Many Silver Finds Over The Years

Did you find these with a metal detector?

"Did you find these with a metal detector?"

That is correct AB_Amateur, and many more.I live in a rural area and did not have much competition when I first started back in 1979. I have many more that I have kept, as it was good practice to learn how to use the detector for gold prospecting.

• Like 4

Nice collection geof!!

Gotta get Simon to do this with his finds! You two are very lucky to have access to great untouched areas! I wish you many more!!👍👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, geof_junk said:

"Did you find these with a metal detector?"

That is correct AB_Amateur, and many more.

That is impressive.  I'm pretty sure Gerry McMullen filled the first USA Lincoln Cent Whitman folder (1909-1940) from MD finds which is quite a feat.  Your accomplishment is in the same ballpark as that.  You mention that you started in 1979.  But even with that advantage (beating others to the goodies) I'm sure you can count your time in the field in person-years, not hours.

I notice five empty spots in your two folders.  Do you still maintain hope you can fill those from MD hunts (directly)?

I've found only one coin for my 20th Century folders that I started filling as a kid, going through bank rolls and loose change.  I have found a few others that I didn't collect at that level (e.g. 2 cent piece and shield nickel -- 19th Century coins).  There are four Jefferson nickels from the first 25 years (1938-1962) that I never found in circulation in my 60 years of collecting.  I wll be thrilled if I ever get one of them.  Still holding out hope....

• Like 1

That's a whole bunch of smiles right there my friend!!! Great job finding all those fabulous coins. I sure would like to see some of the rest. Its nice you have them in folders to bring back fond memories, I'll bet you remember where you found each and every one. Great job

• Like 1

My lock's have lock's here Simon! We haven't had stuff unlocked since the 60's!🤯👍👍

• Like 1

Great finds over the years, and I wish you good luck on finding the ones that you have missed.

I wish that I could do something like that before my time is up.

• Like 1

The Australian sixpence was a coin used in the Commonwealth of Australia prior to the decimalisation of the Australian currency in 1966. The pre-decimal sixpence was minted from 1910 until 1963, excluding the years 1913, 1915, 1929–33 inclusive, 1937, 1947 and 1949.

The sixpence was the only pre-decimal Australian coin which never had the design on its reverse altered. That is especially surprising given that the coat of arms depicted was obsolete for almost all of that time, having been superseded by the current one in 1912.

During World War II, between 1942 and 1944, sixpence production was supplemented by coinage produced by two branches of the United States Mint. Coins struck at the San Francisco mint (1942–1944) carry a small S below the coat of arms, while those from the Denver mint (1942–1943) have a small D in the same place.

From 1910 to 1945 Australian sixpences were of sterling silver (0.925 fine) with 7.5% copper; from 1946 to 1963 they were reduced to 0.500 fine silver which is made from 50% silver, 40% copper, 5% nickel and 5% zinc.

After decimalisation on 14 February 1966, the sixpence continued to circulate at the value of 5c, along with new 5c coins of the same size and weight.

1-6d.thumb.jpg.c8ee7782365ddac64cc6c60a0bb54564.jpg  

2-6.thumb.jpg.705e9eb1108754c2710a3c7c7d84a5fa.jpg

I forgot to mention some of these coins were found by Wife of 50 years. It was her that wanted a gold detector when I was happy with a small gold dredge.

• Like 3