Dirt Digest Online Magazine

https://dirtdigestmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Emailing-ddjuly2020.pdf

I stumbled onto this well written (67 page current issue) online magazine.  I don't know if this was meant to take the place of the now defunct hardcopy Lost Treasure and Western and Eastern Treasures but I actually find it better written than some of the late issues of those.  It appears non-partisan (manufacturer-wise).  Included is an interview with a field tester of the Garrett Apex although it seems to be similar to the YouTube videos by other Garrett 'homers' (this interview is of Gypsy Jewels -- wonder if that's her birth name -- who has her own YouTube channel) so don't expect any new revelations.  I still think it's worth reading as is the rest of the magazine.  Articles are mostly coin and relic hunting although there is one (rather introductory) about Midwest gold prospecting as well as a typical lost 18th Century horde article.

It appears they've been publishing monthly since April 2019.  Here is their explanation:

About Us

Here at Dirt Digest Magazine we have a simple mission: Bring the wonderful world of metal detecting, gold prospecting and artifact hunting to the masses.

When Dirt Digest Magazine was in the concept stage we had some good long talks about how to separate ourselves from the competition. Priority #1 was to write for the readers, not for the advertisers. That is actually uncommon in the industry and in doing so we may have alienated ourselves from some potential sponsors. However, we wanted to bring the best of the best to all of our subscribers and let the advertising speak for itself.

Then, of course, there was cost. Dirt Digest Magazine has a global message and reaching an audience of that size can be a daunting task. Sure, we could charge a premium for subscriptions to our content, but that would limit the audience greatly. That is why all subscriptions to Dirt Digest Magazine are free and always will be.

Finally, we want to be able to showcase those that deserve a voice. Being a digital platform we are not bound by the constraints of printing costs and setup fees. We are able to bring our readers more content and reach a larger audience.

So as you can see, we are doing things a little differently. We may be ruffling some feathers in the industry, but that’s okay. Times change and Dirt Digest Magazine is leading the charge.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As I dig a bit deeper into this magazine, I see that Mike Haer is a major player (editor).  He's a member here and in fact did an online podcast interview with Steve H. a couple years ago.  Here is his 'first impressions' of the Apex from his website.

• 5 months later...

I'm back! P

I wanted to address a few things here. First is Gypsy - she is one of the most humble, sweet, hardcore detectorists I've ever met. She's been detecting for about 25 years and has swung detectors from all the major manufacturers. Lol no it's not her real name but as you can imagine being a female in this hobby she has dealt with some serious inappropriate behavior. She's also a cohost on our all metal mode podcast every Monday night.

Steve - I apologize, life has been crazy and hectic. All is good just a lot going on. I would still love to discuss that with you.

Dirt digest magazine - without getting into much detail, myself and my good friend are in the process of acquiring it. Big changes and improvements are coming so stay tuned.

• Like 5

Can you tell me the podcast? Id really like podcasts about prospecting and gold detecting.. thanks!!....

Nevermind I found it.. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 12:44 PM, Robert Eaton Jr said:

Can you tell me the podcast? Id really like podcasts about prospecting and gold detecting.. thanks!!....

Nevermind I found it.. Thanks

I see that you found it. Unfortunately none of us are gold prospectors who do the podcast but only because we aren't in areas that produce much gold. Hopefully I can get Steve Herschbach back on the podcast though!

• Like 1

Interesting article of the Competition Hunt in TX.  Heck they gave away a brand new Chevy Truck. 

I've done my share of those style of Speed Hunts and actually was really good in the top 10 most of the time.  But these hunts were of only a few hundred people.  Betty Weeks and Lucile Bowen were out of the NW and the hunt was at Farragut State Park in North Idaho.  I won a few detectors back then, but no trucks.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Betty Weeks and Lucile Bowen were out of the NW

I bought my first gold detector from Harry and Lucile at Bowens Hideout. They had one of the replicas of the Hand of Faith nugget on display in their shop...talk about a whopper!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Betty Weeks and Lucile Bowen.

Won a few detectors at the Texas Hunts back in the 90's.

Here's Betty with her display of brass nozzles at the Texas Treasure Expo. ( I think that what it was called ) and some of the detectors that were for prizes in the competition hunt.

806181422_Scan1022(1372x999).thumb.jpg.29515b362abc800dfe4758f2fb0de7cf.jpg1380394038_Scan1044(1372x999).thumb.jpg.a3d7021156ce58e7eaa31b209e2b718c.jpg1212160707_Scan1047(1429x999).thumb.jpg.c55154617604de93242aa1aae73829c2.jpg

• Like 2