I found this today and I am not sure what it is. I think it is copper or brass. It has a hole on the bottom and I looks like gears on it? It looks like it should be round, but has smashed. It was found about 5 feet any from a car thermostat I found a few months ago. Is it related to that? It was found where a old driveway was, but is now part of the lawn and a vegetable garden. I might have been smashed by a tiller. 

E3E8210C-EDB4-4B57-83A0-EC208EBD44D7.jpeg

DF58A357-65C7-40DC-8490-541C8B3E72FE.jpeg

911F37C2-F043-41E8-B6CA-165C98B96257.jpeg

28B8D558-AFB7-4D63-93AB-FE3600979FBA.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like a cap off a electrical socket where it was crimped to another piece.  Maybe a thicker coated wire went through it or it had a switch attached.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

Looks like a cap off a electrical socket where it was crimped to another piece.  Maybe a thicker coated wire went through it or it had a switch attached.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

Do you know that for sure. Do you have I picture? I don’t think it was bent like that on purpose.

"Let me know what you think!"

Going by your quote above, it's just a guess.  Maybe you'll get other perspectives.  Hard to tell when I can't feel the weight in my hand.  Good Luck.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

Hole looks like it has a keyway on it. Thinking a cover of some sorts that fit over a shave that had a keyway on it. Maybe the gear or knurl portion was to turn the keyway. Guessing some sorts of machinery or farm equipment?

58 minutes ago, kac said:

Hole looks like it has a keyway on it. Thinking a cover of some sorts that fit over a shave that had a keyway on it. Maybe the gear or knurl portion was to turn the keyway. Guessing some sorts of machinery or farm equipment?

I think it maybe a key slot of some sort. What is a shave? Thanks for responding!

Looks like the sleeve on a electric light switch. The notch is where the on/off knob comes through. IMHO anyway. That one has been smashed, they are round. HH jim tn

Meant shaft sorry for the typo. Could be a rotary light switch but not sure. Seems too long.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d4/05/7c/d4057c48a4879cd92ddb3de5720c82ac.jpg

Any other ideas on what this is?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By TreasureHunter5
      This is a button I found not to long ago. It says W.P.Ry. On the front of it. On the back it says it was made by the Bloch co. who is located in Cleveland, Ohio. It stills has its shank, and is in good readable condition. It is a little banged up, but not to bad. It it some sort of railroad or conductor button? Is it from a fashion company? I did look up the Bloch co, but all I got was pictures of other buttons. All I know that it is a button manufacturer. If you can identify it, or have any guesses, please reply!

• By kac
      Went digging a bit in the woods where I had found many 1800's coins and came across this brass loop of some sorts. Looks like a carry handle of some sorts or is it from a saddle? Also in the middle is what looks like part of a buckle, also brass and was in the same vacinity.

• By TreasureHunter5
      I was going through my great grandfather’s finds that my dad saved when he died in 2006. He kept them for a long time until I kept them with my current finds. I will be posting more from that collection soon! I found these in the bag. Are they curtain weights? Or are they some sort of toy? They are different sizes. There is the size compared to a penny. Let me know what you think.

• By 57buick
      Found this coin in an old neighborhood but google has not helped me figure out year or value? Anybody read chinese or japanese that can give me some insight?

• By mn90403
      I went out for a late beach swing because I had an hour or two.  If I found something I'd stay but as it turns out I didn't charge the Nox.  This was my 4th trip on it.  So the trip was cut short but not until after I found a little ring.  It came it at 17 on beach 1.  It was 6-7" down.  There were so few other targets I knew I needed to dig it.  Soon after I found it the volume dropped significantly and I looked at the battery indicator and it was flashing.  I had about 20 minutes after that before it died.
      So this little ring has a great bit of trauma that I didn't cause.  It would be interesting to know why that happened.  It weighs just 1.7g and the marking on the inside is RSC.  I looked for that marking online and some say it is a gold mark and some say it is a maker's mark.
      What say you?

• By mn90403
      The last few months I haven't been out nugget hunting.  I've been on the beach and a couple of parks.  My posts have been in the jewelry forum.
      It was time to tumble those coins and clean them up for use and maybe see if there was a missed silver.  I have 'limited' shelf space to keep things and I sometimes just pour things together waiting for a time to tumble.  Last night before I went to sleep I did my 3rd tumble and just dumped a cup of stuff into it and got up this morning to take a look and dry the coins.  Well I had stuck in a few crusty pieces of jewelry and a couple of odd finds that were not iron.  I don't remember where I got them or when. 
      After I saw the result of the tumbling I was amazed at one of the pieces.  The weight is 12.8 g and I went and air tested it on my Nox and it says 11.  Neither of these things jogs my memory as to where I got it.  I do know I had saved this piece and a couple of other 'hot rocks' that were odd to me and they weren't magnetic.  There is a 'chance' even that I got this nugget on a beach and that was the reason it has the green color.  I just don't recall and I don't think I took a picture of it with my 'finds of the day' which I often times do.  I would rush out to my coin dealer with an XRF gun and get the analysis but I think they are closed because of the pandemic.
      When I picked it out of the coins (after 5 hours) this morning and saw the polished parts and then still the other parts holding the green I was reminded of both gold and copper.  I think it may be mostly copper and didn't polish more because it is hard but I also think the density is greater than just copper.
      What are your thoughts on the mystery nugget?  I've included different angles.  Don't restrict your thinking to just beach finds.  This could also and I think more probable that it is a desert find that I saved but the corrosion ...