Want A List Of Detectors That Can Find Iron Relics

I love finding iron relics. I think I like finding iron relics even better than gold jewelry lol. The Xp Orx and Equinox 800 do not hit iron relic well. I had a T2 that couldn't hit iron relics good and if I remember right the Multi Kruzer also didn't hit iron relics good.

Detectors I have used that are great on iron relics are:

Lobo ST & Tejon I miss these 2 detectors.

Deeptech detectors 

Gold Kruzer in Deep mode hits bigger iron great

Nokta Relic was great. I miss it.

Here are some iron relics I have found. I don't know what the top one is. I was guessing a bottle opener maybe? A door knocker?

iron.jpg

• Like 1

I can’t imagine any detector not finding iron well if set properly. Many machines have default settings set to reject iron. The machines you say don’t find iron well.... I’m just scratching my head over all that. My Equinox loves iron. In general metal detectors love iron objects. The only thing I’d be looking for in a iron relic machine might be an expanded ferrous target Id range. Personally I’d consider the T2 to be an excellent machine for finding iron, so I guess there is something I am missing here.

• Like 4

I'm guessing he probably meant finding larger iron while still discriminating most small nails. I used the GPX and recently tried the AQ while searching for iron case shot and large cannon ball fragments., I did get one case shot with the GPX.

15 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I'm guessing he probably meant finding larger iron while still discriminating most small nails. I used the GPX and recently tried the AQ while searching for iron case shot and large cannon ball fragments., I did get one case shot with the GPX.

Well, in that case again I don’t understand why the T2 would not be a good choice. Anyway, for me the difficulty is in finding machines good at eliminating iron, not the other way around. With few exceptions most good VLF detectors misidentify many ferrous objects as non-ferrous. Large hardened steel items like ax heads and pick heads, etc. Hardened steel washers. Flat “tin” steel. Etc.

• Like 4

I have a friend that uses a Vanquish 340 with the All Metal mode to find 1st WW iron relics here in France . 

From my standpoint ( coin hunting ) I recently discovered that the Vanquish AM mode is perhaps better than the coin or jewellery modes because it gives a better understanding of the soil contents , ferrous or non ferrous , this without any filtering . Just my opinion

The Vanquish is a very accurate detector and Irons can be very easily recognized with their low tones . It is also a deep machine because of the MultiIQ , so perhaps the Vanquish could be a good machine for what you are looking for ( irons ) , this with an outstanding value for money ( only 240e over here , the price of a coil  .. )

All my metal detectors love iron. GPX loves iron too but depending on which timing you use it can pass right over some iron relics. I found this out a while back when a buddy asked me to go over a few targets he had located with his Equinox. I was running sensitive extra because I knew from past experience that it did better in square nails than the other timings. Two of the targets he had marked I couldn't get a peep out of with the GPX. One turned out to be an iron ring about the size of a silver dollar and the other was a 6 inch long iron spike. I though that was very interesting.

Yes I want nails disc or notched out. With the Gold Kruzer, Nokta Relic, Lobo & Tejon I can set disc to take out nails and it hit's great with a solid high tone all around it on all my iron finds.

The gun part with the Orx w/9" hf and Nox w/6" with nails disc'ed it will hit good 1 way and breaks up the other way. I know the Nox can find iron but not with the great hits with the above detectors. I wouldn't take the Orx or Nox out when I want to dig iron relics. The T2 in 1 tone with nials disc'ed didn't hit my iron relics well.

So I guess I'm saying detectors that hit iron relics all around with a sold high tone.

A detector like the Tejon. I guess it hits a high tone on iron bigger than nails.

I'll try it with the Equinox. Notch out an old rusty nail and dig the low tones if I want to. I also try blocking 8 and 9. That should work if I want to dig some iron. It is nice having all those adjustments. I'll compare some signals to the Gold Kruzer.

On the Nox, I found that big iron hits well around 14 or 15, and sometimes again in the mid to high 30's.

• Like 1