White's DFX Vs Nokta Simplex

This is just a fun comparison because there is no way  I'm going to buy another detector at this point but near me I see a good looking used DFX for the price of $250.  That is so similar in price to the Simplex that I am interested in which would be considered the superior detector or at least how they stack up.  From what I know they are both considered coin and relic detectors, the DFX is multi-frequency, and the Simplex is considered to have many of the newest features at a low price point.

• Like 1

It is a great deal on that DFX. I believe it to be a more versatile unit than the simplex. The only draw back other than the DFX not being water proof to me would be the batteries it takes to keep the DFX up to snuff out in the field.  Other than that the spectra graph on the DFX coupled with the ability to run in multi freq is an advantage it has. I like the numbering system for whites machines as well. Nokta's TID numbers are fairly good. The durability of the DFX was great for its time. However, it is a crap shoot getting the DFX especially since what has become with Whites.

The push button pads on the whites DFX are known to go out and without having a replacement to install, it would turn into a brick I am afraid. There are a few coils left to be had but will an after market company still make coils for a business that is no longer in production?

I believe with all of the adjustments one can do with the DFX it is a superior machine compared to the simplex. The simplex may be deeper due to the larger 11" search coil.

So with these to take into consideration from my point of view and for fun if you will on what I would take.....I think I would take the simplex  for these reasons. 

The replacement part availability will be lacking very soon on the DFX. Also I know the DFX can get a rechargeable battery too but I have had several of those crap out on me through the years as well. The price of a package of AA batteries if bought at the big box stores are about 12 bucks for 16 batteries plus tax. If you use headphones with the DFX you might can get in three 4 hour hunts on a set if your lucky. So that is $6.00 every time you need to replace batteries.

With the larger coil size that is DD style, being waterproof, has a rechargeable battery and a straight rod set up, the better deal to me would be purchasing the Simplex.

HH Tim

• Like 2

I have replaced all my AA and 9 volts with lithuim rechargeables so you may pay around $25 for 4 aa's or 2 - 9v's but just a few recharges you have recovered your costs. Power on them is much more consistant. Only downside is when they are about to run out (usually 1 1/2- 2x the run times of alkalines) your battery indicator may only show a bar down then none. With that in mind keep a mental note the last time you charged them or pack an extra set.

As an owner of the Multi Kruzer I have found the audio takes some getting used to when compared to my Tesoro but it is very precise. From what I have seen on the forums about the Simplex it seems similar. Lastly if it is chattery then nudge up the discrim. Factory sensitivity is a good start and it should have plenty of power under the hood where conditions allow.

Heart breaking about Whites, had my eyes on a TDI for a while and never pulled the trigger on one. I agree with bigtim1973 on the Simplex.

• Like 3

another plus for the simplex vs dfx is the warranty on the simplex vs none on the outdated dfx. just another point to consider in your choice.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2020 at 9:23 AM, bigtim1973 said:

If you use headphones with the DFX you might can get in three 4 hour hunts on a set if your lucky. So that is $6.00 every time you need to replace batteries.

Run time on a set of batteries in the DFX is more like 25 or 30 hours, not 5 or 6.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have used the Simplex, owned a Racer 2, Kruzer and Multi Kruzer. I also owned a DFX and have a V3i.  EMI was an issue with all of them.

The Nokta Makros could hit targets deeper in my bad dirt than the DFX. The Nokta Makros could not correctly identify any low to medium conductive target past 3" depth as far as giving the the right numerical target ID or the right tone when using more than two tone audio. They are solid, well built detectors with excellent features. If I was going to choose between a Simplex and a used Kruzer (about the same price) I would get the Kruzer personally. I know that is not a choice you were thinking about but just my two cents.

The DFX in multi frequency discrimination modes is not as deep as the Nokta Makro detectors. It will identify all coin sized targets very well down to about 6" deep and will hit coin sized targets in my bad dirt at 8" well with the stock 9.5" coil in 15 kHz single frequency. The Signagraph display is awesome and so are the tones, variety of settings and programming/customizing possibilities. You do not get all of these custom choices with the Nokta Makros. The DFX is well built. If you already have a TDI SL, the batteries are compatible. If you have a TDI Pro, they aren't.

Which would I get if accurate target ID is an issue that is important to you, in bad mineralization I would get the DFX. In normal dirt I would get the Kruzer (used) or Simplex (new). If raw target depth, waterproof and more modern features is more important I would get the Simplex or Kruzer. If you happen to have hearing problems, the Nokta Makro vibrate feature is amazing. I also forgot to mention that recovery speed/target separation and sweep speed among many others on the DFX is adjustable. I do believe the recovery speed is faster on the Nokta Makro detectors however.

Jeff

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kac said:

I have replaced all my AA and 9 volts with lithuim rechargeables so you may pay around $25 for 4 aa's or 2 - 9v's but just a few recharges you have recovered your costs.

kac, would you please post a link, or at least a brand and product ID?  Ditto on a charger if they don't come with one?

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=blackube+rechargeable+batteries&crid=1E81K6M4KWYZE&sprefix=blacku%2Caps%2C169&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_6_6

I have happen to be using the Blackube brand which use usb cords to recharge them. Approx 2 hours to recharge time. There are other brands that are similar and probably work as well.

I did have 1 faulty battery that Blackube did replace without issue so they do stand behind their products.

Forgot to mention make sure you choose the right voltage, 1.5v are the ones for AA's.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 10:27 AM, Jim in Idaho said:

Run time on a set of batteries in the DFX is more like 25 or 30 hours, not 5 or 6.

Jim

I mean 3 four hour hunts. So that makes about 12 hours a set. I did not know the dfx would go to 25 hours but I knew the MXT and m6 could. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Never used a Simplex so cannot give any form of opinion on that detector but i have used and still own my old faithful DFX,it was my main machine for about 14 years and found me some absolutely amazing finds over the years,but gradually the T2  and Deus took the crown from the DFX and i guess one could say the DFX is in semi retirement.

As its a public holiday here in the UK next monday i have the machine sat in the corner with its 12'' Hotshot coil and the RNB battery pack which was last charged at Easter but still almost got a full battery charge in it,could well take it out over the weekend to blow the old cobwebs out on it and rekindle some of the old thoroughly enjoyable days that this machine has provided.

Since i stopped using the DFX and my original T2 as my main machines and started using the Deus for 6-7 years and Equinox about 14 months ago,my finds rate has dropped and not by just a small amount but by a massive amount.

Over the weekend both the Deus and Nox have become backup machines and the T2 and DFX have become once again the machines that have provided me the largest amount of both silver hammered coins and gold hammered and milled coins.

• Like 4