The F75 And T2 - Really The Same Machine?

I have been told the T2 is really just a F75 with different rod, paint and decals. Programs, performance and sensitivity supposed to be same machine and I'm referring to base models only (not special /limited edition models) The T2 is known internationally in distant gold fields as a great nugget shooter. The F75 state side for relics, coins and gold in trashy tailing piles. Are they really the same machine or perhaps "tweaked" just a bit different but kept on the down low by the folks at First Texas. Any insight into this would be appreciated.

They are very similar but they are not the same. The T2 came first and the F75 later. The differences however are more on the coin detecting side than the nugget detecting side of things as the all metal modes are near identical. The short answer is I think I could find gold just as well with either model.

The biggest difference from a practical perspective is the T2 can only use DD coils.The F75 can also employ concentric coils so it has a few more coil options. For instance, the F75 can use the small 4" x 6" elliptical concentric that looks identical to that used on the Gold Bug 2. That coil will not work on the T2.

On the discriminate side the T2 has an expanded iron range which relic hunters prefer. The iron range is from 0 - 39 on the T2 and 0 - 15 on the F75. This could be of slight advantage towards T2 if hunting gold in disc modes in trashy locations.

The F75 saves settings when turned off, T2 does not. F75 has a backlight, T2 does not.

Still, at the end of the day if I had to buy a T2 base model versus the F75 base model strictly for gold detecting I would probably go T2 because it costs less and I am confidant I could find gold as well with either. It is only because I value some of the other non-gold nugget features that I have always leaned F75 personally.

Best bet is to study the owners manuals

T2 Base Model Owners Manual

F75 Base Model Owners Manual

I have done very well with the F75SE which in theory has a tiny edge in all metal boost mode over the basic models that lack the boost mode, but like everything metal detecting it is a minimal edge. http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/finds-Steve-Herschbach.htm

I will close with a warning though. The T2 was one of the first detectors used in Africa to find gold and early on the locals thought it was the only detector that could find gold. As a result it became hugely popular. Not because it really is that superb but just because it caught on first. These days I believe it has largely been supplanted by the Gold Bug Pro in Africa as the locals finally figured out the GBP can hit smaller gold than the T2 or F75 while doing just as well on the larger stuff.

• Like 1

I can't honesty say for sure though I am doubtful there is much difference. However, I did find a post from the man who would know best - Dave Johnson at Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

"Despite their obvious similarities, the T2 and F75 have rather different "front end" circuits.

The F75 is slightly hotter in an air test with no electrical interference, but by a small enough margin that it's hard to prove that margin actually exists under actual field conditions. "Deeper" is a function not just of the electronics, but also how you set up and use the machine under what conditions. Because of differences in scaling, it is not possible to set up a T2 and F75 "exactly the same" in discrimination mode, and in the hands of some users under some conditions those differences would give a slight advantage to the T2 on low conductors.

To simplify all that: both machines are general purpose machines, but between the two, in the hands of most users the T2 will be slightly better for relic hunting and gold prospecting whereas the F75 will be slightly better for coinshooting. That's the basic idea and there's no need to get lost in the details.

--Dave J."

Keep in mind almost all comparison stuff you will hear about is comparing and referring to the discrimination modes. Almost nobody except prospectors use all metal mode much.

Really appreciate you time in the discussion Steve thanks a bunch. Seems like there's enough differences between the two machines that I suppose I'll buy one .Been doing a lot of tailing pile work with the f75 this year and the T2 should be a great addition for this.

BTW, my favorite loop on the f75 for this work has been  the concentric coil and I'm already looking forward to having the T2 within reach should I feel the need to run a DD through the same material

No worries, I have enjoyed the discussion. You could do us all a big favor and if you do get the T2, report back here later about your thoughts on it.

I have been trying to weed my detector collection down for the last year. So far my F75SE has survived the cuts. Not only is it a very powerful and versatile VLF but it feels better on my arm than any other detector I have ever used. Superb ergonomics.