me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm bored waiting for the Apex to be released already, hopefully someone else comes out with something in the meantime and beats them to it, they've opened themselves up to that by announcing it and showing it off long before it comes to market...  Nokta have had theirs in the works for a long time now, they may just slip it out and shock us all.

Simon - 

I would not slog Garrett too harshly on this...

Apex announced in May probably released NLT September ~4 months during a Pandemic.

Equinox announced with much fanfare at Detectival (remember the skydiver?) in October and released late January ~ 4 months.  With all the Doctor Tones video hype during the wait.

Vanquish teased in May and did not show up for sale until mid-to-late November ~ 6 months after all those ridiculous teaser videos with targets popping out of the ground and detectors stuck in rocks like Excalibur.

Simplex announced later than Vanquish but released before Vanquish (still a 4 to 5 month period from announcement to release) [Nokta just gets it done]

I sure remember a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth associated with the wait for the Equinox.  A little more subdued impatience with the Vanquish delay.

Let's not talk about certain PI detectors and the Mars detector was announced in April and still not out yet...

So far, Apex pretty much seems par for the course.

13 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Yea, I didn't follow the Equinox as at the time I had no plans to get one only wanting gold detectors.  I guess the older I get the grumpier I get and more impatient 🙂  Money burning a hole in the ol' pocket and nobody wants to take it.

XP will take your money.  :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Equinox announced with much fanfare at Detectival (remember the skydiver?) in October

Pretty sure it was mid-September, but 12 + 1 - 9 = 4 so your conclusion looks correct.  I guess the ploy goes like this:  "You're going to be buying a new detector?  Well, we have an innovative model just around the corner!  Why don't you wait just a bit...."

Garrett played this game with the AT./Max, too.  I don't remember the time between teaser and release, though.

11 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

So far, Apex pretty much seems par for the course.

Yep.  I suspect Garrett folks themselves are disappointed, having missed the USA detecting season.  They probably did expect it to be ready in July as they announced.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 9:44 PM, phrunt said:

Yea, I didn't follow the Equinox as at the time I had no plans to get one only wanting gold detectors.  I guess the older I get the grumpier I get and more impatient 🙂  Money burning a hole in the ol' pocket and nobody wants to take it.

send it to me! i need more for buyin' scratch tickets!
i'm depressed! damn virus!

(h.h.!)

j.t.

6 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

Maybe they are waterproofing it.

Doubtful. That would AT LEAST require a significant head unit redesign to accommodate the Garrett AT series style waterproof headphone connector - they are presently just using a run of the mill 1/8” headphone jack.