First Chain With The Rake

I was thinking "The Beachelor". 😄

• Like 2

All those rakes miss the contaminated body piercings..... time to dig out your micro jewelry hunting gear!

• Oh my! 1

Curious if you could put in a finer screen on bottom 1/3 of that rake if it would catch the smaller stuff?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kac said:

Curious if you could put in a finer screen on bottom 1/3 of that rake if it would catch the smaller stuff?

I think there is a trade-off between what can be found and the amount of drag created by adding things to the rake. Going to know more after tomorrow's hunt.

• Like 2

I agree but thinking why such large holes over the entire area. I had put some inbetween wires on my RTG scoop just on bottom and on the lower side and did help snag the smaller items. Took them off and been thinking of brazing some in so they don't slip around. I was able to still shake out the corse stuff. Only thing I can think of that might make it a fail is if the sand just rolls the small stuff through the path of least resistance. I guess it might be effective it you could skim the surface in a pass if you can control how deep it digs in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kac said:

I agree but thinking why such large holes over the entire area. I had put some inbetween wires on my RTG scoop just on bottom and on the lower side and did help snag the smaller items. Took them off and been thinking of brazing some in so they don't slip around. I was able to still shake out the corse stuff. Only thing I can think of that might make it a fail is if the sand just rolls the small stuff through the path of least resistance. I guess it might be effective it you could skim the surface in a pass if you can control how deep it digs in.

Here's the new rake I just got from another forum member:

IMG_20200723_171432.jpg.1ef1f2c504d0aff4175c270ffa47a746.jpg

It actually is a pretty nice design. It has holes in the back of the tines for adding hooks or anything else to fill those gaps between them. The tube the tines are attached to is hollow with a threaded cap and lead weights are placed inside the tube to control the depth of cut.

• Like 2

Looks like a device to torture people with. Do you hang a mesh basket in the back?

38 minutes ago, kac said:

Looks like a device to torture people with. Do you hang a mesh basket in the back?

I'm going to try it as is to start with. Next time I might add hooks or some thing else. If all else fails I'll sell it to some Roman gladiator to use in battle. 🙂

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, kac said:

So that is basically for chains then?

Yes, pretty much only chains.

• Like 1