13.6 Gram Gold Ring Excalibur

Great find .I would say 10 grams=a   honker and 15 grams= a  giant honker like those giant  Canadian geese. You      came very close to that  and those are rare.Did you ever get a ring over 15 grams and do you ever see bull  sharks in the bay since low  salinity does not bother them or  murky water.

• Like 1

Thank You!

I try not think about the bull sharks..😬..I have seen a few fins but we also have skates/rays, so it could have been either. Unless I get bumped I'm ok....but I have left the water a few times in a timely manner. 

I may have about 20 gold rings over 17 grams..my biggest was on my vacation to Chicago a few years ago...then the most interesting one I think belonged to a US Senator from New York. 18k 21 grams if I remember correct.

Short story ..My friend BarryNY on this forum meet the senator at a party and asked if the ring was his, he said no....... but it had his full name on the front..It could have been his and he did not want it to be known to his wife or ...there is another senator out there with the same name missing a US Senators ring. So I got to keep that baby!!

OBN0344 (2).jpg

OBN0346.jpg

DSC_8971.jpg

DSC_8971c.jpg

• Like 8

That is 2  giant honkers and then some.No  words can describe that.It is funny that you got your biggest gold ring in freshwater even though they are more like inland seas.What did you think of hunting lake Michigan and freshwater ?Was it the only  time you hunted it ?You got a great big ring in a great big lake.All rings over 30 grams are now called OBN  Great  lakes special type ring.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dances With Doves said:

That is 2  giant honkers and the some.No  words can describe that.It is funny that you got your biggest gold ring in freshwater even though they are more like inland seas.What did you think of hunting lake Michigan and freshwater ?Was it the only  time you hunted it ?You got a great big ring in a great big lake.All rings over 30 grams are now called OBN  Great  lakes special type ring.

Thank You, Think I hunted the lakes twice. The second time I forgot my water shoes so I was stuck to the dry sand so I found nothing but enjoyed the sights...........But the First time... I was amazed how the winds control the water, it was like a mix of hunting the ocean and the bay. Just like all other spots, sand moves...it can be good and bad. Just have to be there when they open. Lucky I got there a few days before the big storm..15 to 17 foot waves..I was out the next day for 6 hours....the big ring was so big I thought it was junk...and I put it away thinking that...Crazy it turned out to be a honker! Metal detecting has been very good to me, In all ways..Very Blessed.

• Like 1

Congrats on the biggun Joe. That's the third time I have heard bull sharks today😱. You know how I feel about them.

• Oh my! 1

Fantastic finds and I hate sharks also, that and the jelly fish.

Hope your luck continues on your next hunt, and don't let Illinois know about those finds as they will want to tax you for it.

• Haha 1